Sign in to follow this  

Differnece between 98 & 99 KX 250

I have a 99 kx 250 and cracked my front rim. My buddy has a take off from a 98 kx 250. Does anyone know if the 98 setup(hub/wheel) will work on my 99. Thanks

Well, I checked Bike Bandit and they list two different part numbers for the two different hubs.

For 2000 and 1999 they list the same part numbers for the front wheel/hub assembly. So I'd say that the 98 will not fit the 99, unfortunately.

Karl

The rim should fit. You can just take the rim and lace it on to your hub.

The rim should fit. You can just take the rim and lace it on to your hub.

Moto is exactly right and that's an option for you. They both use a 1.60 x 21" rim.

Karl

I think the only difference between the KX wheels for nearly all models is the axles/spacers (kdx's are different entirely). I have a KDX 220 with 03 KX 500 forks. I also have a 2000 kx 250. I have three front wheels that I use on both bikes, one wheel is a 90 KX 125, one is a 99 kX 125 and one is the original 2000 KX250. All hubs/rims are identical, I have to change out the axles and spacers is all when switching wheels from bike to bike. (a 125 axle is the same as the kx500, the 250's are different - for most years up through the L models). It looks to me like the axle diameters are the same for the 1990 up 125's , 250's and 500's.

(wheel switching is a mud tire vs hardpack tire kind of thing for me....).

Look on a rim manufacturer's website or a major mail order company's website and see if a rim is shown to fit the same years. That will help you to decide.

Thank to all for your help!! Does any one have a laced up 99-02 wheel for sale?
No, but I can tell you that my spare wheel from a 93 KX250 works perfectly on my '01. So open up your search range a bit! Good luck.