Sign in to follow this  

Dirtbiking near Pleasanton,CA?

Contemplating a move to Pleasanton from Colorado and was wondering what type of riding is out there? I like riding singletrack and desert stuff, don't ride the tracks too much. Just wondering what sort of stuff is out there. How far away, etc. Thanks.

There is a lot of good single track around Clear Lake to the north. They run a lot of enduro's in that area. Jawbone Canyon and the other desert areas are a 6-8 hour drive depending on which place you go to. There is some good riding east of Sacramento in the hills as well.

there is a state ohv park about 30 miles east of pleasanton called carnagie-but it gets crowded on weekends and really isnt that big.its more of a social scene for 20somethings with mx bikes.if you are a hard core mx type there is a private track by livermore that has memberships-kind of like a gym membership.the sierra mountains are 2 to 3 hours east there are a few places.but since california is pretty much a democrat/tree hugger state the riding spots are usually small -no more than 40 miles of trails in a limited area.if you like to dirt ride you will be hauling your bike.i only ride my dirt bike 2 or 3 times a year.i am headed to baja-had enough of riding the park in 3 hours.if you get a job in pleasanton you had better get a HUGE raise.a small apartment there is $1200+ a month.gas just hit $3 a gallon.alot of middle class people are moving out of california.

Contemplating a move to Pleasanton from Colorado and was wondering what type of riding is out there? I like riding singletrack and desert stuff, don't ride the tracks too much. Just wondering what sort of stuff is out there. How far away, etc. Thanks.
Pleasanton is about 30 to 40 minutes from Carnegie which is southeast of Livermore. Something for everyone there - singletrack, knarly hills, tracks, easy stuff for the kids. Gets a bit crowded during the weekends however. Hollister is an hour plus to the south, and Stoneyford is 3 plus hours north which is Mecca.

Pleasanton is about 30 to 40 minutes from Carnegie which is southeast of Livermore. Something for everyone there - singletrack, knarly hills, tracks, easy stuff for the kids. Gets a bit crowded during the weekends however. Hollister is an hour plus to the south, and Stoneyford is 3 plus hours north which is Mecca.

+1.

Carnegie Is a great place ride for a few hours if you are close. It is very very handy to tune up a bike, jetting, suspension tweaks so you know things a right when you make that drive to Stony.

Has some entertaining hills to climb...

And 3 hours south you have clear creek.. Pleasanton sits between 2 freeways ,easy on and you go ?Good luck:ride:

Thanks for the replies! I heard it was expensive to live there. Of course, I got online last night and tried to find riding in the area, before I really started looking at the cost of living. Gotta have my priorities straight! Do you all live in that area? Is Livermore a bit reasonable of a place to find housing? $3 for gas definitely hurts. I'll be checking more into it tonight, but figured nothing better that to ask the people in the know. Thanks!

Thanks for the replies! I heard it was expensive to live there. Of course, I got online last night and tried to find riding in the area, before I really started looking at the cost of living. Gotta have my priorities straight! Do you all live in that area? Is Livermore a bit reasonable of a place to find housing? $3 for gas definitely hurts. I'll be checking more into it tonight, but figured nothing better that to ask the people in the know. Thanks!

The farther east you go the cheaper it gets. I work in Tracy and many people commute to the bay area. You can rent a house for about 11-1200 a month with garage. PM me if you have any questions.

A lot of us are in the bay area. The cost of housing is more than other places - that is the main difference. Pay a little bit more and you get a whole lot more though - like many things in life.

There are places around here you really don't want to live but that is the exception. By far the easiest way to get a feel of the area is to hop on a plane and come on out. Got extra bikes if you want to ride Carnegie, extra cars you can drive for that matter.

Here is a video at Carnegie I posted a little while ago:

Let me know when you move down here i will show you a few cool places to ride. There are a lot of good riders on here to meet up with too.

Hi there !

It's very expensive to live in or near the bay area and pretty crowed too. Pleasenton is kind of a bedroom community for points north, south and west.Traffic is really bad but not as bad as L.A. There are some excellent riding areas with in a days drive though. Depending on what you do, you can make excellent money there, but the hassle and expense of living there offsets it. To the east (in the valley) can get really hot. There's a ton of other stuff to do and see but everything is really spread out and you have to drive alot. Overall, not a bad place to live.

