Sign in to follow this  

97 rm250

1997 rm250 all new top end -- But bike is hard to kick start. kicks fine with plug out. plug in feels like to much compression. all stock parts installed. does this bike have a compression release? or do I have the exhaust valve adjusted wrong -- set it up per factory manual. Any sugestions. thanks david

I have the same bike and it is VERY hard to start. I just did a new top end and still hard to start. I have compression and spark so it must be the carb. I have taken my carb apart and it is spotless. Some people on this website say they use a 35 idle jet. I may have to try that. There is no compression release. The exhaust valve doesn't move until you get up to certain rpms, so it doesn't even move when kick starting. You might look at the plug after kicking a few times and see if it is wet, then the bike is probably flooding. Let me know if you figure it out. I have sprayed a little starter fluid in the filter and it started right up once.

I am a guy with a 35 pilot, but I wouldn't use my jetting as a standard.

How hard is it to kick? I'll admit, it is stiff on mine, but I just assumed that is the way a 185/190 psi engine should feel. Mine is 1-3 kicks cold and first kick hot with throttle wide open. Also. it is snappy off idle as it should be.

I have a 35 pilot, 165 main (though it could be a bit lean) and am still working on a needle.

I am trying some different needles because it is still smoky in the mid throttle range.

btw: when I got it, it had a 50 pilot and a 155 main. They couldn't even get the bike to start. When I finally did get it to start, it wouldn't idle very well and the air screw did nothing but kill the bike if you screwed it in.

I played with a few different set ups this summer on my 00 250 and my best so has been.

152 main

38 pilot

1 clip(leanest) on the stock needle

12 clicks out on the choke

1 3/4 out on the air screw

Nice and crisp at all rpm's,no bogs,no smoke except at start up,plug is nice and light brown tanned.Used to be hard to start not anymore.

Your 00 has a powerjet carb, right? If so, your main will be much smaller than a 97.

I am a bit dense about the choke though. what do you mean by "clicks out on the choke"

Yeah I know it has a different carb,I guess I was trying to show you how much I had to lean it out to sort out the same problems your having.Of all the bikes I ever owned both street and dirt I always founds Suzuki's to be overly rich from the factory.

hey qwikz74 .... what mods do u have on ur bike if any ... i have an 00 also an need to clean up the jettin too... what ratio u mixin at also?

I am a bit dense about the choke though. what do you mean by "clicks out on the choke"

Some RM's have a choke knob that turnes. It clicks when you turn it. It just another adjustment on the carb.

pitts,

The choke adjuster is just to "clean up/fine tune" the slow circuit,at least thats how it was explained to me.

jonny,I have a Pro Circuit pipe,Pro Circuit "Nature Freindly" spark arrestor,Boyseen carbon dual stage reeds and a Twin Air filter. I run Honda HP2 at 32:1.

Zero smoke and zero carbon/spooge on my muffler and fender.Runs like a bat outta hell at every throttle position.

If there is no smoke or spooge, then what is lubing your engine. A four stroke would run better if it did'ent have to push so much oil around so run your car on 1 qt.

• Like 1

I am a guy with a 35 pilot, but I wouldn't use my jetting as a standard.

How hard is it to kick? I'll admit, it is stiff on mine, but I just assumed that is the way a 185/190 psi engine should feel. Mine is 1-3 kicks cold and first kick hot with throttle wide open. Also. it is snappy off idle as it should be.

I have a 35 pilot, 165 main (though it could be a bit lean) and am still working on a needle.

I am trying some different needles because it is still smoky in the mid throttle range.

you should be using a NOZG needle with a 45 pilot.....

you should be using a NOZG needle with a 45 pilot.....

I ended up trying the NOZG, but ended up using an NOZH I think (cause the guy I got it from had 2 of those)

not sure how this thread went from hard to kick to your jetting is wrong :excuseme:

Because odds are the jetting and/or needle is whats causing your bike to be hard to kick (start)

I'd just like to add that I've recently acquired a late 96 RM250 that I've rebuilt from top to bottom and this bike has given me a fit getting it jetted properly as well. It has a 98 PWK carb on it, that has been rebuilt with all new OEM Keihin parts. I pulled the power jet out and epoxied the hole shut and started with stock jetting and needle. It was horribly rich and fouled plugs quick. (this was with a 45 pilot and 162 main, N1E1 needle on 3rd slot) 

I now have a DDJ needle in it as suggested from the guys at carb parts warehouse and a 42 pilot. The bike still seems pretty rich down low but lean up top, however mine starts 1st or second kick everytime even though it is tough to kick but thats perfectly normal of any healthy 250 2T that I've ever been on!

I'm thinking of dropping to a 38 or 40 pilot and maybe even raising the clip on this needle. Why are these bikes so rich? my only mod is a FMF Fatty pipe and a freshly packed stock silencer.