Sign in to follow this  

set spring rates for 2 people, same bike

I`m getting a 2nd bike (KDX 220). I want to have a bike for my sons to ride when they come to visit me. They are both within 15 lbs. of each other and about the same hight. so that wont be a problem for tuning. The problem is that I want to ride it also. They are about 170lbs., I am 235lbs. none of us are great riders or anything but I don`t want it to be horrible for me to ride in the woods. The back shock spring wont be a big problem because the difference is only 2 spring rates between us. So I figure I could get by just cranking it up some when I ride it. The front forks are the problem. I need to get stiffer springs even for the boys to have it set for them. But if I set it up for me it will beat them to death. If I were to put like a 1in.spacer in the forks above the springs would it make the springs bind when compressing? If that would work then I could take them out in a few min. and it would be set for the boys. I would also like to know what weight fork oil would be best to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If the spacers would work how big do you think I could get away with? I got the bike for me but when the boys found out I got a second one they want to ride with me sometimes.

the best thing would be if you have springs shorter and stiffer than stock with a spacer to use it for you and then put the spacers out and replace them with a short spring (you get an overall softer spring) for your boys. that sounds easy but you have to know details about the springs so that may be difficult.

Your idea with just spacers is not really good because the springs will not become harder, you are just higher in the stroke. then you have to know also the travel of the spring. if you have a fork travel of 300mm and a spring travel of 310mm for example and preload them with 30mm, you will reduce the forktravel to 280mm.

wait for other replies and if you like my idea you are welcome to ask further questions