Good Luck !

STS.

I'm actually looking to move to Denver (Airora) from Dublin (next town north of Pleasanton). COmpany is downsizing and figured the cost of living in Colorado is much cheaper and less stressful than Bay Area. Paying $3k a month on a mortgage just to eliminate my previous 1hr + commute at 5am from Antioch to Pleasanton.

I love it here, but man its hard to start a family unless both parents are making close to $100k each. If you have any questions on cities let me know, I've lived in a few around this area.

I'm actually looking to move to Denver (Airora) from Dublin (next town north of Pleasanton). COmpany is downsizing and figured the cost of living in Colorado is much cheaper and less stressful than Bay Area. Paying $3k a month on a mortgage just to eliminate my previous 1hr + commute at 5am from Antioch to Pleasanton.

I love it here, but man its hard to start a family unless both parents are making close to $100k each. If you have any questions on cities let me know, I've lived in a few around this area.

You'll have to pm me when you get out here. I can show you some great places out here to ride. You are going to love Colorado, and if I leave I am going to miss it. This place has so much to offer. Traffic can be bad here too, and all the really good stuff is a drive to get to also, but...

I really appreciate all of the info you guys gave me. Sounds like, and looks like, great riding in the Sierras is only a few-3??- hour drive. That's not bad. Definitely doable on a weekend.

That Carnegie place looks like it would be fun to rip around on.

While I have you all's attention. My lady love hiking and mountain biking, is it the same deal to get to those trails too?

Do you have a job lined up in Pleasanton?

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

The good news is Pleasanton is a quick drive to Carnegie, ClubMoto.com, and San Hill Ranch MX track.

This is a website for Bay Area riders. Lots of links to riding areas too.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sfdirtbikes/

My lady love hiking and mountain biking, is it the same deal to get to those trails too?

Don't know about mtb - but hiking trails are everywhere, 10 minute drive?

I was born in Pleasanton and lived there untill I was out of high school. Then I packed up and moved to the sierras. Pleasanton is a great place but is too crowded now and very expensive. My parents still live there and I visit. When I lived there it was more of a small town. I had a great time living there.There is mountain biking from town no car or there are lots of places to drive to and ride.

Hollister Hills for sure. Probably less than a two hour drive, and its really worth it. Great park, nice people, not always that crowded, but its nice to get there early.

I should start taking pictures next time I go out, its really a great place to ride.

-Ryan

Do you have a job lined up in Pleasanton?

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

The good news is Pleasanton is a quick drive to Carnegie, ClubMoto.com, and San Hill Ranch MX track.

This is a website for Bay Area riders. Lots of links to riding areas too.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/sfdirtbikes/

Well, the lady is the one with the job opportunity there. She has the possibility of working for Polycom out there. I sell Real Estate, so I can pretty much do that anywhere, as long as I get licensed for that state. Although, not sure if I would want to go through the rigamarole of getting started all over again.

Sounds like there is lots to do there, which is a major concern. Right now we live in Boulder, CO and the access to getting out and being active is pretty hard to beat. I can be on a tight rocky single track in about 10 minutes from the door...if it would stop snowing. But for me to get to Summit County or Vail or something is also a drive. So it sounds somewhat the same in that regard. She will be glad to hear that there is hiking and biking closeby.

What about the commute, say from Livermore(?) to Pleasanton? I hear the traffic is bad, but to be honest, it's bad here too. It looks like it's about 10-15 miles away. Wondering how long it would take to drive in the morning?

You guys have been extremely helpful. Thanks.

Commute from Livermore to Pleasanton isn't too bad because their are backroads if you don't want to deal with the freeway. Yes its only 10 miles, but on a Friday afternoon it could take you a half hour. However assuming no accidents on a weekday commute maybe 20 minutes (if you leave before peak commuting times).

If you can afford Livermore do it, once you go further out like Tracy/Antioch/Brentwood your looking at least doubling your commute time.