Getting REALLY interested in a 525 EXC - coming from a DRZ400s

Hey all - thanks for any advice-

I recently rode a 525EXC up in Death Valley. I felt the thing was nice, smooth, more power, and even on the street pretty stable. (It did have a stabilizer tho) Also recently rode a CR500 in the Dez w/ a stabilizer. Both bikes were worlds away in suspension compared to mine, even with the Gold Valves in the forks of my DRZ.

Both bikes were at least 40 lbs lighter than my trusty drz, and plenty of power to spare. I know my DRZ isn't the fastest, but is straight up reliable. Here's my questions:

-I do a lot of riding in rocky single track, or just plain rocky stuff. Think Moab. Drop offs, sand, rocks, big, small, more sand, some street to connect the trails. I can pretty much ride the DRZ thru anything, just gotta slow down. Will the EXC be so much better a performer here? Is the 525 too much or should I get a 450? It seemed nice, linear power.

-Will the 525 hold up to the abuse? I got 6k miles on the drz and - they aren't friendly miles! Some big hits, an occasional dump.

-Can the 525 be set up for longer trips? Some light dirt bagz, etc?

-I'm hoping to get a feel of those who made the transition - was it worth the extra $5k?

-Anything you regret 'bout buying the 525 other than the coin?

I have a KTM 950, so I know sort of what to expect w/regard to maintenance head aches, but also the performance and good parts. (Heck - the suspensino on this bike ridden over the same trails as the drz showed me how much off my drz was!)

Thanks!

cb:ride:

I don't regret the move from my DRZe to my current 450. Everything about the KTM is better. If you've got the coin get the 525 though, they are no heavier and have more grunt. I would have bought one but the price on my 450 was too good to pass on, and I just love it!

I went from a DRZ to a 525 Exc. All of my riding is off road in Northern CA. Alot of tight single track with the occasional places to really open it up. I think the bike is perfect. I weigh about 280lbs and power has never been an issue. It just pulls and pulls and pulls even on the really steep stuff. I only have about 500 miles on mine so I can not say anything about how it will hold up in the long run. I have not had one problem with mine. If I had to do it over again, I would get the same bike.

Great bikes, absolutely nothing to fear on any level about owning a KTM, i have the 450 and love it. I wouldn't be worried about the street side of things, i Know there street legal KTM's are new, but here in Europe they have been on the street for years and i have seen them too, so they are more than capable on the street as well as the dirt :applause:

If you have the money and you are comfortable with the extra power then it really is a no brainer, get the orange beast either 525 or 450 will be great for open riding

I have an 02 520 EXC which is the predecessor to the 525. I also had a dRZs model. The KTM is very reliable. Mine is plated and has been on many dual sport rides and long cross country events such as the Mystery 250 in Nevada. KTM makes a very fine product. :applause:

I own both a '03 DRZ 400s with all the popular mods (race Tech suspension, carb, 3x3 air box, pro tapers, fmf pipe, big gas tank etc etc) and an "07 525EXC with very few mods (jetting, stabilizer, seat, exhaust mod) I once thought my DRZ was awesome but now the trusty old DRZ is officially antiquated. I never knew a bike could be so good. wanna buy my old DRZ?

A lot of people like the 525 over the 450, and most that I ride with have the 525. We have found the top end speed on both bikes are about the same. When traction is good the 525 does have an advantage with it's torque. But I prefer the 450 because when ever traction is questionable (most of what we ride) the 450 has the advantage and IMO the 450 is a little more forgiving and less tiring to ride. I would buy a 450 again unless I was spending a lot more time riding open sand where the torquer 525 just cooks.

The KTM is made for abuse if you judge by some friends if mine, one that crashes more then any person I have ever seen. This same person takes his 04 450EXC to the dealer once a year to be seviced...! Another friend that has close to 12.000 miles on his 520 and only services the bike...when ever...!

I call that abuse in the worse way.

I have no worries about prepping my bike for a long weekend ride and servicing it when I return home.

I own a DRZ400S and an 07 525EXC. I have about a thousand miles on the KTM. Here are my thoughts on a couple of your questions.

- KTM a better performer in rocky stuff: Yes, due to lighter weight and much better suspension.

- Hold up to abuse: Don't really know, others with way more miles on their KTMs could speak to this.

- Longer trips: I got a Guts comfort seat. Nice produt and essential for longer trips. Bigger tank too.

- Worth the money: So far I would say yes.

- Regrets: In certain riding conditions, the 525 feels 'bulky' or 'heavy' to me and I get really fatigued muscling the bike around. Might be due to my (lack of) technique, but I sometimes wish that I would have considered something smaller like the 250 xcf-w. Having a license plate is a big advantage though.