Sign in to follow this  

jetting for my 07 250xcf??

i have an 07 ktm 250xcf and ride trails and hare scrambles. when i bought it from the dealer, they rejetted it for me because they said they are jetted like crap because of california emissions. i feel it misses and bogs a little bit when i ride it but not to bad. i don't want to sound like i'm whining, but why have one of the best 250f off road bikes when it doesn't run its best. i have heard of people going to the JD jetting kits but the shop rejetted it for me so i'm stumped, do i still need to buy a JD jetting kit? all help is greatly appreciated and thank you.:applause:

When I got my xcf-w, it would barely run without the choke on it was so lean. I made some minor changes still keeping the stock needle and got it running pretty well. The biggest thing was getting time on the bike. These 250f's need time to break in and until they do, they won't run up to their potential. Mine got better and better once I got over 10 hours on it.

Now I have a JD red needle in it left over from my Honda crf with a 185 main and it's better yet. I don't know what the dealer did to yours but I'd ask. I personally like to know exactly what my jetting is set at, which needle, clip position, main jet size, pilot jet, leak jet, how far out is the fuel screw etc. That way I can know what works in what conditions and adjust accordingly.

I hear the xcf needle is better the the W needle so maybe it just needs time to break in or maybe some minor adjustments. But still, I'd be inclined to go ahead and get the JD kit if your not savvy with jetting. It will give you a good baseline and instructions for elevation and temperature changes. Jetting is not a one time thing.

When I got my xcf-w, it would barely run without the choke on it was so lean. I made some minor changes still keeping the stock needle and got it running pretty well. The biggest thing was getting time on the bike. These 250f's need time to break in and until they do, they won't run up to their potential. Mine got better and better once I got over 10 hours on it.

Now I have a JD red needle in it left over from my Honda crf with a 185 main and it's better yet. I don't know what the dealer did to yours but I'd ask. I personally like to know exactly what my jetting is set at, which needle, clip position, main jet size, pilot jet, leak jet, how far out is the fuel screw etc. That way I can know what works in what conditions and adjust accordingly.

I hear the xcf needle is better the the W needle so maybe it just needs time to break in or maybe some minor adjustments. But still, I'd be inclined to go ahead and get the JD kit if your not savvy with jetting. It will give you a good baseline and instructions for elevation and temperature changes. Jetting is not a one time thing.

the JD kit is worth every penny, period. I consider it one of the first things I do for my 4 stroke. The KTM kit also gives you the O ring for the AP linkage, which will help with the bog, and a leak jet, plus the normal needles and main jets.

Most likely the dealer just made some minor adjustments to the mixture via the fuel screw and moved the clip on the needle.

Get the kit, it makes jetting your bike correctly a no brainer.:applause: