Kick start conversion for TTR 250?

Just wondering if anyone has done the kick start conversion to their TTR

250? We have an 03 that I keep having to charge the battery on :applause: and I

am thinking about adding a kicker. Especially with the lack of use the bike gets but when you need it, it would be nice to just be able to boot it.

It might be nice to just take the battery out also to save the extra weight.

Anybody do this?

Sam

Just wondering if anyone has done the kick start conversion to their TTR

250? We have an 03 that I keep having to charge the battery on :applause: and I

am thinking about adding a kicker. Especially with the lack of use the bike gets but when you need it, it would be nice to just be able to boot it.

It might be nice to just take the battery out also to save the extra weight.

Anybody do this?

Sam

yamaha has the kits its like 200 - 300 bucks kinda a lot but its would be so easy to start with a kick when jetted right as its takes 1 push of the e and it fires right up.

I did the conversion after I had a dead bike 20 miles up a mountain in a ravine and had to be pulled out to a place that I could bump start. If you can change a clutch you can put the kit on. The instructions are in Japanese but they are fairly well illustrated. I think i paid $310 for mine from Ron Ayers online. Don't hook up the decompression, you don't need it, just creates more crap on your bars and more crap to get broken when you crash. I have a few photos...

PICT0043.jpg

THe only issue I have had is one pair of boots likes to hook a little on the kick lever. I am glad I did it, no regrets.

Paul

My wife was riding the bike one day and tipped over and almost ran out of battery before it started. Luckily it fired but it made me think I should be looking deeper in to it. Now with all the snow on the ground it would be a good time to tear into it.

paulthelefty do you still have the battery on your bike?

Just kind of wondering if there is a way to eliminate most of the stuff that comes with the e start like an XR...

Sam

I kept the battery, they call it the "magic" button for a reason! I primarily use the button, I would say about 80%/20%. It is very confidence inspiring to kick the bike over and it catches first time when warm.

Paul

Do you guys think that this would work on the 230?

I am not sure if the engines are configured the same. I would call your Yamaha dealer and ask if they sell a kit for the 230 or if the kit for the 250 will work on the 230. Also there are some links to posts at the bottom of this page that talk some about the 230/225. You might be able to pick some info up there.

Sam

I checked on the yamaha web site and they make a kit for the XT 225. I just don't know why they would make a kit for the 250 and not the 230.

Isn't the 225 the basic same engine as the 230? If so that should work just fine on your bike.. Let us know what you find.

I want to buy the kit, but I'm nervous about the entire thing. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm 25 and I know my way around a bike pretty well. I just don't want to waste the money if it dosn't work, and I'm also nervous about screwing something up in the bike.

BUMP...old topic.  Still a big need in the USA for these.  Anybody know of a Kick Starter kit out there for sale?  New or Used?  Thanks!

I don't think there is a huge need for anything TTR250. I have a 2003 and you can't find much of anything aftermarket for it. It's been a great bike, the last of the full-sized play bikes. Not really sure why the 230 bikes seem to be more popular or why nobody makes an air cooled full sized bike. I'll probably use this one until something major fails. It's having occasional starter issues and the chain guide is long gone (using heavily modified fork guards). Don't want to put any real money into it and will probably just part it out when it finally breaks. Very reliable, runs out nice but heavy and only factory parts available, and a dwindling number of them as well.

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:12 PM, offrd beatr said:

I don't think there is a huge need for anything TTR250. I have a 2003 and you can't find much of anything aftermarket for it. It's been a great bike, the last of the full-sized play bikes. Not really sure why the 230 bikes seem to be more popular or why nobody makes an air cooled full sized bike. I'll probably use this one until something major fails. It's having occasional starter issues and the chain guide is long gone (using heavily modified fork guards). Don't want to put any real money into it and will probably just part it out when it finally breaks. Very reliable, runs out nice but heavy and only factory parts available, and a dwindling number of them as well.

So true... Awesome bikes though. I love mine, but sometimes the weight gets to me and I think about replacing it with a nice lightweight KTM woods 2-stroke. I was out riding last Friday and met a fellow with a tricked out 2017 KTM300 woods bike... after chatting for a while I talked him into letting me ride it. I don't care what they say about "tractable power" etc... that thing was still a light switch 2-stroke and I wouldn't trade my '02 TTR250 for it! You just can't hardly find a good fun easy riding bike like the TTR250 anymore... although I saw one for sale locally a while back. They are still around and go fast on Craigslist if priced right. A lot more were sold overseas, where they come with a kick lever, by the way.