Sign in to follow this  

Trick to installing starting gears????

Hey I had to replace my stator cover today. Everything was going great until I had to put back my "starter gears" in to place. They just don't want to sit properly. I know that they are fragile so I really don't want to use too much force. Is there a trick to puting it back in to place????

Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.

I had the same challenge getting the starter drive gears to properly mesh and get the shaft to slide into the bushing at the same time. There is probably a correct way to do it, but I found that by turning the starter motor gear itself a little, and doing the same with the starter driven gear (pg. 3-14 in the service manual) I could manipulate the starter drive gear assembly so it would eventually drop into place in the correct position. It took quite a few tries (frustrating) but eventually dropped right into place. Keep trying, don't force anything, and you will get it.

Good luck, Ben

Sometimes you need to turn something just a little bit. Turn the engine with a socket thru the access hole if the access plug is not frozen in place. Or put the transmission in 5th gear and turn the rear wheel a little.

Thanks, I just wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong or not. I'll try turning the engine over a bit to see if it helps.

Thanks

it helped me to see a blow-up of the way everything goes together. check out ron ayers microfiches.

patience and sometimes a fine smear of grease to hold things in place (4 shims to place and a couple of bushings).

btw-the inside top bushing/shaft will act like a piston/cylinder and create a powerful resistance to seating due to the trapped air. You could figure out a way to bleed the air out, or just patiently wiggle it until it seats.