San Bernardino County Anti-OHV Ordinance ?????

Its real.

I just got a ticket Saturday for riding my bike for three minutes to warm it up for an oil change and test a suspension change. I live in Hesperia and they came into my neighborhood on two KLR's and an ATK dual sport bike.

I was guilty of breaking the law and will pay the ticket. But would like to say I have a chip on my shoulder about the whole thing. The reason being, is if I would have been on a Harley that was twice as loud I would not be out the money. And so does this mean I cant even warm run my bike for an oil change? It is not the cops fault it is a law created for the many idiots who buzz houses with a full throttle all day and kick up dust. Instead of riding discretely to the place where they dont bother anyone. But the cops think they are so smart writing tickets to good people to pay their salary, but then they dont respond to 911 calls if two honda cars are drag racing on the streets where kids are playing. And they are completely overwhelmed trying to deal with the meth heads. So they focus on the real criminals trying to change their oil.

They are weenies who think they are cool because they get paid to be weenies. I support officers, but these guys have no clue about the whole picture and dont care. They also let their buddies break the law and ride without a problem to be cool. I can prove that!

F them and the weenies who made a blanket law that really addresses nothing!

Z

Could it be that one of your neighbors called? I have been starting bikes, test running them up & down the street in O.C. and L.A. for over 15 years and have never had a problem. I do know that running up and down the street on a dirt bike is illegal and ticketable, but starting in own drive way is not as long as any local noise ordinances are followed.

It's not just ORV's, it's any motor vehicle engine. Here is where the ordinance is http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/landuseservices/Ordinances/ORD%2020OHV_CAO%2020Final.pdf

28.0406 Disturbing the Peace and Quiet Prohibited.

Notwithstanding any other provision in this chapter, no person shall operate

any motor vehicle (including any off-highway motor vehicle), or the motor thereof,

nor shall any person organize, conduct, or participate in staging (as defined herein),

in a manner that disturbs the peace or quiet of any neighborhood or person by

noise, dust, smoke, or fumes caused by such motor vehicle or staging activity.

Looks like it applies to Harley's too. The list would include construction equipment and cars with modified mufflers. I would complain loudly. This does not prevent you from starting your bike. If you rode it up and down the street, then it's a differnet story as they could have got you for a $1600 no insurance ticket too. The idea is to prevent you from "disturbing the peace." If I got this and I had the time, I would fight it. Seems to me that the cops are just a guilty as you are. Did they push thier bikes? Why is your bike an infraction and the ones that they are riding are not?

Red Ryno,

In my neighborhood I rode two block at a slow idle to a huge open field. My bike was not very loud. I also have the 96 dbl pro moto billet silincer on my bike. And I wasnt play riding. I was just warming it up to change the oil as it is written in the manual. Your tone acts as if I was one of the usual idiots who are showing no respect and riding it without regard on the street. I did deserve the ticket according to the law, but my actions where not the type created it.

Your inability to disguish the difference is exactly what I described this law to not take into account. And as far as Harleys go, somebody show me the first ticket for sound a Harley rider gets in San Bernardino County. The Sherrifs admit the double standard.

Also if you read, I was only out there less than three minutes, the neighbors would not have had time to call and get a response. They were already out there patrolling the area on tax payey and now ticket payer money!

My point is riding on the street even for 1 minute sets a bad example and gives OHV a bad name and rep...I could care less about Harleys,Mexicans or street racers,its the OHVers that I care about.Riding on the street,which I did in the past,before I knew any better,is detrimental to the sport.If you did it fine take your ticket and pay your fine,ranting about the Harleys,Mexicans and street racers doesnt take away from the fact you were wrong,and got caught.

Red Ryno,

I can see your point about riding about riding on the street. I just dont think it should be that simple. My point is if more people just showed some respect and courtesy this would not even be an issue or a law. So I guess I will just run my bike on the bike stand from now on everytime I want to to do a fuction test, since it is criminal to leave my driveway.

Some sexual acts are illegal too and we dont have police in are bedrooms. If they cant come for real problems I dont want them there as pest control.

I am also curious how they are going to handle dual sport bikes. Can I warm up My bike on the street if it has a plate? Or can I ride on the dirt road behind my house? Would I have gotten a ticket with a KTM 450EXC?

I am also curious how they are going to handle dual sport bikes. Can I warm up My bike on the street if it has a plate? Or can I ride on the dirt road behind my house? Would I have gotten a ticket with a KTM 450EXC?

That the point I was trying to make. The ordinance makes no specific mention of ORV's, it just says disturbing the peace with a motor vehicle. You got caught riding on the road. That has been illegal for a very long time. That was not part of the new law.

What did you get cited for?

From reading the ordinance it seems like you can still get cited for just running the engine if someone decides it is "disturbing the peace." That can be a Harley, or even a car. Were the cops not disturbing the peace on the evil motorcycles that they were riding?

Yes the law is for all motor vehicles, BUT the envrionmentalists and police are using it to target or should I say - PROFILE - a specific group. Namely US!!!! That is discrimination pure and simple. Until I see Harley's getting sound tickets or tractors getting tickets for making dust and noise, I refuse to believe otherwise.

I know what your saying, but my ticket is not disturbing the peace. My ticket was for operating an OHV on a city street and Riding in a non OHV specific open riding area.

The SB Sherrifs who act as our cops in Hesperia are not using the ordinance you quoted. But they did site the fact that it is now illegal to ride an OHV anywhere in the SB county not listed as a specific legal riding area. My wifes cousin is a brand new Sherrif in SB county who is on the OHV task force. He will be filling me in soon. He knows I am not happy about the specifics of his job and why. But he really is too new to understand it all since he was not an avid rider prior to this.

It sounds to me like there is a specific new law other than disturbing the peace that is specific to OHV's. This should be spelled out. I would like to know where and what I can do legally with a dual sport. Just because I am legal on the road doesnt mean I am legal on every dirt road or trail. That part is not addressed very well anywhere in one all encompassing area.

I know you can ride many trails in Arrowhead and Big Bear on a dual sport, but I am still fuzzy on the exact boundaries and honestly the rangers seem to be unclear also!

As far as the Harleys and Choppers it is and will probably always be a double standard. And actually its the rice rockets too. I love Harleys, and rice Rockets but they can screem with after market pipes and scare my kids, but I cant warm up my bike on my street. Its a double standard, Period! My CRF450 with either pipe I have is quieter than a stock Harley. I have a Big Gun Quiet Core and Stock Pipe with a ProMoto Billet silencer.