Sign in to follow this  

Tire Change ?? How ??

This may sound like a silly question, but ! If you are out in the bush somewhere and NEED, to fix a puncture, how the hell do you support your bike ?

I mean, when you are in your workshop you have scissor lifts, static stands, tyre change rings ECT... out in the bush (especially if you are on your own), you have none of that.

I can see how if there was a nearby log you could lift your bike to perch on top and remove the wheel. Same with a rock or thick bush. But what do you do if you are out there with nothing but vast emptiness ??

If you lay the bike down it pours fuel everywhere, and it is bloody difficult. There are not too many sky hooks where I live ?

I have never yet had a tyre to repair in over 30 years and tens of thousands of miles of riding, just wondering in case I had to one day.

Interested to hear how everyone else does it.

Turn your fuel off and lay it down on it's side.

It's not a fun job, but it's better then trying to ride with a flat.

I've had to change tubes out on the trail and I'll never do it again if I can help it. Here's the dealio for on the trail tube repair/changes: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/catalogs/Parts_Unlimited_Offroad_2006/default.asp?p=421 The "Ultimate" is the one. If you have someone to help you it makes a big difference. I'll try to find a rock or log for a makeshift stand, lay the bike down or against a ledge or bush, or even try to find a forked stick to use as a second kick stand. Anyway you do it it sucks. I know a guy who can do it easily on the trail in about 5 minutes...by himself. For me it is an hour minimum.

• Like 1

I've seen pictures of those guys that do the guided tours of baja do it useing another bike as a stand.

Whatever works in a pinch I guess :applause:

This may sound like a silly question, but ! If you are out in the bush somewhere and NEED, to fix a puncture, how the hell do you support your bike ?

I mean, when you are in your workshop you have scissor lifts, static stands, tyre change rings ECT... out in the bush (especially if you are on your own), you have none of that.

I can see how if there was a nearby log you could lift your bike to perch on top and remove the wheel. Same with a rock or thick bush. But what do you do if you are out there with nothing but vast emptiness ??

If you lay the bike down it pours fuel everywhere, and it is bloody difficult. There are not too many sky hooks where I live ?

I have never yet had a tyre to repair in over 30 years and tens of thousands of miles of riding, just wondering in case I had to one day.

Interested to hear how everyone else does it.

Find a standing tree and move your bike so that your swing arm in touching the tree, and put your side stand down. make sure there is enough room to take your tire off.

Turn your fuel off and lay it down on it's side.

It's not a fun job, but it's better then trying to ride with a flat.

Wow....that has to be the dumbest thing i've heard all day. Please explain where the valve is that keep the gas from coming out fo the vent hose. I'm very interested in this because I have yet to locate one on any bike I have ever seen.

Go to your local shop and pay $1.99 for one of those one way flow things. I put one on my vent tube and now no gas flows out but air flows in.