Sign in to follow this  

tire sizes

the stock rear tire is 100/100-18

would it be better to get 110/100-18

or

100/90-19

ant what do the numbers mean

?/?-?

The last number is how big the rim is. If you have an 18" rim you can't get a 19" tire. As for 100 and 110. The 110 is just wider, I can't really tell a difference between them. The 110 just puts a little more rubber to the ground, maybe better hookup.

thanks for the reply really cleared thinks up would a 120/100-18 be to wide for a rear wheel on a 230 or should i just go with the 110

You'll fit a 120 in the swingarm, but you'll have clearance issues with the exhaust. Everytime you land a jump, your tire will rub. A 110, is basically the max. I reccomend the 110, I love it. The 2'nd number is how tall(maybe not the best word) the tire is. From what I understand, a 110/90 tire will be flatter than a 110/100. The 110/90 will put more traction to the ground.

first number is how many millimeters(mm) wide the tire is sidewall to sidewall

the second number is the height of the tire from the bead to the top of the tread this number is the percentage of the tire width

SO, a 110/100-18 is a tire 110 mm wide and also 110 mm tall and is for an 18 inch rim

the smaller the second number the wider the tire is in relation to its height

SO, a 110/90-18 ultilizes 90% of the height SO 99mm tall but less movement from lateral forces because of the "wider" tire

basically all that jib-jab means the 110-90 will hook better

• Like 1

If you do the math you will find that a 100/100 18 and a 110/90 18 are very close in diameter to each other the 110/100 18 will be a taller tire by about 20cm, 10 cm twice. This taller tire will make your bike feel like the gearing is taller also.

Wow, I had no idea there was that much of a diference in height. Is that actual height, or the circumference of the tire?

How can you explain this one though. My rear tire is a 130/80-18.

?? It's supposed to be near equal to a 110/100. I guess just a different measurment.

Wow, I had no idea there was that much of a diference in height. Is that actual height, or the circumference of the tire?

?? It's supposed to be near equal to a 110/100. I guess just a different measurment.

your tire does not hit your pipe or anything when you jump

if you go too big it will rub and you will run out of powe rot be able to turn it(if it hooks up good). i would recommend ewither a 100/100 or a 110. if its a good tire a 100 will hook up better than stock. i had some wierd 120s on my 250f and they didnt get much traction, i stayed with 120s but got some Dunlops and they are a little wider, but the tread is much better. really hooks up now.

also, the wider tire will make it not handle as good, something to keep in mind. i swiched to a narrower front tire(from a 90/90 to an 80/100) and my bike was noticable quicker in turning.

your tire does not hit your pipe or anything when you jump

It used to rub a bit because of the bend in the rear end of my frame. I bought it used and I think it went for a hell of a crash previously. I added spacers on the one side of the exhaust brackets so now it doesn't rub. Also, with my PC exhaust, it seemed to help a bit too. It didn't rub because of the bigger tire though. This isn't my first oversized tire on the bike.

u got 4.09 inches from bead to tread with the 130

the 110/100 like mine is 4.33 inches from bead to tread

so the 110/100 is actually taller

your 130/80 is a little shorter but more squat

make sense?

and someone correct me if my calculations are wrong =D