Sign in to follow this  

help me diagnose my TTR125 problem...please

I recently bought a used '02 TTR 125L (my first bike! hooray! :applause: ). It was serviced before I bought it - oil changed, compression checked etc.

I've ridden it twice. First time was fine, this weekend I was out again and it started stalling. It was running a bit weak, felt like it was slowing down a bit. Was a little hard to start when it stalled, but I always got it going without too much effort. Kept stalling, became more difficult to start, then I had a closer look and noticed clean oil in and dripping off the skid plate. I didn't start it again after that (though it does still kick over) and it stopped leaking oil once it stayed off for a while. Seemed like maybe it was over heating..? I'd like to fix it myself, have the manual and tools...if I can figure out what I need to fix :applause:

Anyone have any suggestions or pointers, I'd love to hear 'em...

Thanks in advance!!

Sara

Congrats on your first bike!

Did you buy it from a dealer or private seller? If from a dealer, you might want to take it back, especially if you want to rely on the dealer in the future for any service or repair.

The most obvious and simple thing to check is the oil drain plug on the left side of the bike. Also the oil fill on the right side. If one or the other is loose (or missing) that would explain the oil you found.

I'd drain the oil completely and fill it up with new oil. Clean the engine completely, especially the crankcase, and run the engine with the skid plate off. See if you can see where the oil is leaking from.

Hopefully someone else will come along with other (and better) ideas.

Let us know what you find.

Check the tank and make sure there is'nt debris in your fuel. The filter inside the tank atop the petcock gets clogged easy if the bike has been sitting awhile. good luck

I recently bought a used '02 TTR 125L
did u even break the bike in?
Presumably the original owner did.

Fisrt check the oil level. If its ok. then the oil dipping is probably not a factor in the problem, but do find out where its leaking from. IF there is no oil in the motor then it may have begun to sieze. Now on to the more likely problem, did you put gas in it after the first time that you rode it? It sounds to me like like you either have bad gas in it or that the carb has dirt in it. Start off by draining all the gas out of the tank and the carb ( open the drain screw on the bottom of the carb) Replace it with new fuel and if you can find Sea Foam at an auto parts store ad a few onces of that to the fuel and run through the system. If this doesn't work the carb will have to be taken apart and cleaned as a starting point. Also possibly call the previous owner and ask them if has ever happened and what did they do to fix it.

I'd have to assume the dealer would have checked your air filter, but you may want to check that out too. Maybe they gunked it up too much or left some debri that got sucked into your carb. The oil problem is altogether different.

I'm biquette's partner in crime.

Checked the oil and it was still full. But there wasn't any dipstick in the cap and the cap was loose - We suspect the oil was leaking from the loose cap. Would a loss in oil pressure cause stalling? I the bike seemed to be running really hot. Does lack of air flow over the motor cause overheating?

We also replaced the air filter (it needed a new one anyway). There didn't seem to be any dirt in the boot.

We'll have to check the gas filter. The gas itself should have been ok.

o wait, i think i realized what it is. this exact thing happend to my cousin. either you blew the top end or a gasket. his bike did all of those things as well.

since you aready elliminated somethings......dump the gas but ....before you do....undo the hose from the carb too see if the fuel runs freely to r/o trash in the petcock.....sounds like the pilot might be clogged.....doesnt take much for either jet to get clogged..........that would make in hard to start.....it would also create a lean condition making it run bad and also hot the hotter it gets the leaner it gets........pull the carb ....take the bowl off.....back out the jets and blow them out start with new gas and clean jets ......also fuel filter if you have one........that would eliminate all of the most likely fuel problems and could be done your self in 15 min........use the manuel if youve never taken a carb down......not rocket science........good luck,.....its a great bike to start on

the exact same thing happened to me, the private seller I bought my TTR 225 from destroyed the motor and sold it to me for $900 bucks, i've been in your shoes....

I'm biquette's partner in crime.

Checked the oil and it was still full. But there wasn't any dipstick in the cap and the cap was loose - We suspect the oil was leaking from the loose cap. Would a loss in oil pressure cause stalling? I the bike seemed to be running really hot. Does lack of air flow over the motor cause overheating?

We also replaced the air filter (it needed a new one anyway). There didn't seem to be any dirt in the boot.

We'll have to check the gas filter. The gas itself should have been ok.

too much air will cause overheating. try turning out the fuel/air screw and see how many turns it was out. then maybe turn it half more and keep doing it until you see results. if no results, try taking it in. the easiest way.

Update:

Thanks for all the tips - some of you nailed it.

We pulled off the carb and it was completely spotless inside. So, no carb problem. We also pulled off the tank and removed the petcock to check out the fuel filter. Turns out whoever had the filters out last put the main filter in upside down. So rather than filter the fuel, it was plugging the fuel passage into the petcock. Got it all back together properly. Fired up first couple of kicks (which it hadn't ever done) with almost no need for the choke. Ran much better as well, not surprisingly. Turned up the idle slightly and off to the races. It ran great on Sunday.

So thanks for all your help. Problem solved.

Update:

Thanks for all the tips - some of you nailed it.

We pulled off the carb and it was completely spotless inside. So, no carb problem. We also pulled off the tank and removed the petcock to check out the fuel filter. Turns out whoever had the filters out last put the main filter in upside down. So rather than filter the fuel, it was plugging the fuel passage into the petcock. Got it all back together properly. Fired up first couple of kicks (which it hadn't ever done) with almost no need for the choke. Ran much better as well, not surprisingly. Turned up the idle slightly and off to the races. It ran great on Sunday.

So thanks for all your help. Problem solved.

Thats great news. good job. With that name, and that pic......you are going places!:applause:

Just wanted to say thanks in person (so to speak...) - so thanks! for pointing us in the right direction... :applause:

And Sunday was a blast...don't *quite* have the hang of the braking yet, but hopefully soon :lol:

You will find the ttr's all have very small idler circuits. Therefore they clog easy.

#1 buy a fuel filter (install inbetween petcock and carb).

#2 carry a small very, Very fine peice of wire to clear out jet (not main jet but the longer skinny one for the low RPM. Once you can blow through it ok put it back in..

If your bike won't idle after warming up or hard to start it is this circuit. I use to have this problem with my TTR 125 and TTR 90 fuel filter changed all that.