Sign in to follow this  

Thinking about selling my '05 CRF250r

I mainly woods ride and like the traction and handling of the CRF, but it seams underpowered for me. I bought it new and the motor is holding up great, but I came from '03 RM 250 and the CRF just seams boring to me.

Before you tell me to buy a 450, I have rode them and in the woods they are a p.i.a.

Do I go back to a two stroke or what?

if you have alot of hours on your bike, it may be time for a rebuild and that will allways crispen things up a bit... And if you want to go all out you can get a high compression piston and get the cylinder head ported and get a cam and exhaust system, and maybe some different ignition mapping...

Sounds like you've already answered your own question. Your next question might be "Blue, Yellow or Orange?" I haven't ridden a new Yellow or Orange one, but I really like the new Blue one :applause:.

Sounds like you've already answered your own question. Your next question might be "Blue, Yellow or Orange?" I haven't ridden a new Yellow or Orange one, but I really like the new Blue one :applause:.

The KTM interests me, but I like my yami dealer and my wife already owns yfz450. The real question is how much will I lose on the CRF and how much will it cost me for the yami to handle like the ktm in the woods? Ever ride ktm 300's - you know I far from being a kid anymore yet I really miss the non-linear power band of a two stroke. Smoothness of motor is great, but sometimes I would like to have the s**t scared out of me by having the power band come on hard when I not expecting it -(in loose stuff or what ever).

I rode an 06 KTM 300XC and wasn't impressed. Turned like a truck compared to my CRF and vibrated like a paintshaker. Not for me.

The power was okay, but nothing crazy.

^Listen to TJ...and on another note: there is just so much you can do to fine tune the CRF and when you add that to the durability it's a win win.

Example: After really taking time to learn about the suspension I now realize that there are so many ways to tweak it. That would be a big deal to me for offroad. The bike can be modded and the aftermarket parts are cheaper too. How about a 270 kit? I know Fred tried it but went back- what happened with that Fred?

I use mine for MX but I think that when I retire it the suspension will be softened and it will be my woods machine for a long while. Don't give up on the CRF:ride:

I'll just slot this opinion in here. While I like the CRF's, they're just missing something for me; even the R's. I was blissfully unaware of a missing component until I rode an '05 YZ250. All of a sudden, the previously "snappy" CRF engine seemed to lose some luster. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the YZ handling, but the engine was an absolute revelation to my 4-stroke oriented brain. I never knew a 2-stroke could have all that snap along with a bottom-mid-top power band. I've tried CRF and YZ/F 450's, and while they're powerful, riding one is kind of like being good friends with a power lifter that likes to roughhouse; they're just too much for me. A well-tuned 2-stroke just fits really well in the 4-stroke 250 - 450 gap.... at least for me...... at least for now :applause:.

Exactly what I am getting at from Spin8r and at the same time totally understanding what mikerides33 is saying. I guess I should interject this into the conversation. I typically work 55-60hrs a week, then coach kids basketball (winter) or softball(summer). When I get on a bike, its intention is to release the day to day tensions that have been brought about. I think with a 450 I would more than likely hurt myself badly (I know only because I've been there and 30+ broken bones later don't wish to return). So, if I can make my CRF a realiable "wow" bike then excellent - I am all ears, if not then maybe I need a yz250 and settle for limited bruising - from only the kids of course!

I know Fred tried it but went back- what happened with that Fred?

Its in my 04 X. At least now I have a chance to put a wheel on him. I am 40 lbs heavier than TJ, and was down on power w/ the R camed, high comp 250X set up. The 270 kit deffeniately helps, but top end needs some love!! May try 07R cam for more topend.

Upstate: I know where your coming from. When it comes to technical riding a 250 is great all day. If your riding open terrain, your yearning for more power.

How much do you weigh and what is your skill level, and type woods trails do you ride rocky, mostly rocky?

I rode an 05 yz250, wow!! Need to detune those things for the woods, and spend some extra time working out. However, I heard the rekuse auto clutch makes them electric, and you'll still have the extra ponies.

