Sign in to follow this  

Trade in my CRV for a 4x4 Tacoma. Would I be happy with the power increase?

I currently have a '05 CRV LX (no AWD).

Engine: 2.4L inline 4

HP: 160 @ 6,000 RPM

Torque: 162 ft lb @ 3,600RPM

Curb weight: 3,428lbs

Towing capacity: 2,000lbs

When I purchased it I didn't know I'd be getting into bikes, camping out at the dunes, etc. I tow a 5x8 Zieman open trailer with it, 1-2 bikes (mostly 1), and camping gear, etc. It tows alright but sometimes I wish there was more power there. The lack of 4x4 also sucks because I've buried it a couple times at the dunes, while trying to get to the campsite (last trip I had to dig it out because it was midnight with no other options, major PIA). It was impossible to get my momentum up in these situations, as well.

I've started looking at mid-sized trucks, specifically the 4x4 Tacoma with Access cab.

Engine: 4.0L V6

HP: 236 @ 5,200RPM

Torque: 266 ft lb @ 4000RPM

Curb weight: 3965lbs

Towing capacity: 3,500lbs

This would give me a ~48% HP increase and ~64% torque increase while adding ~500lbs of vehicle weight. Would I be happy with this increase for what I tow? And would the 4x4 be good when I'm out at Glamis since I'm not towing that much? My neighbor seems to think I need a full-sized truck with a V8 for what I tow and says the V6 won't suffice.

Why I'm only looking at the Tacoma:

-cost. Looking to spend ~25K (may look at older model, 2005 being the oldest)

-resale value

-reliability

-don't like the frontier

-truck is easier to get stuff in and out of

-I've never used the seating capacity of my CRV so the access cab is fine

your not going to like the gas mileage. the chevy 5.3 v8 gets better mpg than the toyota 6 banger. the 4.0 gets such bag mpg they don't even post what the mpg is.

get the chevy. double towing ratings. way more hp and tq and better mpg

your not going to like the gas mileage. the chevy 5.3 v8 gets better mpg than the toyota 6 banger. the 4.0 gets such bag mpg they don't even post what the mpg is.

get the chevy. double towing ratings. way more hp and tq and better mpg

Where did you get your MPG information? According to fueleconomy.gov 18/21 for the Tacoma vs 15/19 for the Chevy. Resale value is important so I won't buy a GM, Ford, etc.

I own a 2006 tacoma prerunner, 2wd, and have been getting 19 mpg all around, with the majority being city driving. I have been bale to get 21 mpg on the road. I assume that the 4 wd would get 1 mpg less, but maybe not if you are not a lead foot. As far as power and torque go, it is awsome. This is plenty of truck for my needs, and I expect superior reliability, cost of ownership, and resale value compared to ford/gm/chrysler.

Where did you get your MPG information? According to fueleconomy.gov 18/21 for the Tacoma vs 15/19 for the Chevy. Resale value is important so I won't buy a GM, Ford, etc.

personal exp!!! good luck

fueleconomy.gov:lol: :applause: When the last time the GOV have done anything right..

Heres an idea. go rent each truck for a week and see for your self:thumbsup:

If you are planning on doing any offroad, check out a board I am on:

www.ttora.com

Lot of knowlegde on these trucks, and has led me to know my truck, inside and out, top to bottom.

I just read a consumer reports mag, avg mile per gallon full size Chevy with 5.3 was 14!:applause: I know the Toyota will beat that.

:applause: further proof that CR isnt worth the paper its printed on.

a 2wd 5.3 silverado is rated at 22hwy and will probably beat that. Hell my 6000lb 2500HD 4x4 gets 14+

For what you are towing, I would look at the Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder with a manual transmission. It will get incredible gas mileage (21/27 mpg rating) and has a 3500 lb towing capacity. You can get the access cab and 4x4 with this engine... just my two cents.

I don't see how the V4 would be much better than what I currently have. It has 159HP and 180 lb ft of torque. Gearing?

I don't see how the V4 would be much better than what I currently have. It has 159HP and 180 lb ft of torque. Gearing?

Full frame, and much better towing capacity-the CRV is rated for 1500 lbs, while the 4 cyl reg cab tacoma is rated for 3500 lbs.

