Sign in to follow this  

O.K, Lets make this simple: KLX250S vs Car

For us potential KLX250s buyers, how can you owners compare your bike to a car? I drive a 2.2L Accord coupe. In terms of speeds between 0 and 65mph power, if I have as much power as my car and all that dirt capability, I'll be as happy as a clam. If it runs like a Geo Metro, then I'll have to reconsider:cry:

I can't imagine driving a 250 on the street. I wish my DRZ 400s had more power as it stands. It's fun though - and faster than 95% of the cars around town.

If my KLX300 ran like my accord, I'd be very pleased. Although my Accord is turbo charged :applause:

I can't imagine driving a 250 on the street. I wish my DRZ 400s had more power as it stands. It's fun though - and faster than 95% of the cars around town.

If my KLX300 ran like my accord, I'd be very pleased. Although my Accord is turbo charged :applause:

First there is your problem right there the car is turbo charged. my uncle has the same car. fisrt thing is that the 400 may have power but it revs like a mother. the 250 would not be good for you only becuase you are horse power junky. you would be alot happier with a 450. when you think or compare the size of a car engine to how much power they make and compare that to a bikes engine size to how much power they put out. a bike actually could put out more than a car. these are stock cars we are talking about to. just some info to help your mind.

I would like this comparsion as well.

My truck makes 191 hp and weighs 4100 lbs. Would a KLX250 outaccelerate it? If so I'd be happy with it I think.

Another perspective------how would your car do on single track in the woods or wherever? Or in CO perhaps in the foothills if you're near the front range. I'm a bit surprised to see a KLX compared to a car for acceleration and horsepower? Maybe a KLR but if you're thinking KLX that's typically something that WILL see off road action even if it's street legal. I had a KLR 250 in germany and the usa and to me nothing could beat it for city driving at 70 MPG! It's not a ninja, though.

I owned a 2006 new klxs for about 3 weeks "300km" before I sold it to buy the DRZ400s.

I raced a guy in a ford f150 and he wooped my ass, bike was never ahead and shut it down once I reached 40 mph, . The little klx250 is slow and doesnt have power, wont even do a wheelie in first gear.........

cheers

Where are all the 250s owners? The guys who know riding isn't all about horsepower?

Well, if it won't hang with a F150 it won't hang with a F150. I guess I'll just tow it to the trails and use it around town.

ive got one its an 07 and i thought it was ok considering i race a kx250f and the klx wants to pop up but u cant go over 4000rmp cause im still runing it in

and i got 75km in top gear at 4000 rmp but i dont know if thats goo speed

im still runing it in

Break it in like you're going to ride it or you'll never get the rings seated well and won't have the HP of another KLX that was broken in correctly. After 200 miles and an oil change, you should be good to go. Seat those rings!!!

I raced a guy in a ford f150 and he wooped my ass, bike was never ahead and shut it down once I reached 40 mph, . The little klx250 is slow and doesnt have power, wont even do a wheelie in first gear.........

You must really have something wrong with your bike then.Mine wheelies great and runs like an animal for what it is.I couldn't ask a little 250 to do more than what it is doing.

You must really have something wrong with your bike then.Mine wheelies great and runs like an animal for what it is.I couldn't ask a little 250 to do more than what it is doing.

Not to be a dick or anything but the only problem was that I bought the klx250s First instead of the drz400:ride:

Even the guy I sold the klx to got rid of it.:applause:

I do like the looks of the klx250s, but thats about it

cheers

well than why are you complaining about it if you got rid of it??? Are you that bored?usually when i sell something i forget about all the stuff that bothered me about it and i'll get a new toy and sit down and relax with a cold one and ponder what i will alter on it next.

well than why are you complaining about it if you got rid of it??? Are you that bored?usually when i sell something i forget about all the stuff that bothered me about it and i'll get a new toy and sit down and relax with a cold one and ponder what i will alter on it next.

I'm discussing about it because I used to own one and it it is a lousy dual sport bike that is under powered, has valve problems and couldnt even lift the front tire in first gear. :applause: I'm glad I sold the KLX250s to get the drz400.

Ps. dont make the mistake I made with the KLX250s.

:lol: drz400

I'm glad your happy as it wasn't the bike for you,but i love my 250 and it wheelies just fine in first thru second without much effort.I've never heard of them having valve issues any more than any other twin cam 4 strokes from kawi or Honda/yamaha they all seem to be comparable in the reliability department.The drz sounds like fun but it's heavier than i wanted and not quite as quick in the handling for what i got the bike for.

I'm glad your happy as it wasn't the bike for you,but i love my 250 and it wheelies just fine in first thru second without much effort.I've never heard of them having valve issues any more than any other twin cam 4 strokes from kawi or Honda/yamaha they all seem to be comparable in the reliability department.The drz sounds like fun but it's heavier than i wanted and not quite as quick in the handling for what i got the bike for.

Westerncan,

Personally, I wouldn't ride a DRZ if you gave it to me. I'd sell it. :-) BUT, there are many that love them. Just goes to show, that no bike fits everyone. As for the KLX250, yes it is underpowered compared to a CRF, YZF, KXF, etc - or a DRZ. No doubt about it. If that's what you were expecting, you'll be disapointed. If you were expecting a fun little hop around town bike that excells in tight woods, then the KLX is the ticket. I don't know about the KLX250's gearing as I have a 300, but even before the FCR carb, I could easily wheelie in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and with some body english, 4th. After putting on the FCR it's a wheelie machine.

As for valve issues, there's no way the KLX is as good as the YZ/WR line, however it's better than the CRF line. There are definately issues, but I'd say it falls mid line as far as modern 4 strokes go. The smaller the engine, the more "issues" you will generally have because those of us that put high demands on the little guys rev a lot more than we would on your 400. The yamaha's are as bulletproof as you're going too get though....

Cheers,

bp

You guys are being awefully nice. Westerncan is a troll. He's already been to the Kawasaki forums site ragging on the KLX250 and making such statements as 'I can pull the front wheel up at 70MPH on my DRZ400E.'

He's not here for anything constructive...just to get a rise out of someone.

well...I'm not rising so it don't matter....point is i love my little bike and it does exactly what i wanted it to do...

If you were expecting a fun little hop around town bike that excells in tight woods, then the KLX is the ticket.

This is the exact bike that i bought.Just what i wanted.I would pay to see your drz wheelie at 70 mph as that is hard to believe.I live my life off road on my atv and i have just ventured into the D-S world and i don't care what anyone says but to wheelie at 70 mph is highly doubtful on 400 cc...if it does then i would imagine you are replacing alot of internal parts every 500 miles or so...........and then there you can have your reliability......as to a rise out of me....I could care less as to what some idiot does to flatten himself out there.:applause: eat it cowboy.

My. I didn't open this thread for weeks because I thought the subject was a bit....lame. But I must admit, after reading all the above, I should've gone with my first instinct.