Sign in to follow this  

bottom end rebuild costs

im rebuilding the bottom end on my 2000 kx125 and i have all the parts(complete crank, oil seals, complete gasket set, main bearings) now the issue is doing it...i have the motor out of the frame and clutch and ignition covers off and clutch pressure plate and disks out but im just running into crap. my kickstarter was being stubborn and allen bolt stripped out meaning i couldn't take off my right side engine cover, i dont have a flywheel puller, and don't have a clutch holder to take off the nut holding the clutch hub and basket...so the engine is at the dealer rite now getting those things taken off. after that i will take off the clutch assembly, external shift mech, stator, primary drive gear and ect. until the cases are ready to be split. if the cases are completely ready to split how much do you think the dealer will charge to put in the crank, main bearings, and oil seals where needed(labor only)

Most of the dealers around here are charging $80 and hour. Find a family member or friend that has a press in their garage and do it yourself. The cases can be split with a rubber mallet and some care. The bearings can be pressed out and the new stuff pressed in.

80 bux! holy Shis, i would hope the mechanics that work on that are factory team mechanics if they charge that much. most places in nevada are 60 (which isnt much cheaper, but 80 bux is a rip off) and i found one place that charged 40 an hour and they did a good job on my 450's crank. it took them about 4 or 5 hours, i still had the fly wheel on and clutch. it should only take them a couple hours to get the job done on your 125 if all the have to do is split the case to take the crank out and they dont shoot the breeze. but if you have it down to splitting the case why not just replace the crank yourself?

i dont want to do these steps because they seem like you have to be very precise( my manual sais bearings must be pressed in to a depth of .247 in or something)i am not the greatest mechanic(a.d.d.-i forget stuff and go nuts when i can't get something right)

whatever you do don't use a press you can break your cases real easy with that putting a bearing in, and especially don't use a lot of heat on the cases to get the bearings out. Aluminum warps very easily and you could have issues down the road. The best way to get you cases apart is by using a case splitter, you can get it from motion pro. You can also get them apart if you split them at the motor mounts, DO NOT pry them apart on the surface where anything seals. Trannies are easy, if you pay attention to what your doing and how it came apart it's easy to put back together. But if your not confident, a shop's labor rate is worth every penny for how much you have to spend on parts if you mess it up. Besides, if a shop messes it up, you have someone to compensate you for a mess up.

whatever you do don't use a press you can break your cases real easy with that putting a bearing in, and especially don't use a lot of heat on the cases to get the bearings out. :applause: Dude what do you think the shops use to put bearings and cranks into the cases with??? It is true damage can be done if you don't know what your doing. I pressed out the old bearings and pressed in the new bearings and crank without any problems. You simply put the crank and bearings into the freezer for a few hours and then heat the bearing race in the case for a few seconds and the bearings and crank go in with minimal pressure from the press. I have been to the local shops and have seen the kids working in the back and would not let them work on a tonka truck. My bike is running like a raped ape and I take personal pride in my work. But were all entitled to our opinions.

You use a bearing and seal driver set. The bearings go in and out to easy in a bottom end to use a press. I've re-built numerous bottom ends sucessfully this way. I like to be able to feel how the bearing is going in not just crank a lever and watch. I work in a shop and have been in many colleagues shops and they will crucify you for using a press; you don't need a big press to put bearings in, just a driver set and some precision. You can mess something up way to easily using a press.

yeah im definetly gonna get the cases split someway other than the dealer they charged me 36 bux for pulling out my kickstarter which had a stripped bolt, pullin the flywheel, and taking off the clutch nut! what a ripoff

$70 is the average hourly rate for any mechanic. but for the clutch holder you dont need one, just impact it off. the kickstart just drill a hole right in the middle until the head of the bolt comes off, and splitting the cases just get all of the bolts out and take a rubber mallet to it(with care of course) then for putting the new bearings on the crank just freeze the crank and heat up the bearings to about 150 degrees then they just slide on. then freeze the whole crank and bearings and put the cases back together. the transmission is pretty complicated so when you pull the cases apart have the engine sideways and look at all of the gears where they are and try not to move them while pulling the cases apart. but it really isnt that complicated. good luck. or just take it apart as much as you can and take it to a dealor and have them split the cases and put the new crank in. then you just put it back together.

I just did a complete top and bottom on my son's KX85. I also did everything myself except for splitting the case.

I take all of our toys to one guy and one guy only and have established a real good working relationship for those times when I "just cannot do it myself". He charged me $100 to split the case and he installed the crank, rod and bearings, and of course put the case back together.:applause:

I would suggest finding a local rebuild shop, not a dealer, with a good reputation and see what they can do for you. The MX family is usually very helpful, especially if you are humble about the fact that you truly need help.

Good luck :applause: