Sign in to follow this  

Different gearing for street/dirt but with same chain?

I''d like to go with taller gearing for the street but then want to change down again when I put dirt tires on. do you guys know what combo I'd need to run so I don't have to keep changing chains around?

maybe 15/38 and then 14/41 or something?

15/44 (street) 14/47 (dirt) uses same stock chain.

Yep...

On the 'S' model, that's the way to go. That'll give you the biggest ratio spread, while using the stock chain.

:applause:

I''d like to go with taller gearing for the street but then want to change down again when I put dirt tires on. do you guys know what combo I'd need to run so I don't have to keep changing chains around?

maybe 15/38 and then 14/41 or something?

I have ran 15/41 to 15/48 with stock 112 link chain. If I'm not mistaken, that's the largest range in rear sprocket you can operate while still using the 15 tooth front sprocket.

Wouldn't it be more cost and time effective to just purchase and change the front sprocket as apposed to replacing both sprockets each time you change your direction of riding style? a 14/47 ratio will get you the same thing as 13/44 ratio and a 16/44 will make for a nice ratio on the streets without having to replace the rear sprocket. Just curious why you would spend the extra money and time to achieve the same result............

Wouldn't it be more cost and time effective to just purchase and change the front sprocket as apposed to replacing both sprockets each time you change your direction of riding style? a 14/47 ratio will get you the same thing as 13/44 ratio and a 16/44 will make for a nice ratio on the streets without having to replace the rear sprocket. Just curious why you would spend the extra money and time to achieve the same result............
I go back and forth 14/47 15/47. As simple as it gets.

I will agree.... Just change the front sprocket. Works on my XR600R

Two sets of wheels (one for dirt the other for street) would be the main reason. Also some people have complained of problems using the 13'' front sprocket in terms of wear.

I have been using 15/47 w/ 120 links. Works great for me on dirt and street. top speed is a little lower. I cant go thet fast with dirt tires on anyway. I had a 15/47 ratio and the bike would hit over 100 mph. But geting pulled over many times (twice in one day once) has made the 44 tooth sprocket unnessesary for me at this point. :applause:

I own an SM so i'm going to have a different set of wheels for dirt so I'll have a dedicated sprocket for dirt. I've decided on a 16/41 combo for the street...does anyone know the lowest gearing I'll be able to run with the same chain? is there some kind of formula I can use?

so how do you come up with how many links you need is there a formula???

i'm going by what the s/sm & e models use from the factory, & what i've experienced.

known facts: sm comes stock with 15/41, 56 total teeth. uses 110 links.

s model uses 15/44, 59 total teeth. uses 112 links.

e model uses 14/47, 61 total teeth. uses 112 links.

i've run quite a few different gearing combos for both offroad & sm use.

on my s model, i was able to use 112 links up to 14/48, 62 total teeth.

when i went to 14/49, i needed 114 links.

out of the norm? like perhaps 12/39?? with that combo, you would prob.need 108 links.

but what would be the point? 12/39 = 3.25 ratio. a similar ratio can be achieved using more "normal" size sprockets.

ex.:14/45 = 3.214

13/42 = 3.231

i was thinking something like

38/16=2.38 (anyone ever done this???)

or

50/13=3.85 (or this)

rediculuse i know i was just trying to learn of there was a formula to work it out.

i was thinking something like

38/16=2.38 (anyone ever done this???)

or

50/13=3.85 (or this)

rediculuse i know i was just trying to learn of there was a formula to work it out.

110 links for the 38/16 combo

114 links for the 50/13 combo.

all figured out using what i posted above.

i will take yr word for it cos you know your stuff but you are just going by what you know not something people can work out before hand as i said unless i read it wrong eg 38+16 = 54 / 41+15 = 56 both 110 chain but thats only cos you know the cutoff point for that lentgh of chain no set way to say this fits that because of this and this

maybe some that knows them all could try to see if it works out in a speard sheet and post it.

that's great info! thanks man!

so I should be able to use a 110 link chain for a 16/41 and a 14/44 combo? awesome! should work pretty well in the dirt with 14/44 right?