Sign in to follow this  

Can I use 1985 XR80 wheels on a 2003 XR100

I just got a good deal on a XR100 but it is too tall for my son. I was wondering If I could put XR80 wheels on it? If so what years? Is there any other ideas to lower it two inches?

Thanks, mike

You can use any year from 1985 - 2006. You'll need a brake rod and 420 chain and sprocket. You could use the 100 chain and front sprocket and just swap the rear, but the 420 is lighter.

I am new to bikes and would like to understand.

I think you said that the break rod and the sprocket of a xr100 will not work with the xr80 wheels. Is this the case? Will the sprocket physically not work with the chain or is it too big or small. If it is too small or big what will that do if I use it?

Thanks, mike

Oh wait, I'm thinking swapping the swingarm too. You can keep the brake rod. But, you will need a 420 chain and a xr80 front sprocket.

I did something similar for my ten year old. I run an XR80 wheel and rear sprocket (geared correctly for the smaller wheel), a 17" CR80 front wheel (drum from 83-85 is basically the same as the XR80/100). (I added 1983 31mm CR forks.)

It's a nice set up.

i hate bringing back threads from the dead, but can an 83-85 cr80 front wheel bolt right onto an xr100 front end? are the width and axle diameter the same?

I just got done lowering my sons 2001 XR100. I used wheels from an XR80. I also found and XR80 swingarm and linkage on Ebay for $25. I had to replase a broken swingarm bushing and 2 linkage bushings at $12 each but...

The wheel will drop you about 1.5 inch the swing and is about another inch to 1.5in.

The xr 80 forks are 1.5" shorter. You can't raise the forks in the clamps that high without bar spacers. I boutght them form Rocky MT mc for $20. HAd to go to Lows and get bolts because this ones in the spacer kit are to large diameter for honda mounts, I used the minimum amount of spacer and it allowed me to daise the bars a full 1.5". I had a pair of gold al Renthold bars in teh attic that I had aquired in a box of trials bike parts. They were about an inch or two shorter than the Honda bars so they made up the differance of the spacers.

The brake rod did work with the shorter swing arm but you had to thred the nut almost all of the way in. I also am running the XR80 srocket with the XR100 front sprocket with the larger chain. It seems to be working fine.

It lowered the bike about 3" so don't forget the xr80 side stand. I got mine off of Ebay for $10.

A new set of tires on the 80cc wheels and we were good to go!

Will your mod work for a 2002 XR100? I am in the same boat, she is 11 and I need to drop it about 3 inches. What year XR80 wheels should I try and find?

Thanks for any help.

Todd

early 1980's Cr80 wheels are even better.

Aluminum wheels and the 17 inch rim have more tire choices.