Sign in to follow this  

rebuild question...another one...

I have read about a thousand threads for the last few weeks, and im thinking about rebuilding my 05 crf250r. It has alot of hours on it im sure, the guy that had it before me rode it almost every weekend, and i ride every weekend so i know its about time.

My question is, i am in auto in tidewater community college, and i took some auto in jobcorps, and i have been riding dirtbikes for about 9 years. I rebuilt my kx 100 top end about 4 or 5 times, how much more difficult is it to rebuild a 4 stroke top end? If i buy the clymers manual? Is it much harder? Should i just bring it to the shop? I get scared when it comes to the timing. Some people say it is SOOO hard :applause: some say it is not bad. I have no clue.

Also i dont want all oem parts, what parts should i start buying? Like what kind of piston? wiseco is what i ran in my kx, but what are the differences between Athena, je and wiseco? And is it better to have high compression, or lower? Should i order aftermarket valves? titanium?

I am sorry i have asked so many questions, but after weeks of reading, i still dont know what to do...

Thanks guys

Kris :applause:

Ok, It is relatively straight forward to rebuild your motor, just pick up yourself a Honda Service manual, and it is time for a rebuild.

For parts:

Wiseco High compression piston kit 13.5:1 w/ gaskets

If you valves are not ok, I would get your seats ground, and new guides put in, then get some new valves, seals, springs, retainers and keepers. OEM is the best bang for the buck, and I have had great luck with it, but if you want more longetivity for valves I would get RHC's Coated ferra steel valves and his springs, or some of faction mx's stainless steel valves with their high rev spring set.

Then I would think about a cam chain and a manual cam chain tensioner

You could also take a look at your clutch, for fibers and frictions OEM is the way to go, but for springs a good afermarket brand is better, and if you need a new hub I like wiseco's b/c they are forged.

Then I would service the suspension, take it apart, change fork oil, regrease shock linkage

Look at your tires, brakes, chain sprockets, if you need that, replace that, for chain and sprockets I would get the Ironman sprocket set w/ a regina O-ring chain. Brakes, I like Galfers sintered metal pads (heard good things about them)

Thats all I can think of for now

Ok, It is relatively straight forward to rebuild your motor, just pick up yourself a Honda Service manual, and it is time for a rebuild.

For parts:

If you valves are not ok, I would get your seats ground, and new guides put in, then get some new valves, seals, springs, retainers and keepers. OEM is the best bang for the buck, and I have had great luck with it, but if you want more longetivity for valves I would get RHC's Coated ferra steel valves and his springs, or some of faction mx's stainless steel valves with their high rev spring set.

You could also take a look at your clutch, for fibers and frictions OEM is the way to go, but for springs a good afermarket brand is better, and if you need a new hub I like wiseco's b/c they are forged.

Then I would service the suspension, take it apart, change fork oil, regrease shock linkage

Look at your tires, brakes, chain sprockets, if you need that, replace that, for chain and sprockets I would get the Ironman sprocket set w/ a regina O-ring chain. Brakes, I like Galfers sintered metal pads (heard good things about them)

Sure would be nice to have the money to do all that...

moto216 - yes it would be nice to have the money to do all of that I listed, that is the optimal stuff to be done, but in reality you would be fine w/ just the piston kit and if you needed valves put in OEM.

For parts:

Thanks man. I have the complete hinson clutch already. It seems to be in good condition. I am just a bit concerned with the timing... How much would it run for the piston kit with the valves and whatever else ill need? about 400-500?

Don't be concerned about the timing, just remember when working on motors clean-ness is the most important thing, and make sure you double and tripple check all of your work and then you will be ok :applause:

And for prices I don't really know, you will have to check around, but the price you listed above sounds about right.

check out mdkspeed.com They build great motors and can answer any of your questions if you contact them...

Don't be concerned about the timing, just remember when working on motors clean-ness is the most important thing, and make sure you double and tripple check all of your work and then you will be ok :applause:

And for prices I don't really know, you will have to check around, but the price you listed above sounds about right.

Alright thanks man. I really appreciate it. I think i am going to start ordering parts, im not extremely wealthy, so i will probably order 1 or 2 every few weeks. What sites usually have fair or cheaper prices with good service? I used to use bike bandit, they werent too bad. What about denniskirk. ??? list a few please. Thanks for all the help..

