Sign in to follow this  

KX 65 Gear Oil ?

Hey, wondering what type of gear oil you all use. Didn't find much using Search.

I just picked up a used '03 65 couple weeks ago and will be changing out the gear oil. Manual says to use API SE, SF, or SG 10w-40, which I'm told is a engine oil not gear lube?

Reason I ask is, I just talked with this guy who had to have his lower end rebuilt on his sons 65 due to using 2-stroke gear lube and not engine oil. His mechanic told him that. Something to do with the 65's only. I was going to use the Honda Pro gear lube that I use in my CRF, but maybe not?

Thanks, and I'm new to the 2-strokes.

Nonsense. There's nothing special about the gearbox of a KX65 compared to the millions of other 2-strokes out there.

Gearbox oil will work fine, as will motor oil. I would avoid the lighter weight energy saving oils, as they have been known to cause clutch issues.

The Honda gearbox oil will be fine, as would Dello 400, ATF, any 20-50 wt oil, etc.

I have ran type F tranny fluid in my kids KX60 for the past 3 years and it's still on the same clutch with no issues. The gear box in the 60 is the same one in your 65 only the cylinders are different in size.

Is the type f ATF better than Castrol 10/40 motor oil? Ive seen this before on TT but never asked about it or tried it. Also have a YZ85 I would like to try it in.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea, I kinda had one eye cocked when he was telling me this. I know he was convinced, so that got me to thinking. I mean it's just gears and clutch like the rest.

May just go with the same oil I use in the KLX 110. Keep it simple and readily available in my area. I've heard about the ATF fluid also, but never tried it.

Man, this little bike rips. Don't think I've ever seen a bigger smile on my sons face before. Might have to sell the 110. Took him about 10 stalls and a couple tears to learn the clutch. Again thanks and take care.

I bought my son a 01 kx65 for christmas.When i got it I thought the clutch needed adjustment.I changed the gear oil and put in the same stuff he ran.Maxuim 90wt gear oil.I read somewere on here the heavy gear oils dont work good in the little bikes.Just before i was about to re-do the clutch.I decided to try this type F autotranny fluid thing. i keep coming across when doing searches. Low and behold his tranny now shift's like brand new.Before it would creep and almost die when you pulled the clutch in too stop.I am a believer. Go with the type F You be amazed at how well it shifts

Go with the type F You be amazed at how well it shifts

Well that's two of you. Just might have to try it. I have noticed that finding nuetral is kind of tricky and rear tire won't roll when in gear, engine running, pulling in clutch while pushing. Will do when engine is not running. Thanks

Well that's two of you. Just might have to try it. I have noticed that finding nuetral is kind of tricky and rear tire won't roll when in gear, engine running, pulling in clutch while pushing. Will do when engine is not running. Thanks

Why is that, old oil?

Would Motorex transoil be alright in a 65?

We have a couple of 65s that are raced and seriously abused on the trails. I use the dirt-cheap autoparts store brand 10w-40, and have never had a problem. Just change it often (once a month or so if you are only riding weekends, more often if you are riding every day like in the summer). And go ahead and sell that 110. I know from experience that he will never want to ride it again. Besides, compared to the KX I think the KLX 110 is downright dangerous (no brakes, no suspension, weighs a ton). The 65 will be just as reliable as the 110. Keep the air filter clean (use PC racing filter skins to cut down on the work). Rockymountain has a $35 chain and sprocket kit, and motosport.com has a $79 top-end kit. Run yamalube 2R at 32:1. The KX 65 has to be one of the greatest bikes ever in terms of smiles per dollar. Enjoy!

I dont know why. I just put in .89 cents a bottle cheapy ATF from walmart.He only has about 1/2 hr on it.When we change it im going to put some good brand name ATF like castrol.Its still only like $2 or so a quart and the little bike i think takes less than a quart.If you run the ATF for awhile and decide you dont like it thats fine too.I read on here somewere .Were guys say it has lots of detergent.So they found it really cleaned up the inside of gear box from residue and deposits from past oils that were ran in it.