Sign in to follow this  

xr400 retard the timing?

I haven't heard of a way to retard the timing. May I ask why you want to?

on a high compression engine, the timing could possible retarded to reverse pinging problems, predetionation, and could help get better fuel economy.

I heard someone mentioning about messing around in the CDI box but wanted to ask around here and see what anyone has to say

erik

Retarding the timing would hurt fuel economy as it starts the ignition later in the combustion cycle shortening burn time.

The 400 is a fairly low compression engine that does not have pre-ignition problems on pump gas unless a piston of over 11:1 C/R is fitted. Stock, I believe, is about 9.3:1.

Pre-ignition can be caused by a spark plug heat range that is too hot, or carbon accumulations in the cylinder head and piston crown.

Wouldn't retarding the timing also negate some of the benefits of going with a higher compression piston? I'd think (just IMO of course) the best solution would either be run a compression ratio that will run on pump gas, or run a high enough octane fuel for your compression ratio.

you are correct, your wasting your time buying a high compression kit and then trying to retard the timing. However, if you purchase a bike with a HC kit, it might be good to run a colder plug and retard the timing 1-2 degrees to keep the bike from pinging from predetination. That is why i was curious if it could be done?

thanks

erik

Alright, if you purchase a bike already in that condition it changes the situation a little bit. I was trying to figure out why you'd buy a high compression piston, then lower your power output, but now I see where you're going.

Not sure if you can do it or not however, someone else will have to answer that.

there has to be a way to retard the timing a bit. i called dyna about their adjustable fs ignition boxes and they dont make them anymore according to the guy that answered the phone...

maybe using a 98 up box to retard it as it was an emissions box.

The ignition control module on a 2003 is different than on a 1996 (according to Bike Bandit, these are the only years I checked). Might want to call Bike Bandit or Service Honda and ask if there is a difference. If the newer boxes do have the timing retarded a little bit, that could be another possible mod to do (put an older box on a new one and advance the timing).

Here's the part numbers if you want to check it out.

2003 XR400

2: MODULE, IGN CONT (CDI) 172049-001 $116.27

1996 XR400

2: MODULE, IGN CONT (CDI) Area Code A 172048-001 $167.56

Does anyone have a newer used cdi xr400 igniton box for sale? 98 and newer to see if it will retard the timing?