Sign in to follow this  

Rider Weight - Whats your weight

Hey all,

I am now looking to get back into riding bikes and need to know what the average rider weight is for the CRF250X/R.

I rode an 03 crf450 for a season then did the worst thing ever - sell it. I am now longing the torque of the thumper and short shifting it. I dream of hill climbs.

I am 206 lbs and 6.0 ft, is this bike going to be too small? especially with the added weight of the X model ?

Will I be in for more service due to keeping it in the higher RPMS?

Will I be able to raise the frontend with only the twist of the wrist?

As a new family guy I am leaning more to trails / X model, the electric start sounds like a luxury I would enjoy.

right now I am thinking the 450X is more my riding style but the lighter 205X may be fun overall when hitting the trails.

fed007

The 250X has relatively the same suspension as the 450X. There is a small weight difference in the bikes. The 250X, properly modified, would easily take a gent of your size to have a good time. If you are riding hares, trails, single track... go with the 250.

For those wide open areas desert, plains etc go with the 450.

JMHO...

Van

• Like 1

i am 190lbs w/o gear, my 05 in completly stock and has gotten me up every hill without any problems. I ride Carnegie every weekend. I do have to keep it high in the RPM's but never have it in the limiter. I came off a xr400 and this little bike rides like a dream.

I am 185-190lbs and love my 250. I ride techy woods with some wide open ripping. With mods my little 250 longs for wide open straights.:applause: If you're worried about lifting the front wheel get a lighter flywheel.

I'm 6,2" and 180-185 pounds, and this bike has no trouble blasting me around or up any hill. But you may need heavyer springs, as the stock ones are soft. I have my compression cranked right up so I don't bottom out jumping.

The bike will get you anywhere you can go and is awsome in the tight stuff. Coming off a 450 you are going to miss all the torque.

I have ridden the 450R a bit in outdoor and arenacross type tracks (BTW, I am not a racer of any kind, just a fun rider). The 450 just doesn't have the balance of the 250; power, torque and engine weight all seem to conspire against me on them but then again I am only 160 lbs dripping wet. The 250R and X are just the opposite, nice and balanced. And I pretty much defy the 450 to beat the 250 in tight woods all things being equal otherwise. In the sand dunes and desert, 450 (or better yet, 650R- I owned one) becomes a no brainer. It's all about you and where you ride.

I'm 5'10" and 180 in all my gear.. The 250 is an eaiser bike to ride fast than the 450 . I have had both and am faster in the woodson the 250.

Hey all,

I am now looking to get back into riding bikes and need to know what the average rider weight is for the CRF250X/R.

I rode an 03 crf450 for a season then did the worst thing ever - sell it. I am now longing the torque of the thumper and short shifting it. I dream of hill climbs.

I am 206 lbs and 6.0 ft, is this bike going to be too small? especially with the added weight of the X model ?

Will I be in for more service due to keeping it in the higher RPMS?

Will I be able to raise the frontend with only the twist of the wrist?

As a new family guy I am leaning more to trails / X model, the electric start sounds like a luxury I would enjoy.

right now I am thinking the 450X is more my riding style but the lighter 205X may be fun overall when hitting the trails.

fed007

I have both bikes your talking about. I'm 230 lbs., and I can tell you the 250X took me up about any hill I ever tried to climb. With that said, the 450X is so much nicer if you as me (remember I have both bikes). The power on the 450X will save your ass way more then the 250X. I can't tell you how many times I hammered on the throttle to pull me out of what was going to be a crash, the 250X would have never saved me. I heard guys talk about how heavy the 450X is over the 250X. Some say riding you can tell big time. I'm 44 years old, fat and weak. I can't see a difference in the weight when riding. The springs in the 450X are also heavier then the 250X. The 250X is set-up more for someone 160 lbs. For the money buy the 450X and you will be so much happier in the long run. Also get the X over the R. As you get older you will be happy you have the e-start. I can't tell you how many time I have rode with guys that have kick starts only and they always say they wish they got the e-start. If you're racing then I can see getting the R, if not the X is the only way to go if you ask me.

Ride safe and have fun!

Old-Man

• Like 1

what is the diff in power between the 400 and your 250x, i am considering buying one or the other. i have heard they are similar in overall power?

what is the diff in power between the 400 and your 250x, i am considering buying one or the other. i have heard they are similar in overall power?

I couldn't tell you the difference between those two bikes. I have never rode a 400. If your talking the 450X and the 250X it's night and day if the bikes are stock.

I have a XR650, WR 450 & a CRF250X, and to be honest the CRF is the best all-rounder. The CRF will do every thing the others will (except flat line speed), but is much easyer to ride.

I'm 240lbs, 6'2''.

well, i'm the lightest doofus here

i'm 15 and i weigh 135-140 naked on a scale not to mention i'm 5'11'' but i can bench press 150, so i'm no weakling.

That being said the 250x is amazing my dad originally bought it to be "his" and now its "mine":thumbsup: my dads 48 and 245 pounds and it carries him pretty darn well (he should stiffen the suspension but he doesn't want to spend the $$$) the only thing i would change is the jetting so i can get the good bottom end punch that is oh so fun to have. other than that the exhaust and all the other goodies are perfect or close to it. It'd be hard for me to say i'd want power anywhere else on the rpm range other than maybe some more "instant" response (i like wheelies) although it'll still scare me dad half to death when he hits the throttle mid range on a slight hill and almost flips over. all we've done is put a quickshot on it and a boyosen hi flo whater pump cover

good stuff good stuff, but if ur in the open fields and desert riding the 250x doesn't have anything on the big bore bikes like the 450 or even better the xr650r i think the 250x would be perfect for what you are looking for

hope i helped

-jason

Yea i'm 15 also and I got this bike after totaling my KX250F, it had more power, but i love this bike all around. I can keep up with the MX bikes and beat them in the trails.

I have the 250 my buddies have the 450's at the poker run on the weekend.. one loop and they were exhausted, done... I was ready for another loop...

Coincidence??

Though they did pull away on the open beach areas, but I ride like a wuss on those big rocks!

I've ridden both the 450X and 250X (which I own) back to back. For woods, single track, the 250 is the way to go (I weigh 200). It will loft the front wheel in the right conditions (you need to have it jetted right to eliminate bog when cracking the throttle) but not like the 450. You will get less tired on the 250. If you do a lot of hill climbing the 250 will take more skill, and if you climb on soft terrain, you will wish for the 450. You will rev it more, but thats half the fun. I have no problem keeping up with my friend on a KTM 525 on most trails - only when its wide open does he have a advantage.

160 dry - 180 with all my gear and full of water.

My 250X w/stiffer springs (and revalved) and a steering Damper is the sweetest thing I have ridden (And I have ridden a few bikes) :applause:

The thing rips!

I ride with nothing but 450's around me and I can't ever think of a time I wish I was on a bigger bike. Open Desert/tight trails - dosn't matter. But I sure do get a lot of comments from the guys on 450's asking about MY bike and asking to try it.

And after 60 to 70 miles of riding, I'm by myself cause everyone else is spent from having to muscle there 450's/525's.

Last week at Ballinger here in CA, half of our group on 450's quit after the first loop cause they were pooped after only 30 mi.

2 cents for your pocket -