Sign in to follow this  

Joined a Gym, Now What

I joined a gym to try and help out with my cardio and endurance. So what sort of stuff should I be doing? I know I want to take the cycling class. After that not really sure. Should I do the circuit training on the machines, free weights, other machines? Any tips would be great, I plan on hitting it hard for the next 30 days to see what happens on the track.

Most gyms will welcome new members with a free trainer consultation. Tell them you race, where you think you need to work on ( if any areas or more sore than others after riding ). They can give good advice on a training program.

Most gyms will welcome new members with a free trainer consultation. Tell them you race, where you think you need to work on ( if any areas or more sore than others after riding ). They can give good advice on a training program.

after you check out the trainers, check out the chicks!!!!!

after you check out the trainers, check out the chicks!!!!!

Yeah I remember when I was still in highschool and almost lived at my local gym it was like the garden of Eden. But I joined back about 6 months ago and its like the damn Sahara desert now. Dont know what the hell happened.

This is basically what I did after having back surgery to get back into shape. If the gym has a good in house training advisor, he/she can help a lot.

Take advantage of any classes they have. Sign up for the kickboxing class if they have one, it's pretty tough. Do like others said above and make sure you break some serious sweat. Don't expect miracles in 30 days.

I don't expect any miracles in 30 days, but I would like to see an improvement. If I like what I see after 30 days I will commit. just didn't want to put money out if I wasn't going to commit.

Been doing the spin class the last couple of days and some light upper body work on the circuit machines. Meet with a trainer in a couple of days to see what they recommend.

A good spinning class will get your heart rate up there to race speeds. Do your best to keep it there for the full hour. Our instructor usually has a bunch of sitting/standing moves thrown in while pedaling which is great for on bike muscle memory.

I do a good bit of elliptical training at very high intensity levels too. My muscle mass/strength is rarely an issue, so I work on endurance and cardio mostly. I do a few reps to keep toned up but no bulk building sets. I do a lot of stretching after I am warmed up.

stretching can help in removing lactic acid(the burning) and the day after pain, too. The looser you arr when you're riding and you crash, the less chance you have of getting hurt. joining a gym is a great step towards fitness not only in riding but in life too!

I ride two days a week, and the gym five.

Each day at the gym I run. I fluctuate what I do based on a how I feel. Any where from 30 minutes and very high intensity, up to 60 minutes at a lower pace. The lower pace keeps your base cardio up, and the high intensity is good since that's what most of my motos are like.

I try and work my center core each day at the gym, but that doesn't always happen based on time. Regardless, I work either upper or lower body every other time (never doing the same portion two days in a row). And low weight with high reps is working great for me. I don't really "look" any bigger, but my ability to hang on to my 450 (and only being 5'7"/140lbs) has increased significantly, so I consider it successful.

Been on that schedule for 3+ months now (although I always rode before, just never took the "off the bike" stuff seriously) and have noticed a MAJOR difference.

Also, if you really want to benefit, you really need give up alcohol and pop. Drink TONS of water all day, every day. I also eat a lot of chicken, rice, pasta, pork, little bit of red meat, yogurt, apples, bagels, bananas, etc.

I can ride hard now for 30+ minutes, and not feel like I am going to die! :applause: