Sign in to follow this  

CRF230F vs XR200R

I'm considering upgrading from my '99 XR200R to a CRF230F. But before I do, I'm trying to decide if it'll be an upgrade. I posted this on the CRF230 forum but wanted to get some feedback from this forum as well. Keep in mind, I'm 5'8" and 150 lbs. I've got an XR250R that I don't ride nearly as much because it is just too big for me.

I went riding this Sunday on some fairly bad-a$$ terrain. (For those of you in North Alabama: Chapman Mt. in north Huntsville.) Operative word - grease. It is rocky, it had poured rain Saturday night, and the four-wheelers spread the mud e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. Lots of steep climbs with bowling ball sized rocks and smooth roots slimed up with mud. It was awesome!

I rode my '99 XR200R. My buddies rode, respectively, a YZ250 and a KTM 250 of some kind. (His bike was too muddy for me to see which one it was.) But they were both 2Strokes and in a different class. But my little XR hung with them much of the way, especially on the tight single track . I really felt the weaker motor on the climbs and the spongy suspension over some of the rocks , and my drums were taxed on the descents at times , but for the most part, I really like that little bike a lot more than my '94 XR250R which is sort of bulky for me on this kind of terrain. One of the reasons I like it is because it is so light compared to my 150 lbs soaking wet.

Question is, am I going to like a CRF230 as much as my XR200? The XR is 223 pounds. The CRF is 238. Is the motor and suspension on the 230 enough of an improvement to make me go out and buy one, when it would be cheaper to upgrade my XR200? (Still, I'd like that 18" rear wheel and front disc.)

Keep Ridin',

John

Question is, am I going to like a CRF230 as much as my XR200? The XR is 223 pounds. The CRF is 238. Is the motor and suspension on the 230 enough of an improvement to make me go out and buy one, when it would be cheaper to upgrade my XR200? (Still, I'd like that 18" rear wheel and front disc.)

Keep Ridin',

John

John, the 230 isn't really any "faster" then the 200. The 200 gives up 30ccs but gains a point in compression ratio. I can start my 200 with my hand; I don't see why a 200cc bike needs an electric start.

I think the smart money is modding your bike. A late-80s CR or XR fork bolts on and gives you a cartridge fork (on the CRs) and a disc (both). A pre-1990 XR200 shock has adjustable compression and rebound... the CRF doesn't have it. Pre-1990 XR200 forks are better than the forks on your bike... they're a little taller and better valved but retain the drum brake.

That being said, with a CR fork and older XR shock your bike will be quite a bit taller. The CR or XR forks won't bolt directly on; there's a little bit of fiddling to make everything fit.

If you shop around on eBay, or better yet in a local bike junkyard if one is close by, you can score a complete CR front with wheel and a XR200 shock for under $200 for the pair. Because both are old parts they'll need to be rebuilt and this would be a good time to get both revalved for your weight and riding style.

A late-80s XR250 18" wheel and hub mounts with no modifications.

IMHO, it's always more fun to build a bike than it is to buy one. Putting together a custom XR200 is something to be proud of.

Edit: Since you already have an XR250, why not swap the XR250's fork to the XR200 and do an upside-down fork conversion for your XR250? USD on an XR250 is a bit of overkill, but it sure looks cool.

"O"

Look at the KTM 200 2-smokes. The 200 is a 125 with more torque.

My 2004 KTM 200SX is 217 lbs ready to ride, no gas.

I am use to lugging my XR400R around and I didn't have a problem on the KTM.

An inexpensive 2-stroke is the KDX200. They haven't changed much in years, like XR's, but in the same way, they are great trail bikes.

• Like 1

Hey buddy, We ride Chapman often. Nice trails downtown Huntsville! You try Big Momma! I busted it it 20 feet from top. Been swimming there in Feb too in those deep water holes.. Question is how big are you going to get next year. My 15 year old has a XR200 and the last year has grown from 5'9 to 6'2 and put on 35 lbs. Now he rides my 89 XR250 just fine, loves it! So you are looking at a growth spurt a 230 will only last you a year. Friend of mine in Huntsville has a nice 95 KDX200 for $1000 ready to ride. PM me Let me know when you guys go and we will ride with you.

http://gelanz.com/colonialhills.jpg

Hey buddy, We ride Chapman often. Nice trails downtown Huntsville! You try Big Momma! I busted it it 20 feet from top. Been swimming there in Feb too in those deep water holes.. Question is how big are you going to get next year. My 15 year old has a XR200 and the last year has grown from 5'9 to 6'2 and put on 35 lbs. Now he rides my 89 XR250 just fine, loves it! So you are looking at a growth spurt a 230 will only last you a year. Friend of mine in Huntsville has a nice 95 KDX200 for $1000 ready to ride. PM me Let me know when you guys go and we will ride with you.

http://gelanz.com/colonialhills.jpg

I'm 41 and probably not going to grow much more. Of course, my 14 year old son is about to pass me and has commandeered my '94 XR250R. He thinks he can tell me what to do now. NOT! So I'm looking at a bike I'll be keeping for a while. I actually bought the 200 for him but I fell in love the little machine.

We didn't do Big Momma. It was covered up with 4Wheelers when I was there. It's a meat grinder with those boys lugging it up and down. The place was packed. 'Parking Lot' was full. There was almost no where to park. We spent a lot of time on the back side of the loop riding single track you almost can't see. There are a couple of difficult hill climbs back there.

Where else do you ride around here? I just joined NATRA and am looking forward to going up to West Point. I hear it is really nice riding. And I've cut a bunch of single track on the East side of Huntsville Mtn. I'll look you up when we head back up there.

John B.

I checked out your site. Great map of Colonial Hills. I'm interested, is that whole site yours? Even the stuff with the Bob Jones Soccer? A friend and I just formed MSSL, the Middle School Soccer League for Huntsville City Middle Schools. We've had a really great response for being our first year. Something like 12 teams. I'm coaching the Hampton Cove team.

I spend my days in an office in research park. If you're in that part of town shoot me an email and we'll go grab some lunch some time. jbrewer@miltecmissiles.com

Keep Ridin,

John

SI'm 41 and probably not going to grow much more. Of course, my 14 year old son is about to pass me and has commandeered my '94 XR250R. He thinks he can tell me what to do now. NOT!

Oops! Somehow I thought the 14 year old was riding the 200. My 15 year old knows it all too! You cannot tell them anything is right! He has comandered my XR250 also. NATRA has the best riding in North AL/ Southern TN you will find. $50 a year per family and you get a key to the place! Beat that! I have been riding there two years and still have not covered half of it.

http://gelanz.com/natra.html