Huge jump, IMHO.

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/specifications_full_specs.asp?ModelName=CR%2DV&Category=2

http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/specs.html

It's not the numbers on paper that mean anything, it's how it performs in the real world conditions. Go out and drive one, or rent one for a week from a rental agency and see how it performs doing what you want to do.

:applause: (turn sarcasm on)Just remember, manufacturer's never lie about any specs on their products (turn sarcasm off):applause:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21185.shtml

This says that the 4.0 V6 tacoma w/4WD will get 17/21. And this is a government website

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/21142.shtml

This says that the 4.7 V8 tundra w/4wd will get 16/18.

With the tundra your comfort and towing capacity are dramatically increased and you wont even have to haul a trailer. I dont know this for a fact but I bet that a tundra with 1 or 2 bikes in the back gets better mpg on the highway than a tacoma pulling 1 or 2 bikes on a trailer.

I do know this: My 2WD 5.4L F150 gets 10-12mpg around town. When I put my bike in the back and head to the track I will get as much as 16 or 17. (I drive 65) However, the second we hook up our trailer my mileage will drop 3-4 on the highway even though I am only going 65 mph.

Just get a tundra. You will be so much happier when you get in after a long day at work and you dont feel like your climbing into a dog cage.

[ And this is a government website

Yes cuz we all know what a WONDERFUL job the GOV does:bonk:

Yes cuz we all know what a WONDERFUL job the GOV does:bonk:

Do Not Worry, I am From the Government, and I'm Here to Help You.

N-Orleans-SWAT-convention-center.doc.jpg

It has been proven time and time again the innaccuracies of the EPA mileage estimates, but one must remember, they are all skewed upwards, so when comparing mileages using that site, it is still a good indicator of car A vs car B. It gets unrealistic when you start comparing your current MPG against the estimated MPG

Any more questions, see my signature.

It has been proven time and time again the innaccuracies of the EPA mileage estimates, but one must remember, they are all skewed upwards, so when comparing mileages using that site, it is still a good indicator of car A vs car B. It gets unrealistic when you start comparing your current MPG against the estimated MPG

Any more questions, see my signature.

Hmm, I've gotta disagree with that. No doubt many of them are skewed upwards, but quite a few are skewed the other direction too.

Even towing his little coleman popup camper in the mountains, dad's never been able to get fuel mileage as bad as the window sticker of his trucks. His 4.8 powered silverado's are rated at 18hwy and he never gets under 20... and with empty all interstate miles he can get upwards of 23-24. For GM small blocks, I really think you'd have to drive the piss out of them to even come close to the EPA's numbers.

Hmm, I've gotta disagree with that. No doubt many of them are skewed upwards, but quite a few are skewed the other direction too.

Even towing his little coleman popup camper in the mountains, dad's never been able to get fuel mileage as bad as the window sticker of his trucks. His 4.8 powered silverado's are rated at 18hwy and he never gets under 20... and with empty all interstate miles he can get upwards of 23-24. For GM small blocks, I really think you'd have to drive the piss out of them to even come close to the EPA's numbers.

My 94 C1500 does also claim much worse than I get, but that is the only vehicle I have ever owned that does this-every other one is usually 10-15% worse than estimated

No way will a fullsize Chevy beat the Tacoma in fuel economy.

Meanwhile, back on topic, yes you will be happy with the power increase. You are also moving to a vehicle that actually has a frame under it, unlike the CRV which is little more than an economy car with AWD and an SUV body on it.

My 94 C1500 does also claim much worse than I get, but that is the only vehicle I have ever owned that does this-every other one is usually 10-15% worse than estimated

I've had a couple both ways... and a couple that were dead on. The Iroc for example drasticly varies depending on how heavy my foot is that day... sometimes it'll get 22, sometimes it'll get 9 or so lol.

Every current generation small block chevy in my family routinely blows the epa estimates out of the water though.... including the new impala SS my brother picked up a couple weeks ago.

No way will a fullsize Chevy beat the Tacoma in fuel economy.

I beg to differ!:applause:

I own a 94 C1500, ext cab, SB, 5.7L, AT 2wd 3.08 gears that regularly gets 18 mpg, and on long road trips will break into the 20's (I do drive like an old woman, though) :applause: