Sign in to follow this  

Knee Braces?

I'm getting back into riding after a few years off. I blew my knee out last time...

I want to know what the best knee braces are..in your opinion..

Check out these new ones at podmx.com. I saw these at the Indy show and They are definately better than my Cell's that I have now. I ordered a bunch for the shop and a pair for myself. They are really comfortable and work like a dream!

If you have health insurance and a sports medicine doctor willing to work with you get the CTIs. I was using EVS braces for the last 8 years and finally switched to the CTIs this season, there is no comparison when getting an off the shelf brace vs custom. Most health insurance companies just need a prescription and a copy of the doctors records to OK a set of CTI's - look into it.

Are you a recreational rider, off road, or a motocrosser? Dr Mark is of the opinion that for motocrossers, it is a bigger risk than benefit, due to risk of long bone fracture.

Asterisks are comfortable but do not provide the best protection against a ligament tear. I have had a pair for 3 years and injured my knee again about a year ago. There is simply too much side to side play with the Asterisks. I do wear one on my good leg, just for some protection.

My history: ACL reconstruct in the late 80's with another scope a year later due to another injury. I have had a couple of different braces thru the years and the Donjoy works best for me for whatever sport I partake.

The Donjoy's will offer the most protection against another tear. They make an affordable off the shelf brace called The Armor. If you can get your othropedic doctor to get you a prescription, then the Donjoy Defiance will be the way to go. I have the Defiance that I got for mtn biking and now wear it on my bad knee and the Asterisk on my good knee. I would like to have the Armor for my good knee but I have already invested the money in the Asterisks.

Donjoy's website

Research it and make an educated decision.:applause:

thanks for the help. I'm very recreational for now. I do mountain biking and bmx, but mostly snowmobile. It's been 3 years since I tore the acl and I don't want to do it again...I know I shouldn't have got a motorcycle again, but riding the couch in the summer sucks....I'll search around the health section as well.

I have no ACL in my right knee, and used to come home limping just about every ride. All i had to do was stab my foot once just a little wrong, and that was it.

Since I started wearing an Asterisk on that leg, I haven't had any further knee pain as a result of riding, even once, even after a dynamic dismount. (BTW, Asterisk is made by CTi as their off-the-shelf product)

There are, however, different braces for different kinds of problems, and a competent sports orthopedist is your best source of advice.

I have no ACL in my right knee, and used to come home limping just about every ride. All i had to do was stab my foot once just a little wrong, and that was it.

Since I started wearing an Asterisk on that leg, I haven't had any further knee pain as a result of riding, even once, even after a dynamic dismount. (BTW, Asterisk is made by CTi as their off-the-shelf product)

There are, however, different braces for different kinds of problems, and a competent sports orthopedist is your best source of advice.

gray, I am sure the Asterisk helped your situation. It DOES prevent hyperextension, which is what the ACL does. It also takes some of the play out the movement of the knee. My problem was that I shredded the MCL as well and my knee is weak side to side. I don't think any of them will prevent a twisting injury by your foot catching a rock or stump.

well...guess I'll try the asterisk...and when I get injured as my ortho doctor said, "It's not if, but when on motorcycles"..then I'll come back and blame you guys....LOL

Thanks again for the input....see ya in the mud...

thanks for the help. I'm very recreational for now. I do mountain biking and bmx, but mostly snowmobile. It's been 3 years since I tore the acl and I don't want to do it again...I know I shouldn't have got a motorcycle again, but riding the couch in the summer sucks....I'll search around the health section as well.

Welcome back to the sport!!! You won't regret it.

I blew my ACL out a few years ago riding snowmobiles. Although I still own one sled, I have sold the rest and the while family has switched to riding dirt bikes. For us, it has been a GREAT move.

I wear Asterisks (I ride 90% trails) and have no problems or complaints (once you get them properly adjusted. Took me about one ride to get used to them, now I don't even know they are there. I will say that any knee brace (compared to knee pads) will be tougher on your riding pants and your graphics (where you grip the bike)... but well worth it.

