Sign in to follow this  

07 crf 250 starting issue

hey whats up i got a 07 crf about 3 weeks ago, broke it in slowly and for atleast 15 miles and i did get in it a bit but not hard at all because i heard you had to for the rings to seed correctly or something. Anyways its my first 4 stroke, if i let it set for 2 to 5 days should i have to kick it about 10 or 15 times before it fires up? even when it starts it still wants to die for the first 15 seconds with the choke on. is it just bad gas in the carb? is this normal for 4 strokes? it used to kick right over first or second.. i just hope my valves aren't ALREADY going bad... i race and i ride it pretty hard but still not as hard as all my old 2 smokes... any help would be awsome thanks.. also how hard is it to take out the backfire screan or something i heard about? thanks

-nick

I feel your frustration man. Same thing on my wifes new 06 250F . the thing is still hard starting in my mind when cold and I just cant put my finger on the issue, 48 hours ( bike hours) , I have installed Titanium intake valves, heavy springs , no prob, Clearances perfect, Carb apart twice and completely cleaned out, new plug, all multimeter checks done on electrical, the one thing I found is the pilot screw is ultra - ultra sensitive.

maybe u can try this: turn the throttle about 3-4 times to prime the carb with the ap sqirt. Then kick the kick starter slowly a couple of times, not intending to start it up. Next kick the kick starter up to the point u feel theres resistence, this is the compression stroke of the dirtbike that's giving u the resistence, i then move like 1 inch from this tension spot and then bring back the kick starter, the point of this is to try to get the piston at TDC as well as to get all 4 valves closed...Next i kick the kickstarter like i would on a 2 stroke and it fires up in 1-3 kicks.. (starting it cold)....proper way to fire up a cold bike

I agree that a valve clearance should be checked,Its pretty easy once you get past the intimidation,also Ive found you should always try the intial start with no choke,because once you flood its not pretty.

damn...i have an 06' crf 250R replaced the sparkplug today....thinkin thats why it wont start, and i cant get mine to start at all, and its only 2 months old

My 07' is sitting in the garage with only three rides on it and it's nothing but a big paper weight. I feel for ya' .

Will

i was talking to my friend today who owns a shop about possibly getting a crf250r and he said he sees honda in his shop 10-1 over yamaha. and the main issue is the valves going bad a lot of the time.

Bunch of bull....... You don't know what the heck these guys did to them. Maybe they didn't change the oil right after break in. Maybe they rev the crap out of it doing burn outs all the time like a 2 smoke. I see way more hondas at the track then anything else so of course there is going to be more of them in the shop. Thats why dealers are trying to push their yamaha's. The crf's sell themselves.

everyone knows crf250's dont last. just look at how small the head in compared to other 250 four strokes. i've had one and it only lasted 6 months.

everyone knows crf250's dont last. just look at how small the head in compared to other 250 four strokes. i've had one and it only lasted 6 months.

wat r u talking about?

hey whats up i got a 07 crf about 3 weeks ago, broke it in slowly and for atleast 15 miles and i did get in it a bit but not hard at all because i heard you had to for the rings to seed correctly or something. Anyways its my first 4 stroke, if i let it set for 2 to 5 days should i have to kick it about 10 or 15 times before it fires up? even when it starts it still wants to die for the first 15 seconds with the choke on. is it just bad gas in the carb? is this normal for 4 strokes? it used to kick right over first or second.. i just hope my valves aren't ALREADY going bad... i race and i ride it pretty hard but still not as hard as all my old 2 smokes... any help would be awsome thanks.. also how hard is it to take out the backfire screan or something i heard about? thanks

-nick

Mate I had the same thing with my 07 and me stumped for a while too even took the thing back to the dealer! but I cured the hard starting by reading the manual again over and over what i found is if the temp is hot around 35C you don't need the choke but maybe need to use the hot start. and I was advised to drain the carby bowl if it has sat for maore than 3 days.

If it didn't start from cold after 5 -7 kicks to do the flooded engine proceedure and start it with the hotstart lever pulled. Since I have done this the bike has gotten easier to start each time, even started it by hand while it was on the stand. hope this helps and saves you some coin.:applause:

why does everyone jump on the honda hating bandwagon? Quit repeating what you "HEARD" and go try one, i seriously doubt everyone that chimes in about honda valve problems has even owned one. I have had 4 different CRF's and none of them had any problems. Youre buying a race bike, expect there to be maintence, stay on top of it and you will be satisfied. Just keep the ignorant, uneducated comments to yourself.

Anyways back to the topic, what temperature is it where youre at? These bikes can be a pain to start when its cold out. Just crack the throttle open a few times and go slow through the stroke on the kick starter 2-3 times. Then give it a nice full kick, should start up in 2-3 kicks. Good luck man.