Sign in to follow this  

Time to pull the trigger

I've been trying to search & research on what to do about getting the RG3 top triple clamp only or get the entire set with the 22mm offset. i've been reading on the things people have been posting the last couple of months.

i've been getting mixed reviews on that with the 22mm you'll get great turning like the rm's but will get twitchy on straights. for all those with experience what's your take? this is my one problem ( if it's true ) on what to do.

i've come to the conclusion that i want the rg3 rubber mount top triple clamp & want to add the the evo pro tapers regardless. but if raising the tubes in the clamps will do about the same thing thing i guess i'll just get the rg3 top clamp. any info to help solidify my purchase thanks.

I've been trying to search & research on what to do about getting the RG3 top triple clamp only or get the entire set with the 22mm offset. i've been reading on the things people have been posting the last couple of months.

i've been getting mixed reviews on that with the 22mm you'll get great turning like the rm's but will get twitchy on straights. for all those with experience what's your take? this is my one problem ( if it's true ) on what to do.

i've come to the conclusion that i want the rg3 rubber mount top triple clamp & want to add the the evo pro tapers regardless. but if raising the tubes in the clamps will do about the same thing thing i guess i'll just get the rg3 top clamp. any info to help solidify my purchase thanks.

I was on the same fence as you.

I ended up getting the rg3 top clamp only and slid the fork tubes up. I tried different fork heights and found that 5mm works the best for me. I would get head shake pretty bad when I tried 10mm, and less than 5 didn't seem to make much of a difference in handling.

After my latest fork revalve the handling is even better. I got a chance to really put it to the test last weekend at the quicksilver enduro and was loving it.

My advise is instead of spending $600 on the offset ones, spend less on the top only and put the difference towards a suspension revalve, and be sure to set the sag on the shock- that has a big effect on the front end geometry.

If it doesn't seem like it does enough for you, you could sell the top clamp for most of what it costs and buy the offset ones. A better alternative than dropping $600 on the offset ones and finding you're still having troubles.

I bought the offset models, 22.5 for my yz 250. RG3. Either way you go, the rg3 top clamp rules. Its overpriced, but damn near worth it. I hate to say that as Ride Engineering makes a great clamp set for several hundred less. RG3 has a lady that answers the phone that knows what is going on. She knows more about suspension, handling and yz 250's than ANYONE I have ever had on the phone at Pro Circuit....this includes...well, nevermind.

700.00 sounds like a lot, and it is, but still, its less than a 4 stroke exhaust.

I love the offset change. Raising the forks does give a sensation of quicker steering, but you lose the stability that this bike is so good at.

22.5 offset lets you keep the stability AND make the steering quick. Its a real adjustment period learning the bike again. Initially the bike feels less stable, but after a few minutes of riding this feeling goes away. A person learns to trust the front end more.

Team Yamaha has ran the 22.5 offset since at least 2003. After riding the bike set up as such, its easy to see why. Front tire selection also becomes much less important. Basically anything except a Brigestone 401a will work just fine.

With the offset clamps you can still raise the forks 10mm if you want to. The difference will be keeping the stability.

Dirt riders latest issue show a pro rider spending 5800.00 to keep his rmz 450 running for 86 hours. Tell your wife your going to buy one of them if she does not let you get the clamps and a revalve.......it worked for me!

So if I get just the top clamp can you tell me what the benefits are?

Buying the rg3 top clamp gets you a beautiful piece of work. It also rubber mounts the handlebars and reduces vibration to nothing.

I have a set of the 22mm offset coming my way. I spoke with Armondo at RG3 and he came across as a straight shooter. I am confident this will be a great set-up!

Mark

Mark, that is how Rg3 treated me as well. I was impressed with the product knowledge of everyone I spoke to at the company.

Thanks for everyones input! my biggest worry was losing straight line stability. but that does not seem like the case with the 22mm offset. i have my fork tubes set 5mm up also. i tried 8 but felt way twitchy. even with the 5 mm going in and out of a 180 degree turn on hard throttle the front end would come up & i'd loose all control. the bike also felt like it wanted to push on off camber turns and i'm running D 756's front and back. maybe a revalve would fix this i don't know? but once a revalve is done will it work in a range of track conditions? i ride at about 4 different tracks and none are the same.

I dont believe we all ride this bike the same. Some love the yz turning. Others, like you and I , notice it pushing. In my case I do not blame the bike. Due to MANY knee operations I dont move my body around like I am supposed to. Much easier to modify the bike than to fix those damn things again.

The 22.5's are perfect for folks like us. You will be shocked at the improved turning. If there is any drawback to the mod it is this. My bike became much more sensitive to rear shock set-up with the different clamps. It will oversteer if rear sag is not in the area that upallnight specifies. If I remember correctly this was 101-102 mm. Any more and nothing bad happens, but its not as accurate as I would like. Less makes the bike REALLY steer.

If I were in charge of yz development, I would spec the 22.5 offset from the factory.