Sign in to follow this  

make it simple

i have a 03 rm250 and i want to do the top end and im new to it so a site or short list of exact tools i will need and your opinion on best piston replacement i ride the trails for now and hit backroads thats it for now and ive been on the street for the last 10 years and i finally settled down and bikes are what saved me so thanks to the folks who dont give a shit where people came from just where your goin.anyway ive been lookin for the easiest run down and any advice for the job...thanks patcap

You will need basic hand tools, and very importantly a SERVICE MANUAL! A top end gasket kit and some parts cleaner. As for a piston I would probably go with a vertex, athena or stock. There is nothing wrong with wiseco but they are a little noisy. Its not a hard job, but you will need to know how to get the power valve apart; thats why you need the manual. Good luck!

Get yourself a decent tool set from Sears. Something that includes sockets, wrenches, allen wrenches, and driver bits. You are eventually going to need just about every tool in that kit to perform the weelly maintenance, and repairs the bike is going to need. Get yourself a repair manual, I'm sure someone here can direct you in the right direction for that. Order yourself the proper Wiseco piston kit and gaskets for your bike. You are obviously new to all of this, so don't be afraid to ask questions, even if you think they may be dumb! You will learn from other peoples mistakes and experience that way, minimizing your own f-ups! Good luck!

Patcap you will need an owners manual. The Suzuki owners manual is like most shop manuals. You will need to know how to take apart the power valve and it is a little involved. Use your camrea to take a lot of pics to refer to when rebuilding. You will need feeler gauges to make sure the rings have the proper clearance in the piston. It is VERY important to remove the glaze from the cylinder wall so the new rings seat correctly. There are people that will say you need to hone the cylinder so the rings seat and there are people that say you do not need to hone. Yhe last time I changed rings I used EZoff oven cleaner and a scotch bright pad to remove the glaze and flushed with a lot of water. The rings are not that old and there was alot of blow by. it looks like the rings did not seat well. What does everyone say about honing?????

You will need basic hand tools, and very importantly a SERVICE MANUAL! A top end gasket kit and some parts cleaner. As for a piston I would probably go with a vertex, athena or stock. There is nothing wrong with wiseco but they are a little noisy. Its not a hard job, but you will need to know how to get the power valve apart; thats why you need the manual. Good luck!

ive got it torn down and everything looks good as far as cyl.walls and all that,the power valve?you mean the exhayst valves or if not explain.and i have a manual now,thanks for the info to everyone