Its in my 04 X. At least now I have a chance to put a wheel on him. I am 40 lbs heavier than TJ, and was down on power w/ the R camed, high comp 250X set up. The 270 kit deffeniately helps, but top end needs some love!! May try 07R cam for more topend.

:applause: Yes...I have heard that TJ is quite the woodsman:thumbsup:

How about a 270 kit? I know Fred tried it but went back- what happened with that Fred?

It didn't work out for me. After I put it in I loved it, then I had an oil consumption issue and TR took care of it.

When I had it apart I changed everything back to the stock bore. Once I rode it again with the stock bore I didn't care for the big bore anymore.

It revs faster and pull harder in the upper rpm's with the stock bore. The big bore is good, but doesn't suit my riding style.

Upstate: I know where your coming from. When it comes to technical riding a 250 is great all day. If your riding open terrain, your yearning for more power.

How much do you weigh and what is your skill level, and type woods trails do you ride rocky, mostly rocky?

I rode an 05 yz250, wow!! Need to detune those things for the woods, and spend some extra time working out. However, I heard the rekuse auto clutch makes them electric, and you'll still have the extra ponies.

Smoker, I vary between 170-180lbs and far as skill level, thats a tough one. I have not competed in anything since the 80's and that was on quads. I will approach the question like this, my typical ride in the woods (upstate NY) with alot of swamp/mud, hills (not mountains), and sand. A normal ride is 80-100 miles (with tank refill) in a day and other than being dehydrated after the ride I feel great (other than rear being sore from my pants moving around alot). Condition wise the only problem I have is in the spring my knees swell from inflamation (one has already had surgery).

I don't think I would go to a 270 or 280 due the fact I believe this would defeat the whole design of the motor in first place.

they need to make a crf 350.... wouldnt be that hard just use the 250r frame and put in a 350.

Smoker, I vary between 170-180lbs and far as skill level, thats a tough one. I have not competed in anything since the 80's and that was on quads. I will approach the question like this, my typical ride in the woods (upstate NY) with alot of swamp/mud, hills (not mountains), and sand. A normal ride is 80-100 miles (with tank refill) in a day and other than being dehydrated after the ride I feel great (other than rear being sore from my pants moving around alot). Condition wise the only problem I have is in the spring my knees swell from inflamation (one has already had surgery).

I don't think I would go to a 270 or 280 due the fact I believe this would defeat the whole design of the motor in first place.

If I was riding in those conditions. I would probably have a 250 or 200 2stroke(Less expensive to maintain in my experiance) or 450 4st. Swamp, Mud, Sand, sounds like riding in southern NJ. In NJ I prefered a 250 2 stroke if I was racing and exercising, and a 200 if I wasnt able to maintain a workout routine during the week. The 200 is light, forgiving, and can be modded for some extra umph. It will require a little more of an aggressive riding style than the CRF250. I have the 250X because its forgiving, and if I miss a day or two working out it will not kill me. However, if I am exercising 3X a week I want more out of the little X!!

I personally think the big bore option works great if you ride in really technical trails and are 190+lbs. Yes, it takes from top end, but will actually pull all gears when your 190lbs.

Theredrider: CRF350 would be nice.:applause:

Ok smoker, what do you think about 07' wr450? The yami dealer will sell me a wr for a grand less then the 450x. If I did this I would share some parts with my wife's 06' yfz450. Or at the very least use her parts when I break mine!! No really the it would be nice to have lights to ride in the fall, but will the extra weight be annoying? The other option is to look for a 01'-03' 250 2stroke (cheap) and beat on that in lieu of the honda, but good old NY state requires insurance and registration on all bike, atvs, snowmobiles, and everything esle under the sun. I have a photo album book to carry in my truck with all of the registrations and insurance cards for everything we own.

WR450? Never ridden one, but the extra weight might impact the fun factor for 100 mile ride.However, how intense are you about the lights idea? I am sure you could add a lighting coil to most bikes:excuseme:

You need to take a ride on a newer YZ250 2 stroke maybe an 05 or 06. Then you'll have more feedback for your decision.

I would lean towards a 250 smoke, only if the trails are'nt really technical. Otherwise I would stick with the 250F. I personally need to ride a friends 05 cr250 in the technical stuff to see if I would even think about going back.