Sign in to follow this  

shim disaster

I was instaling my sanded down valve shims today and I tried to readjust the motor to TDC using the kick starter without the retaining clip in place. One of the shims popped out and I can't find it. I looked everywhere. I removed the alternator cover on the Left side but it wasn't in there. Where else could it have fallen? I'm woried that when I fire it up I'll find out!!! Any thoughts on where else to look. Also, anyone know the torque specs on the alternator cover or if it even matters?

Several of us have been there done that. My guess it is still up in the head lodged probably right in front of the right exhaust valve. look close I'm willing to bet it is up there. If not take out the drain plug and filter screens and start searching in the bottom of the motor with a magnetic wand. DO NOT TURN THE MOTOR OVER UNTIL YOU FIND IT. I'm sure with a little looking around it is sitting somewhere you can get to it. Always fill the cam cavity and oil drain holes in the head with shop towels before working on the shims.

You'll find it :applause:

You're the man! I had given up looking in the head untill reading your post. You almost nailed it. It was hiding behind the left exhaust valve. What a relief.

:applause: they always seem to end up behind one of the springs in the front of the head.