Sign in to follow this  

slop in my shifter

hey guys,

im riding a 01 cr250 and my shifter looks to be stock.. there is a massive amount of slop in the lever. so much infact it hangs down past the footpeg. making it very hard to shift standing up. I really dont have the money to buy a new one. (massive debt to father) for the bike.. so i was wondering if you got any ideas to keep the shifter from hanging so low.... ive tried what i can think of ive moved the lever up one notch on the spline but then the point were it clicks into the next gear is way to high...???

Slop as in the threads are getting a bit stripped and it wiggles (while the shift shaft doesnt)? I have been through 2 shift levers just because I landed hard and had my foot on the shifter rather than the peg, but yours might just be worn out. You can try a few things to tighten it up. First I would try taking it off and wrapping the shift shaft with teflon tape or something just to fill the holes (if you can get the tape to stay in there) then just tighted the heck out of the bolt.

If that doesnt work you can get some really fine wire and try to wrap it around the shift shaft, so that when the shifter is put on the wire is pushed in between the two and tightens it up a bit. I tried both and ended up getting a new shifter (but mine was really bad, no teeth on the front). MSR makes cheap ones for around $14-19 I think.

If it's sloppy around the shift shaft it's because the aluminum has stretched around the shaft. You can take out the bolt and take the lever off. Without the bolt in it, snug the lever in a vise so the slot is closed and facing up. Run a hacksaw through the slot taking out a blade's width of material. Reinstall the lever. I wouldn't try the teflon idea, but I've used aluminum foil for a loose fitting shock bearing. Aluminum foil is about .002 inch. In the old days you could use it to check piston clearance.