Sign in to follow this  

Mis-shifting '05 YZ250?

I seem to be mis-shifting, especially when I try to gear down from 3rd to 2nd. I end up in neutral. I have tried changing the oil, using both 10W30 and specific use trans oil (Bel Ray). The problem persists. Is there something wrong with my transmission, or is it just because I am a noob and still suck at shifting? Is it common to overshift into neutral when looking for 2nd from 3rd?

On a related note, when refilling the oil, do you fill until oil leaks out of the oil check plug hole, or do you put in the 700ml? There seems to be a huge discrepancy - oil starts flowing out the oil check plug hole after about 400ml.

Thanks.

Seems to be a common problem with the YZ250... Its called catching a "false neutral" and its a PITA.

Its even more common on 125's and somewhat rare on 250's, however the YZ250 seems to have a problem with it.

On the YZ it can happen between 2-3 and even 3-4. Its actually getting cought up between the two gear selections, once its in a false neutral it wont fall into its selected gear untill the engine RPM's settle back down and the dogs can slide into thier groove.

Its caused by two things....

1. A lazy or half azz shift.

2. A lazy or half azz shift with a slightly worn tranny dogs.

The problem is the more you cause problem #1 to happen the more it wears the dogs and then it starts to become problem #2.

I started to have the problem on mine and have been focusing on more complete shift lever movements. Its not that I am shifting slower, but I am shifting more complete (like its intended to be done). Since I've been praticing this I havent been getting the false neutrals I once was getting. I guess I changed my habbits before the Dogs got too worn. But, I been in my trans on this bike twice now so once more wouldnt have killed me anyway.

One member reported that the Shell Rotella 5-40 (or 30 or something) synthetic diesel/fleet engine oil totally cured his false neutral problem. I am still running the 15-40 dino oil rotella and have yet to try the sythetic but that is on my list of things to try out very soon.

By the way... if the case says 700ml, then put in 700ml. Unless you have some crazy clutch system or something taking up access space in your engine.

Jethro, I agree with everything upallnight said. Dont be afraid to experiment with different oil's. My 06 really appears to like the hinson oil.

I am sure you checked this as well, but I will mention it anyway. Many times shift levers get loose on the splines. The extra play in the lever can cause shifting issues to happen.

I also have a YZ250 '05, but I only very rarely get the false neutral. I run the Shell Rotella 15-40w oil in my bike with the rekluse auto clutch. Check your manual though I'm 100% positive it is 750cc's for the oil amount.

Little Jeff

So you guys are running 10w40 I have been running type F auto trans fluid.I have been having a problem with the bike not wanting to down shift after it has been held w/o in 5th for a extended amount of time I have to come to a stop and let it set and idle for a few seconds befor it wants to down shift maybe I will give the motor oil a try.Can it be any 10/40?

So you guys are running 10w40 I have been running type F auto trans fluid.I have been having a problem with the bike not wanting to down shift after it has been held w/o in 5th for a extended amount of time I have to come to a stop and let it set and idle for a few seconds befor it wants to down shift maybe I will give the motor oil a try.Can it be any 10/40?

Sounds like you have something floating around in the trans getting jammed in the shift drum. I had the same thing happen a while back... that something floating around happen to be a tooth from 4th gear. I hope thats not the case with yours.

Seems to be a common problem with the YZ250... Its called catching a "false neutral" and its a PITA.

It happens to me all the time on my '06 250, it drives me nuts, Ive tried many different oils and nothing seems to help.

Just curious... what do you guys think of the Honda HP 80W/85W stuff? Lots of guys around here swear by it.

Not familiar with the Honda stuff; I use the Bel-Ray 80W Tranny oil; but make sure that Honda HP oil is transmission oil 80W and not hypoid 80W (used in differentials on shaft drive bikes etc). They are vastly different (the 80W hypoid is like molassis and the 80W transmission oil like thin 30W motor oil).

Sounds like you have something floating around in the trans getting jammed in the shift drum. I had the same thing happen a while back... that something floating around happen to be a tooth from 4th gear. I hope thats not the case with yours.

I hope not I just rebuilt the bottom end last month and had the machanic inspect the gears and they looked fine but I have been beating the step child out of it.Lets hope thats not the problem or I am going to have to do the WR mod that I have been thinking about Daily..:applause:

If the gear shifter feels weird or stiff when it gets stuck in 5th gear and wont downshift then its most likely shift drum related (or something jamming the drum) and you might need to split the cases to check.

If the gear shifter feels weird or stiff when it gets stuck in 5th gear and wont downshift then its most likely shift drum related (or something jamming the drum) and you might need to split the cases to check.

That what it is doing you can mash the shifter and it wont down shift Until you let it idle down .

Yeah... that doesnt sound good. Thats what mine was basicly doing when I busted a tooth off of 4th gear. 4th gear still worked fine even though it was missing a tooth.

I been through this twice already on the same bike. I have two busted gears sitting on my shelf as show n tell.