Sign in to follow this  

Scratching my head with the tank shrouds?

Why on earth would Honda use those plastic "rivets" to hold the tank shrouds on? Is there an easy way to take them off and can they be reused? I just want to tear all the palstics off for a good cleaning. Last night I was ready to cut them (the rivets) off and then thought you guys/gals may have some tips on removal. Thanks.

Squeeze the botom of the plastic rivet with a tool and it will get off. Yes they can be reused after that.

yeah they pop right out ive done this many times and they are still in great shape, just be careful to not pry them too hard as to where the plastic will bend and break although i sure they are a dime a dozen from honda

and as for why they are there, i would guess to add more support so they arent flopping around

• Like 1

They stay better than if they were bolted on,the vibration there is killer and can loosin bolts quickly...

They mostly use rivets so if you crash or dump the bike the plastics will just snap off instead of cracking them or tearing the hole

They mostly use rivets so if you crash or dump the bike the plastics will just snap off instead of cracking them or tearing the hole

they are plastic rivets for the tip of them but they are screwed into the gas tank, lol go figure.

As many times as Ive lay it down Ive never even scatched a shroud,I think the bars prevent it...

they are plastic rivets for the tip of them but they are screwed into the gas tank, lol go figure.

Well i know thats why the quads have them

Take the shrouds off completley it looks pretty cool. Well....I think it does:ride:

yeah they poop right out ive done this many times and they are still in great shape, just be careful to not pry them too hard as to where the plastic will bend and break although i sure they are a dime a dozen from honda

and as for why they are there, i would guess to add more support so they arent flopping around

Nothing is a dime a dozen from the dealer.:applause:

One of the main reasons I like the 230f is the air cooled engine. Fake radiator shrouds just look dorky and are completely useless. Too bad the stock tank is so ugly. I wish there were aftermarket options.

One of the main reasons I like the 230f is the air cooled engine. Fake radiator shrouds just look dorky and are completely useless. Too bad the stock tank is so ugly. I wish there were aftermarket options.
Here is one option:

P1000324.jpg

2008-Honda-CRF230Fa-small.jpg

I think I might like to try to mount a XR200R tank and do away with the stupid looking tank shrouds. They serve no purpose as there are no radiators.

Dwight

A little off topic,.... and has nothing to do with the plastic expanding rivets that secure the plastic shrouds.

I believe Honda went with the "fake" radiator shroud styling for two reasons. 1.) to update the looks of an aging lineup of bikes and 2.) the "fake" shrouds allow the graphics to stay put, and look nice alot longer. The old XR's while nice bikes, looked ragged in no time with the bubbling, peeling tank mounted graphics. IMO I like the "fake" shroud look better than the bare tank look of the old XR,.... especially after the XR has shed it's graphics.

Tech25: I don't understand. If graphics are mounted to shrouds or tank, what's the difference? They are both plastic. Wouldn't they wear evenly?

Tech25: I don't understand. If graphics are mounted to shrouds or tank, what's the difference? They are both plastic. Wouldn't they wear evenly?

On the XR200's, the graphics are applied to the tank itself. Since the graphics are located on the gas tank, the gas fumes will cause the "bubbling" effect.