Sign in to follow this  

Buying used, 05, 06 or earlier

G'day...

After having an xr250 for a year or so, looking at buying a 2stroke for a fun woods bike, a YZ250. Im 5'11 and 240lbs.

After reading all the brand forums, its seems that the yz is probably the best choice. I like the CR, and honda after being happy with my XR, but there seems to be a lot of critizism over the later models with the weak motor, but maybe this is a good thing for me, being new to two strokes?

Anyways, seeing that the first of the alluminium frame yz are now not much more than the '04s and earlier which of the alluminium frame models should i be looking at. Was the first year ('05) just as good as the latest model, ie, should i pass up on a good deal on an '05 over an '06?

Lastely, when its said that the yz motor has good bottom end, does that equal wheelspin, or torque?

Thanks guys..

Leeroy.

Leeroy,

I have an '06 YZ250 and it's an awesome machine. The front fork on the '06 is said to be noticably better than that of the '05. I think now that we are into 2007, you should shop around and try to get a good deal on a slightly used '06.

As far as power, the YZ's motor is a beast. If you're planning to do some woods riding I would strongly recommend getting a heavier flywheel as this will tame down the hit of the motor. It will allow you to lug the bike around in slower speeds without the fear of stalling and make the bike overall more woods friendly. Don't mistake this for meaning that the bike will be slower. It will just lessen the hit of the motor when you gas it, but she'll still rip. I did the GYTR heavier flywheel and it is a very easy mod to do. Good luck.

Cheers for you reply...

Was previously looking at 250exc (2t) but availability 2nd hand around here is like 1 ktm to every 20 YZ250.

And the more i read, its probably cheaper to put to tame the yz motor down a little than throw money on Ktms suspension.

The excs would probably be a bit easier on plugs would you think, when not ridden 'on the pipe' than the yz?

THe only other thing is, EXC's would have two rings on the piston right, to get a bit more wear out of the top end... MX's only run one? Is this correct, and will it be much of a problem for a mx bike only run on the the trails...

cheers...

Hopefully i can clear those few things up...

Cheers for you reply...

The excs would probably be a bit easier on plugs would you think, when not ridden 'on the pipe' than the yz?

THe only other thing is, EXC's would have two rings on the piston right, to get a bit more wear out of the top end... MX's only run one? Is this correct, and will it be much of a problem for a mx bike only run on the the trails...

cheers...

Hopefully i can clear those few things up...

You will have no problem on spark plugs as long as you jet it properly.

As for the piston rings there are 2 rings on the stock piston.