Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starting CRF250 (HELP!)

To start with I have read until my eyes are about to pop out, but I haven't found the same problem in the posts. I have a 2004 CRF250, just bought it used. This bike is very hard to start, pulled choke, blipped the throttle a couple of times and start kicking. After quite a few kicks it starts and runs great until I kill it, then hot start and start kicking again. I brought it back to the garage and put in a brand new NGK IMR8C-9H spark plug and it would start with the first two kicks, I shut it and started it numerous times within two kicks. This is the kicker, I took it back out and tried to run it again and it pops and cracks and bogs down horribly. Why would it start and idle perfect with the new plug but run so crappy. Any help would be appreciated.:applause:

Especially with a used bike that is new to you, I'd suggest you do a full carb cleaning, jetting check and, very importantly, a valve clearance check. Also, be sure all exhaust and carb connections are properly tight. Unless you know the bike's history for sure, a little upfront maintenance can prevent big problems.

I also ride an 04 CRF250R and I second old19's comments... Check the valve clearance first! Esp. on a bike that's used and new to you... even if they are good you will have a baseline to know when they start moving on you. Cleaning out the carb never hurts either, esp. if it's been sitting a while? it could be all gummed up? Where in Oklahoma are you? We ride Draper for fun and the kids race at Motocity... We are going to try and get out and try some more places this summer. (just moved here last summer)

i would check the carb and jetting. Also maybe the gas in the bike was old or crappy cheap gas. Try using new fuel by draining the tank completely and refilling it. I would check the little things on the bike before checking and doing a top end rebuild which could dent the pocketbook.

Thanks to everyone, I found a mechanic to check & shim the valves if necessary and rework the carb. This bike is also very hard to kick, he said something about the decompression cam and that it may not be working correctly and that may be the problem with the hard kick start. He told me $150.00 to do it all. I'll be dropping it off soon. Thanks again. :applause:

bnc98... Man, bring it over to my house... I will check and shim the valves (if required) and clean up the carb for $150... plus I will show you how to do it next time so you won't have to pay someone :applause: Oh hell, who am I kidding I am cheap... no money just provide the beer :applause: It's really not that hard once you do it, you will kick yourself for paying someone.

Seriously, if you live near Moore and want to bring it over I will show you how to do it... PM me if interested...

Ya learn to do it yourself did my first shim job myself not that bad. It did take me acouple of hour though, my right intake was 0 so I had to guess where to start shim wise. But I did figure out how to get the cam back in pretty easy the second time around plus picked right size shim the second time to put it back in spec. Im sure next time it will be alot quicker. I own a CRF 250 and 450 so I figured it was time I learn. Now I can save up for when I need to replace the valves and recut seats.

Go and get a 10 dollar feeler gauge and a manual and do it yourself. It takes less than a half hour and u know that u did and someone else isn't messing with your motor. it isn't hard even is u have to shim. there is a sticky at the top of the CRF 250r forum that goes through this whole process (checking and shiming) good luck. also cleanin your carb wouldn't b a bad idea