125 question

I have finally "seen the light" as I was told, lol, and I'm selling my quad to buy a 125.:applause: I have 2 questions:

1. I'm 5'9", weigh 125, and I was wondering if a 125 will be fast enough? Or should I find a 250. I need to keep up with a z400. I ride "fast" trails and do a lot of track riding but not racing. Yet. Oh, and I want a 2 smoke.

2. Which brand should I get in the 1998 to 2003 range? I mean who makes the best 125's in those years?

Get any 125 that isn't beat on. I'd say a YZ as a first choice, but I'd rather have a bike that was well maintained than just going for what everyone's telling you.

What's fast trails to you? If it's wide open spaces than maybe a 250 isn't a bad idea, but at 125lbs that thing will make you it's girlfriend in a hurry if you don't have the skills. If you ride tight, fast, treelined trails than have fun with the 125 till you're tired of it. They still have plenty of zip to keep you happy.

he is coming off a 170 knock off i believe probably a little to much for him

Yeah that's what I own:banghead: but don't think that that is the riding level I'm at. That's the bike I started on, but I can rip around on a 400 with ease. Don't let that quad make you think I'm not serious about riding, please:banghead:

Yeah that's what I own:banghead: but don't think that that is the riding level I'm at. That's the bike I started on, but I can rip around on a 400 with ease. Don't let that quad make you think I'm not serious about riding, please:banghead:

im not saying you cant ride but coming onto a bike and a 2 stroke for the first time, a 125 might be to much for you at times, let alone a 250.

so you think a 125 will be fast enough? Like I said I need something as fast or faster than a 400 quad.

trust me, its plenty fast, you would rather have somthing fast enough that you can learn skills on than something that is to fast and you will be scared of

I just got my first dirt bike also. A VERY old CR125. I have ridden it an bit and I feel it will have plenty of power to keep me more then excited while I learn to ride in the dirt and for some time after that as well.

Background on me:

5'8" 205lbs

ridden on the street for 12 years

roadraced (not to be confused with street raced) everything from 500's to 1000cc superbikes (sportbikes) for the past 3 years

I think for a smaller guy new to riding a 125 will be fine.

in all reality, a 85cc 2 stroke puts out more HP than a 400 quad....they are both in the high 20's, a 125 will handily destroy a 400 quad through everything but mud and maybe the dunes, by the sounds of it you really dont need a 250, it would make you its bitch

wow! i wish i had a high 20 horsepower 80! in all reality, a decked out supermini, would barly push that, a stock 80 is making between 20 and 22 horespower, i dont doubt that a z400 is making high 20s. a 125 as we all know makes about 32-34 horsepower which, being more than a hundred pounds lighter than a z400, would still dominate it in most terrain.