Good luck.:applause:

I've been wearing the Asterisk '07 Cell models and love them. When I first started riding with them they felt bulky and strange (just like every other piece of safety equipment) but after a week of riding it feels like I have nothing on.

They are $600 for the pair but I bought them brand new off of ebay for $400.00. Well worth it imo.

So anyone else have tried the PODMX?

A guy in the health and fitness section said that the new POD was much better than the Cells that they replaced.

I've got meniscus damage in both knees, a condition for which they do not make a brace. Buying one (or a set) will only lighten my wallet and, as Dr. Mark supposedly says (based only on gmoss' post in this thread, I've never actually read the Dr.'s comment), risk potential damage to the long bones.

Take Gray's advice and seek a professional opinion.

This is a good pinned thread from KTMtalk concerning the use of knee braces. I hope you guys find it informative.:applause:

I have been getting alot of PMs and emails asking about knee braces. I am an orthotist/prosthetist meaning I make and fit braces and artifical limbs. My training is not from the knee brace makers (that is a sales rep) I went to school specifically for limbs and bracing and do not work for any manufacturer.

I am going to try to answer the most common questions I have been recieving in one place. Remember, this is free internet advice, I may be a 13 year old punk in my mothers basement.

I am going to keep this explination simple and generalized.

The knee joint

These are the ligaments you are interested in protecting.

MCL & LCL

The MCL connects the inside of the tibia to the inside of the femur. It prevents the knee joint from opening up on the inside.

The LCL connects the outside of the tibia to the outside of the femur. It prevents the knee joint from opening up on the outside.

Together they help keep the femur from sliding side to side across the tibia.

They are injured or torn when a force moves the leg into extreme bowlegged-ness (LCL is torn) or extreme knock-kneed (MCL is torn).

Would a knee brace protect against this type of injury?

Possibly. Knee braces are most effective in the side to side actions but as you can see, there is a lot of room for the femur to move inside the brace.

However, the condyles are captured fairly well and a knee unstable in the side to side motion can be braced very effectivly.

ACL & PCL

These are the ligaments that keep the tibia from sliding forward (ACL) and back (PCL) across the femur.

Inury to these ligaments come from hyperextension of the knee and/or planting the foot on the ground durring a heavy impact and the femur sliding forward or backward across the tibia ie...trying to correct a tiping bike at 30mph.

A knee brace is probably most effective at preventing hyperextension of the knee, however this is exactly the situation you want to avoid. When the knee attempts to hyperextend the femur and tibia are leveraged against the brace and a long bone fracture can occur. It is a very rare injury but I believe this is the exact injury KTMmissouri suffered from.

As for preventing the forward-back sliding of the tibia against the femoral condyles, a knee brace will do very little (if anything) to prevent this type of injury. They just cannot supply the amount of counter force required to keep the femur and tibia in alignment durring heavy impacts.

Twisting injuries, the tibia twists against the femur injuring some or all the ligaments. A knee brace will do nothing to prevent this injury.

So what are braces for?

1. Unstable knee joint. The most effective treatment is surgery, when surgery is not advised or wanted, a brace can help the patient return to activity. For instability in the ML (side to side) direction I recomend a DonJoy, Townsend style of brace. For instabilities in the ACL/PCL the CTi2 is a good brace. For off the self, nothing beats the asterisk/CTi brace for fit.

2. Recovery. When doctors used to use alot of donor ligaments for reconstruction, we would brace the knee until it recieved full strength. Atrophied quads and hamstrings cannot supply the support needed to control the knee and are braced.

3. Pain releif from cartilage damage or arthritis. A properly fit and designed brace can relieve pain associated with these problems. I highly recomend a brace called the Generation II for this type of unloading brace.

It should also be said that these principles govern all bracing. Your own muscle framework provides the best bracing possible. Using a brace on a healthy joint may cause a weakening of this framework and result in a higher risk for injury. On a heathy person stong abs and back muscles will do much more than a brace and the same can be said for the quads and hamstrings.

If you are injured and need a brace, use for support while strenghtening the involved muscles. When you are back to 100%, take it off.

• Like 1