Sign in to follow this  

Going from 426f to a 250f???

I know this has been run into the ground and yes I have searched and searched, but still don't feel 100% about going to a 250f.

I am 6'2", 200 lbs. and am currently riding a WR426f. The WR is very heavy and cumbersome to ride so I was thinking of going to a 250f for the lighter feel. I haven't ridden ANY 250 4-strokes and I fear that I would never be satisfied with the power of a 250 in comparison to a 426/450.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

I too used to ride a 426 now I ride a 250F. There is a big difference in power for sure but there are a lot of big-bore options that will deliver all the power you want. I put a 263cc piston in mine and it made a BIG difference, I recently bought a 300cc kit but heven't put it on yet.

The new 450's feel and are a lot lighter then your 426. I think you should ride both ..But the New 450 is the way to go IMO.

I would go out and see if you can ride a 250f, some of your friends bikes etc. then you will know exacally if that is what you want.

I think you are exactly right on this one... but believe it or not, I don't know a single person that has a 250f that I could ride.

I just saw a 250f with a 310cc kit in it... that may just be the perfect combo for me.

I have a 426, and Im making the switch to an 07 250f sometime in the next week or so. I havent ever ridden a new aluminum frame bike, but Ive ridden a few friends 04 250f's and like them a lot.

if your a good rider and like the 426, why not add just a tad bit more power and save a whole lotta weight and get a 450? all i know is with my lard ass at 190 on my 250f i wish for a lil bit more power. and you comin from a 426 and bein 10 lbs heavier, i'm possotive that you would like the 450. and you say you dont know anyone with a 250f...anyone with a 450? you can always just see if you like the 450.

I have a 426, and Im making the switch to an 07 250f sometime in the next week or so. I havent ever ridden a new aluminum frame bike, but Ive ridden a few friends 04 250f's and like them a lot.

Vibration wise, the aluminum framee is the same as the steel, but just imagine the bike being easier to flick around.

Vibration wise, the aluminum framee is the same as the steel, but just imagine the bike being easier to flick around.

Yeah, I am definately getting an aluminum frame bike, but started thinking of maybe going the 450 route.... Im really confused on this whole thing. I liked the 250f's I rode, but I like my 426 a lot too. At the same time, Ive never really used to full power of the 426, and always cursed its weight...

This probably doesn't matter to you. The 250f is really weak in the mud.

This probably doesn't matter to you. The 250f is really weak in the mud.

I dont like the mud anyways... haha. I like hard pack, and sand...

ive made that exact switch from 2001 426 to a wr 250 2003 and i have to say that i love the 250f and never ride the 426.250 takes awhile to get used to as rides differently, have to keep the bike on the boil,but so much easier to turn, stop, no more arm pump etc and after a 3-4 hr ride still want more. id only go the 450 if your a gun rider, but for the average weekend hack cant go past the 250 especially if you can afford the 2007 yammi:applause: ps check out my garage can see both bikes

Unless you ride in the desert exclusively a big-bore 250F is waaay more fun than any 400-450. Try it! You can easily get 40 H.P. out of one and the lighter weight and lower center of gravity add up to the most fun on 2 wheels.

Unless you ride in the desert exclusively a big-bore 250F is waaay more fun than any 400-450. Try it! You can easily get 40 H.P. out of one and the lighter weight and lower center of gravity add up to the most fun on 2 wheels.

Desert is mostly what I ride, but the areas are single track-ish, and I am going to start going to the track often.

I had a 426 and when I first rode some 250Fs I was coming up short on alot of jumps. It was not because the bike was lacking power but because I was more accustomed to the lower rpm sound of the 426. So, I was basically looking for the same sound as my guide on the 250F. Once I got used to spinning it higher, I did just fine.

250f is a great bike but if you are 200 lbs dont waste your time get a new 450

250f is a great bike but if you are 200 lbs dont waste your time get a new 450

That's a load of crap

I got my new 07 250f today, and I must say its light, turns better and is a bit faster than the 426, I am very happy with my choice.

I got my new 07 250f today, and I must say its light, turns better and is a bit faster than the 426, I am very happy with my choice.

Knew ya'd be happy. These things are so easy to flick around.