Sign in to follow this  

Hot cam stage 2 question?

I have an 03 crf450 hot cams said with a stage 2 cam i can use stock rockers and stock springs. Is this true? and is it good? and do i need to adjust decomp with stage 2 cause i see that you need to with a hot cam stage one. thank you

Stage 2 hotcam uses all stock parts. As a general rule, you should double-check all your valve clearances, as well as the decomp, whenever you install a new cam. I prefer the Stage 1, as it adds torque and lessens the "hit" of the 03 engine....Stage 2 will add mid-range and top end, if that's what you are looking for...

I prefer the Stage 1, as it adds torque and lessens the "hit" of the 03 engine....Stage 2 will add mid-range and top end, if that's what you are looking for...

I just don't get this:excuseme: .....why do you guys want more low-end out of these bikes....I guess if you Trail ride or maybe SX/AX but for MX most stage 2 cams broaden the mid-upper and make the motor even better....and you really do not lose any bottom...

theDogger

I just don't get this:excuseme: .....why do you guys want more low-end out of these bikes....I guess if you Trail ride or maybe SX/AX but for MX most stage 2 cams broaden the mid-upper and make the motor even better....and you really do not lose any bottom...

theDogger

I agree. The Hondas are stump pullers from the factory. But if you consider how many people also gear their bikes down, you'll get a better idea of why people throw in Stage 1 cams.

If you guys have ever ridden an 03, you would understand what I'm talking about...on slippery surfaces, this thing is no fun when the power comes on...The Stage 1 smoothed the hit and that's why I like it. We are entitled to our own opinions and setup preferences...Are we not ?

If you guys have ever ridden an 03, you would understand what I'm talking about...on slippery surfaces, this thing is no fun when the power comes on...The Stage 1 smoothed the hit and that's why I like it. We are entitled to our own opinions and setup preferences...Are we not ?

For sure I was just wondering!:applause:

theDogger

I dropped a Stage 1 in after trying the 187, I like the HC1 better but I ride pretty low in the revs, and with a WB exhaust it free'd up the mid-top end enough that if needed I could rev it out. But thats just what I like:thumbsup: I've never tried a HC2 though, but maybe I should.

so your saying that i will get more bottom with stage 1 and more top with stage 2?

so your saying that i will get more bottom with stage 1 and more top with stage 2?

yes...I have the stage II and it still pulls like a tractor down low, but pull harder all the way through the rpms. :applause:

I have tried the stage 1 and run the stage2 with my 500 kit. Both have been run on the stock bore. Both worked good. On the mx track with the stock bore and head I liked the stage 1- good bottom hit from turn to turn. Stage 2 was more for open tracks which are not where I race. On my big bore it has too much bottom with a rhc head so i use the stage 2. It adds more top which is good because I run it geared to rev and the throttle is just on tap BRAAP!!

nice, then i will be installing a hot cam stage 2 in my crf cause i ride more open woods and fields and stuff and i was thinking about a JE 13:5 piston but i don't know what i will have to run race fuel, does any one have any input on that?

nice, then i will be installing a hot cam stage 2 in my crf cause i ride more open woods and fields and stuff and i was thinking about a JE 13:5 piston but i don't know what i will have to run race fuel, does any one have any input on that?

If you have good pump gas then there should not be a problem (91-93). To really get the full effect of the CAM you need the HC piston. It really makes the cams come alive...combine it with a pipe and good jetting get ready to hold on!

theDogger