Kris :applause: shocked:

Alright thanks man. I really appreciate it. I think i am going to start ordering parts, im not extremely wealthy, so i will probably order 1 or 2 every few weeks. What sites usually have fair or cheaper prices with good service? I used to use bike bandit, they werent too bad. What about denniskirk. ??? list a few please. Thanks for all the help..

Kris :applause: shocked:

To help ease your stress about the timing.. Before you remove your cam and you are sure it is at TDC use a sharpie marker and mark the chain against the cam.. this way when you put it all back together you know it is in the same spot! This helped me a bit! I have not changed my piston yet, so I am not sure if this trick will work or not depending if you have to remove your cam chain??

I have to use different resources for ordering parts because I am in Canada but it should be easy for you yanks to find good deals! :applause:

A couple of tips from when I did my bike, Stuff rags in all of the openings so you cant drop stuff into the crankcase by accident, have a decent torque wrench so you can torque everything to spec, just check over your work until you are totally sure that you did it properly etc.

To get your valveseats cut,(make sure you put in new guides also) any corner machine shop should be able to do that for you, but what I would use for me (up in canada) is mongoose machine and engineering, they do everything by computer, and do deal with US customers... http://www.mongoosemachine.com/ Some other places : http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475554

For other parts

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/index.php

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/ - not much engine stuff, but better for everything else

www.servicehonda.com or the thumpertalk OEM store for OEM stuff, oem.thumpertalk.com

some other sites:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/

http://www.chaparral-racing.com

And yes all this will bolt right up, you can get the 05 kit but the, 06-07 head flows better.

Well it all depends on how much you want to spend. I would leave the valves alone until they go out of spec. If you dont want to spend much, get a piston, cam chain, and manual cam chain tensioner. If you have a little more cash, then get a new crank assembly and bearings. Its really not that hard. Im 16 and can do the bottom end, following the service manual. Just the top end is very easy. I can probably replace the piston in about 2 hours max. Bottom end is very time consuming though.

If you've never split the cases on a motor, invite a friend over that has, just to over see the work, do it yourself but it's nice to have someone to ask questions if you need a little tech tip here and there...

I rebuilt a kx 100 bottom end. Does that count?

If you've never split the cases on a motor, invite a friend over that has, just to over see the work, do it yourself but it's nice to have someone to ask questions if you need a little tech tip here and there...

you should be good... dont even attempt it without a SERVICE manual... not talking about a owners manual

I just ordered the Clymers manual of off bike bandit for 29.99. I will read up on it, then maybe in a few weeks, right before summer, i will rebuild.

About how long did it take you all the first time, to rebuild a top end? :applause:

The clymers manual wont be as detailed as the Honda Service manual (I think) but it will be still great info and guide you through the job.

For me the first time I dont really know how much time it took me, it was spreaded out over a few months, ordering/waiting for parts etc. I did it through the winter, but did put alot of hours getting my bike back to new again, servicing suspension, rebuilding motor, etc.

I think now I could easily do a rebuild in part of an afternoon, everything is alot quicker after the first time, then you know exacally what you are doing, just like the first time you adjust your valves or change your oil or clean your airfilter etc.

Still am waiting for the winter to pass and the snow to melt so I can finally get out and :applause:, can't wait much longer :applause:

This is a smoking deal! I stumbled across this the other day when I was waiting for my head from Ron.This is the way to go if you have an 04.They have other kits with just the head and valves caskets etc.Your cylinder is still probably fine.You can get one with out the piston and save more money for a high compression piston.The h/c pistons are expensive.I think I just paid 150.00 for my CP-13.5.

This is a smoking deal! I stumbled across this the other day when I was waiting for my head from Ron.This is the way to go if you have an 04.They have other kits with just the head and valves caskets etc.Your cylinder is still probably fine.You can get one with out the piston and save more money for a high compression piston.The h/c pistons are expensive.I think I just paid 150.00 for my CP-13.5.

I have an 05, would it be better to go with the 07 head and all, or get a nice high comp piston and hot cams cam?