Sign in to follow this  

Eddieville 6-hour March 11

I had a great time riding there. I only started riding back in December of 06 but had a blast never the less. I was having some trouble with the deep rutted corners and ended up with a minor fracture on my left ankle, or level 3 sprain (doc couldn't decide, waiting on official results) which ended my day about an hour before the finish. Teammate had to finish the last 3 laps.

What I want to know, what do you IM do to keep up the energy? I was getting exhausted and couldn't seem to eat enough while I was resting. How do you guys do it with just small breaks if any?

I had a great time riding there. I only started riding back in December of 06 but had a blast never the less. I was having some trouble with the deep rutted corners and ended up with a minor fracture on my left ankle, or level 3 sprain (doc couldn't decide, waiting on official results) which ended my day about an hour before the finish. Teammate had to finish the last 3 laps.

What I want to know, what do you IM do to keep up the energy? I was getting exhausted and couldn't seem to eat enough while I was resting. How do you guys do it with just small breaks if any?

Sorry to hear about your ankle :applause: Hopefully it gets healed quickly.

Keep in mind that as a new rider you are most likely expending about twice the energy as an experienced rider. As you get more seat time things you are now using major muscle groups to control will be handled by body position, balance, and fine motor skills without you even thinking about it. Also, as you get experience you will make less mistakes that require correction.

Being 89sx's teammate, I got the joy of doing those last 3 laps... well they were not so much as laps, but more like a slow ride through the country side due to pesky hamstring cramps and overall fatigue during that last hour. A third person on the team would have made life a little easier.

I have ALOT of respect for the guys that ironman that race!

But alas, I also had a blast!

Got to put some new suspension components through the paces and was extremely happy with the improvements it made to the handling of the bike.

Im excited to try some events at starvation ridge this year.

Do they post the results/lap times of the race on their website? I cant seem to find them.

Also, and I might just be daft here... but I cant seem to find the pictures of the event on that link that was posted, the most recent event they show is the sweetheart GP in feb. or have they not put them up yet?

Thanks to the crew at Eddieville that put together the event, and kept it running smoothly the whole day.

Ditto what yz426 said. More saddle time and more on top of that will help. Did the IM last year and had a blast. Was tuckered out last 1 hour or so of race since I tried to keep up with my friends, who were teaming by the way.

If your ankle is healed up by April 20th, you should head back over there for the playday weekend. This definitely helps as you can ride for fun, watch others in the ruts and enjoy yourself. Think I found myself riding faster than a race situation.

I am going back over for that weekend and bringing my son to ride on the kid track. YZ426F...you interested?

Was tuckered out last 1 hour or so...

I am going back over for that weekend and bringing my son to ride on the kid track. YZ426F...you interested?

Yeah, that last hour I was doing nothing more than getting in laps, there was no racing involved...team riders were blowing by me and I was just trying to stay out of their way!

I'd like to go over with you that weekend but the Grizzly HS is that weekend down at Riverdale. It's an ORP event.

I'd like to go over with you that weekend but the Grizzly HS is that weekend down at Riverdale. It's an ORP event.

oh yeah...hmmm, track to myself since I know quite a few people are doing the NMA series

"mmm, delicious" ~Homer Simpson c.1991 or so

Irish, they said the pic's would probably be on their site Thursday or so. I would expect that the results would take a couple of days to make it to the OTBG website also.

YZ426F, how many laps did you finish with? I rode a 2 man team and wished it were 3. I am soooo out of shape.

wow, this weekend reminded me just how out of shape i'm in too. the big sweeping corners were a blast, as was the gated start.

my team suffered two flat tires even at 15psi.

it was actually fun riding with a flat tire trying to see how many people I could pass. : ) I got one or two.

YZ426F, how many laps did you finish with? I rode a 2 man team and wished it were 3. I am soooo out of shape.

I got in 17 laps. Made an executive decision coming through the checkpoint at 5:45 to not start another lap as my blistered hands had been on fire for the last five laps. Funny thing is that I wasn't all that tired (I think because my hands kept me riding pretty mellow). Oh, well, live and learn...next time I'll wear gloves with some palm padding. I guess that's what happens when you have a desk job...:applause:

I got in 17 laps. Made an executive decision coming through the checkpoint at 5:45 to not start another lap as my blistered hands had been on fire for the last five laps. Funny thing is that I wasn't all that tired (I think because my hands kept me riding pretty mellow). Oh, well, live and learn...next time I'll wear gloves with some palm padding. I guess that's what happens when you have a desk job...:applause:

Two words.....baby powder. Works wonders. A hefty dosage in each glove. Use it in my jersey and, ahem...pants (no monkey here!) Also, swap for fresh gloves half way through race helps too.

So...you gonna tackle the next big race....12 hr? Bailed on it last year but since I missed the 6hr, need some personal redemption here.

Epic conditions! Mother nature smiled on us all!Next time I will be getting another rider for our team, two just didnt give long enough breaks. I dont know how you guys IM these races.My final 3 laps went by in slow motion, I was so happy to see the finish.I have blisters across both palms and had to change gloves 3 times during the race becouse of blood.I had alot of fun!8th open ex woohoo!

Results are up at the otbg website in the results section. they are uncorrected for laps, but most of the lap times are correct.

I have nothing but respect for the guys that Ironmaned this one. John Beal lapped me a couple times while I was on the track with a 3 man (well 1 man and 2 boys )team. The kid on the Husky 450 with the big IMS tank never seemed to slow down either.

Ditto what yz426 said. More saddle time and more on top of that will help. Did the IM last year and had a blast. Was tuckered out last 1 hour or so of race since I tried to keep up with my friends, who were teaming by the way.

If your ankle is healed up by April 20th, you should head back over there for the playday weekend. This definitely helps as you can ride for fun, watch others in the ruts and enjoy yourself. Think I found myself riding faster than a race situation.

I'm trying to get as much seat time as I can. I'm hoping it'll heal up fast, I'll just have to be patient and not push it so that it can heal fully and not reinjure it. I was wearing Tech 10's and I do remember feeling quite a bit of force on my ankle. I'm hoping they prevented an even more serious injury. I'm looking forward to a playday at the track there and improving my rutted cornering ability.

I've never really been in a race situation before, so I found out how much roost hurts and that I need to get myself a chest protector. Or just go fast enough where I don't have to worry about it :applause:

I was wearing Tech 10's and I do remember feeling quite a bit of force on my ankle. I'm hoping they prevented an even more serious injury.

I've never really been in a race situation before, so I found out how much roost hurts and that I need to get myself a chest protector.

Those Tech-10's may very well have just paid for themselves :applause:

I won't even trail ride without my chest protector...one look at the shoulder plates and you'll know why. :lol:

This was my first race ever. All I can say is if you did this thing IM you are a man.....

I am going to mount an orange triangle on the rear fender next time, or name the team the speedbumps.... Definately a humbling experience. Not that I didn't pass anyone, there were a few people who broke down on the side, and saw one guy on the track pull off to take a leak (he promptly passed me back about 1/2 lap later)

Good time though, thanks to all of those who said "hang in there":thumbsup:

RM

This was my first race ever.

I am going to mount an orange triangle on the rear fender next time, or name the team the speedbumps.... Definately a humbling experience.

The important thing is that you were out on the track competing :applause::lol: