Sign in to follow this  

2003 Rm Is This A Problem?

i recently bought a 2003 rm 250 and have heard that that year bike is a crappy year to have do you think its in my best interest to sell it and go down a year or up a year and if not tell me a little about the bike and some tips on keeping all the black goo from dripping all down my exhaust? and who makes an affordable 0-100 or so torque wrench? THANKS,PATCAP

The 2003 RM250 is a very good bike, do the scheduled maintenance and you'll be happy for a very long time. Newer is better, so if you can afford an '07 then go for it, but there's no reason to go to an older bike.

Any tool supplier can sell you a good 0-100 wrench. MAC, Cornwell and Snap-On to name a few. I personally own a Snap-On.

The black goo coming out the pipe has been discussed a thousand times all over ThumperTalk, so this makes #1,001. Your bike is basically running too rich. Consider dropping the carb needle one or two notches and taking your bike for a spin. If that doesn't do it, then it's time to lean out the main jet. Go one size at a time, it won't take much.

The 03 is a continuation of the 01 , and 02's. I have the 03, no problems.

Fork seals are great, they are kyb suspension on the 03 . I have changed one seal in 36 months of ownership.

Do your air filter maintenance, piston/ring replacement , and grease the bearings , and you should have lots of fun.

see ya

The 03 is the 1st year of the new engine and it rocks. The 04 got the Showa stuff but there is no problem with the 03. ride it like you stole it.

i have an 03 Rm250 also and have no real problems with it, except this stupid spark plug thing, but im looking into that, but before this i have had no problems, the past 3 years with this bike there have been no major problems

The 03 is a continuation of the 01 , and 02's. I have the 03, no problems.

Fork seals are great, they are kyb suspension on the 03 . I have changed one seal in 36 months of ownership.

Do your air filter maintenance, piston/ring replacement , and grease the bearings , and you should have lots of fun.

see ya

thanks i appreciate it,patcap

I bought a PT (Performance Tool) Torque wrench at PepBoys for like $18. Honestly, I think its a really nice one for the price. Its a click type too, not the needle one. I usually wouldn't buy tools from them but I was in a pinch and it has worked out great. They also have inch pound torque wrenches. http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/prod043.html#M198

I have an '03 and it is great. I made a few changes to make it into a killer offroad bike and couldn't be happier.

I bought a PT (Performance Tool) Torque wrench at PepBoys for like $18. Honestly, I think its a really nice one for the price. Its a click type too, not the needle one. I usually wouldn't buy tools from them but I was in a pinch and it has worked out great. They also have inch pound torque wrenches. http://www.mytoolstore.com/wilmar/prod043.html#M198

thanks for the info,patcap.