Sign in to follow this  

I bent the right foot peg mount

We we went out for a quick 50 mile loop on saturday morning and on the way back to the truck I was in 5th gear just crusing at a nice speed and then I saw it 4 big nasty down hill whoops a 5 foot wash out and more woops going up the other side.:applause: I grabbed rest of the throttle got the front tire light over the first set of woops across the wash out and BANG cased it hard in to the up hill side. Got a little out so shape but rode it out but man did that hurt. :lol:

When I got home I was looking over my bike and I noticed the right peg mount was way bent out of shape. No big deal go on Thumpertalk hit the search button and find out that Pro Curcit and IMS made heavy duty right hand peg mounts. Sent and E-mail to IMS and they have been out of stock for two years. Still waiting for a reply from Pro Circuit but the part is still listed on ther web site.

So after all that here is my question......Looking at the left peg I noticed that it on an up ward slope about 5 to 10 deg. Can someone do me a favor and take a look at there un abused XR400 and tell me if the left peg is level with the frame or it it goes up at a 5 to 10 deg angle?

I think I bent the left side also but I just want to make sure before I get out the sawzall and welder.:applause:

Thanks

BBB:ride:

You might consider that the peg mount is a cast part. Cast parts don't bend much, they break. It's more likely I think, and in my experience, that the paper thin frame tube has twisted where the mount is bolted too. If you look closely at the frame tube in that area, can you see any buckling from twisting?

• Like 1

Hey Trailryder it looks like the right hand peg mount took the brunt of the hit but the frame does have a very slight twist downward.

When I get the new peg mount I will bolt it up and see how bad it is.

I am still concerned about the left side. The peg is 90 deg to the frame but it is tilted upward. It is hard to see but look at post #36 in this thread http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=429418&page=4

That is what my left peg looks like. Is that bent or just a production flaw?

You're right, it's hard to tell anything in that picture.

When I tweaked mine once, I laid the bike on it's side with the peg I wanted to work on facing up. Heated the peg mount and frame tube well with a propane torch. Used a long piece of pipe for leverage, big enough to slip over the peg and gently pryed the peg/mount downward. I did this on the right side cast part, as it was interfering with my kickstarter. I didn't need to bend it much tho for kickstarter clearance.

This might work on the left side too, maybe even better since the left side mount is steel and not cast, you don't have to worry about snapping it. But you still wouldn't want to try bending things very much, I wouldn't think.

Map gas(yellow bottle) heats hotter than propane(blue bottle).

Thanks for the reply Trailryder,

I was looking at it again last night and it looks like I twisted the bottom tab on the left peg it self. I am going to order a set of IMS pro pegs and the Pro Circuit right peg mount and then see were I am at.

If I need to heat it up, bend it back then I will after I see what the new peg look like.

Thanks Again :applause: