Sign in to follow this  

450/525 EXC Power

First off, sorry if this gets asked a lot. I've searched around and have gotten conflicting reports.

I am considering a 2007 450 or 525 EXC. I've never ridden one. But I have sat on one at the dealer and it feels oh so good.

I current ride a Kawasaki KLX250S w/331cc big bore kit, Keihin 35mm FCR carb, upgraded exhaust, etc. It runs pretty good - gets around 27 HP, front wheel comes up pretty easily in 1st no clutch, and with effort in 2nd. It's pretty close to where I want it, but it has required a lot of $$ and effort to get it there. I wouldn't mind moving up to a bike that is already where I want it instead of incrementally improving the one I have.

If I moved up to a 450 or 525 EXC, what kind of power could I expect? Is that going to be CRAZY power that wants to launch me into oblivion at every throttle blip? Or is it more controlled? In looking at the dyno curves of the 450 and 500, they both top out pretty close to one another but the 525 seems to have a lot more low-end grunt. Is that the case?

I'm about 180 lbs, intermediate rider, and I ride eastern woods single-track, back roads, and the occasional 15 mile commute to work, small town roads, no freeway.

Just looking for some input to help me make my decision. Thanks!

Now most of the pros run the 400 4st as they say it has enought power and the 450 and 525 is more than ya need. Thats what they say. I bought the 450 exc because its street legal and 400 is not. Also finding a 400 is easier said than done. I think my 450 makes 45-50 hp with the exhaust mod.

Without opening up the exhaust (Loud Sucks!), my 525 is very progressive, have the JD kit + O ring on the accel pump arm and still very progressive BUT losts of jam if you want it.

All that has to happen now is to get rid of the 1.5ft of snow that we have all over and then we can get rolling again.

Not shure what year wjohn has but delmar has the 07 and the muffler badly needs to be modified on them to be equal to the 06 and run right.

I to would highly recomend you find a 400, they have plenty of steam and are much less tiring to ride so you can ride at your peak much longer

Without opening up the exhaust (Loud Sucks!), my 525 is very progressive, have the JD kit + O ring on the accel pump arm and still very progressive BUT losts of jam if you want it.

All that has to happen now is to get rid of the 1.5ft of snow that we have all over and then we can get rolling again.

I don't think theres really too much a difference in sound between corked and uncorked. In fact I think it's barely noticeable. Yes, I have excellent hearing. Remember, a free breathing engine is a healthy engine.:applause:

The 525 is VERY powerful but not TM400 explosive. if any of you old timers remember that monster. That was a bike that wanted blood. On the other end of the specktrum, the EXC has a more linier power delivery. It seems to inspire confidence as it will accellerate decievingly smooth to speeds that are a little too insane for a dirtbike. This is truley the BEST dirtbike money can buy! I wish I would have made the Orange jump years ago.

The 525 is VERY powerful but not TM400 explosive. if any of you old timers remember that monster. That was a bike that wanted blood. On the other end of the specktrum, the EXC has a more linier power delivery. It seems to inspire confidence as it will accellerate decievingly smooth to speeds that are a little too insane for a dirtbike. This is truley the BEST dirtbike money can buy! I wish I would have made the Orange jump years ago.

Do you know if the 450 comparable in its power delivery? I've heard the 450 is better in the tight stuff, not so much due to weight, but that the larger mass of the 525 piston makes it feel bulkier. I'm just repeating what I've heard, I don't have direct experience.

Nether EXC bikes has crazy...BANG...power both have a nice power delivery that you have to ask for, but you do know when it's coming on.

You just have to ask a little more with the 450 then the 525 and the 525 takes a little more throttle control. The 525 guys love the smooth roll on show off power wheelies.

I've got an '05 525exc. The power is very, very controllable -- it's a very easy bike to ride long wheelies and do fireroad power slides on. It almost feels like electric power, it's so linear.

I use mine for ice racing, dual-sport stuff, and I will do some supermoto this summer (5.5" wide rear rim = tight fit!). I absolutely love it for this stuff.

I have a 200exc for racing enduros and fast woods riding. The 450/525 chassis works fine, but I'm 5'7" and 135lbs, and it's just too heavy for me if I'm trying to go fast in the woods. The 525 also overheats easily in the tight - I put a fan on it.

A buddy of mine ice races a 450exc. We've swapped bikes, and I really don't feel that big a difference in power between the two on the ice. The 450 is really plenty of motor, I just went with the 525 because I sometimes ride it on the road (and I love HP!).

Personaly I have the 450 and is ok. I would go with the 525. They handle the same and you have more power when you need it. You don't have to ride the bike full throttle all the time.:applause:

I bought a 450 and turned it into a 525. I didnt notice any difference on how it handled the tight stuff. Other than using alittle more throttle control when leaned over. You really feel the difference on a hill, tractors up with almost no effort.I felt I had to ride the 450 harder to do the same hill.

To give you another idea on power out-put, a KTM 250F (in stock from) will out power a modfied KLX 250 and will be lighter.

Just from my knowledge.

To give you another idea on power out-put, a KTM 250F (in stock from) will out power a modfied KLX 250 and will be lighter.

Just from my knowledge.

No doubt, and then some!

Nether EXC bikes has crazy...BANG...power both have a nice power delivery that you have to ask for, but you do know when it's coming on.

You just have to ask a little more with the 450 then the 525 and the 525 takes a little more throttle control. The 525 guys love the smooth roll on show off power wheelies.

Bingo. Exactly why I love and have chosen 525.

Then what would really justify the choice of 450 over 525 since they have exactly the same weight, and alike frame, etc? You definitely get much better power/weight ratio with 525.

You have to do alot to the exc's to make them run like race bikes--there is a reason they were able to make them street legal :applause:

The feedback here has been great - greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the 450EXC will be plenty for me. If I got the 450EXC, then later decided that I wanted a little more, will the 525 cylinder, piston, rings, pin, and gaskets just a bolt-on to the 450? Do the 450 and 525 share the same head?

I'd rather start with the 450 since either way it is going to be a rather big jump from what I'm riding now. If I can easily go to a 525 later but simply changing out the cylinder, piston, and related parts, then that would be sweet.

Thanks again for all the feedback, it has been extremely helpful!

The feedback here has been great - greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure the 450EXC will be plenty for me. If I got the 450EXC, then later decided that I wanted a little more, will the 525 cylinder, piston, rings, pin, and gaskets just a bolt-on to the 450? Do the 450 and 525 share the same head?

I'd rather start with the 450 since either way it is going to be a rather big jump from what I'm riding now. If I can easily go to a 525 later but simply changing out the cylinder, piston, and related parts, then that would be sweet.

Thanks again for all the feedback, it has been extremely helpful!

Just buy the piston and cylinder set up. The head, carb, valves, cam and everything else is the same.

You won't regret the 450 living in NC. I personally like the 450 here in the South East over the 525, but most of the larger guys do same to favor the 525. The only time I have seen a true 525 power advantage was on a long sandy open power line.

I have a 200exc with a little motor work. I can pop 4th maybe 5th gear wheelie with no clutch. I can wheelie 5ht with effort. I'm not trying to brag but im just saying my weedwacka cant touch a 450 never mind a 525 in a drag race. The four strokes hook and lets put it nicely... they screw