Sign in to follow this  

Rider Shot on Mt Emma

Do we all need to go to Palmdale to help find this "person". I'll cruise the Rhino see if can flush the MF out...

I didn't know you could ride back there. I use to walk my dogs up there. There's some decent hills to climb near Cheseboro, but you can ride the entire area several times in about 1 hour.

Theres some crazy koots up there. I suspect the guy that owns the cougar ranch to be a nut job. I sometimes hear his cats making noises (and not meowing) when I'm picking up rocks for my front yard. They probably smell my overly plump rotty.

• Like 1

I didn't know you could ride back there. I use to walk my dogs up there. There's some decent hills to climb near Cheseboro, but you can ride the entire area several times in about 1 hour.

Theres some crazy koots up there. I suspect the guy that owns the cougar ranch to be a nut job. I sometimes hear his cats making noises (and not meowing) when I'm picking up rocks for my front yard. They probably smell my overly plump rotty.

Us fellow riders from Palmdale might need to get a posse together,like the old west days...

You can't legally ride up inthe area unless you are dual sported and stick to existing roads, trails and two track. I live just off angeles forest highway, and my son and I ride up the area quite often (we are both DS'd). You can get all the way up to Devil's Punchbowl and beyond ont he east, and Mt Pacifico and even to the Rincon bypass with very little pavement.

I have had many "discussions" with both the locals (particularly the Acton equestrian community) and the LA couty Sherrifs (on their DR400's) while riding the area. Most of the locals flag us down and yell at us for "making noise and kicking up dust". We explain to them that we are a) well within our rights as the bikes are street legal and we are complying with all of the applicable laws; and :applause: are riding slowly and courteously in their area, even shutting down when horses approach (duh...how could we be talking to them if we didn't shut down). Our bikes are both fairly quiet (PMB quiet inserts), and we ride responsibly near houses and such.

There are some real whack jobs up there, though. The further up you go on Angeles Forest, in seems the wackeder they get. I hear from some of the neighbors that there may bea meth lab or two up that way as well...

Sounds like if you want to go riding around there you need to be packing. I know now not to head over to that side of the valley.:applause:

this really makes me :applause: mad i hope the kid makes a quick recovery and i hope they catch the punk before someone else is killed

Yikes!! I've always had the fear of getting shot at where I used to live. I lived in Mendocino CA, and thats like the biggest pot grounding area in the US. So riding those old logging roads got a little creepy at times

I'm sorry but I need more info before I pass judgement either way. What was the dispute about and what exactly did these riders say to the man with the gun? I used to ask the same questions of the kids in my neighborhood when they would be crying because "Billy hit me". You find out that Billy was pushed and called a bunch of names before "Billy hit me!" Perhaps he called them on riding illegally and they called him names and roosted him and did donuts around him and threatened him?

I'm not excusing the shooter by any means but people don't usually resort to gun play for no reason. Grill the poor victim, 'who would never say a bad word or think a bad thought in his life', and grill his friends too. It will be interesting to find out the whole story and not just one side.

So, let's hold off on the posse for now.

Dave

I'm sorry but I need more info before I pass judgement either way. What was the dispute about and what exactly did these riders say to the man with the gun? I used to ask the same questions of the kids in my neighborhood when they would be crying because "Billy hit me". You find out that Billy was pushed and called a bunch of names before "Billy hit me!" Perhaps he called them on riding illegally and they called him names and roosted him and did donuts around him and threatened him?

I'm not excusing the shooter by any means but people don't usually resort to gun play for no reason. Grill the poor victim, 'who would never say a bad word or think a bad thought in his life', and grill his friends too. It will be interesting to find out the whole story and not just one side.

So, let's hold off on the posse for now.

Dave

Give me a break. :applause:

What you mean is that "normal" people don't resort to the use of guns unless their life is threatened. But nutcases do. These people are often referred to as "criminals." There is enough information here to make a judgment about who crossed the line. People defending their lives with a gun don't flee the scene either. They are the ones who call the police.

R

• Like 1

Kill em in the name of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

&%$#@!? I live and ride the mount ema area and the only thing i have incountered were the cops on there dzr,s. There used to be some

target shooting out there but that got shut down. I think this is

a case of some crazy fool and some young guys whip in it up

and the nut went off.. No excuse. He must be caught and delt

with in the hardest sense. This only means now the cops will be

patroling more in that area and we are all f,d!

I'm sorry but I need more info before I pass judgement either way.

Dave

Are you insane or just stupid? The kids were shot from about 200 yards away! That alone rules out any self defense issue here.

And the kids may have called him names? That is a shooting offense in your book?

There is always two sides to every story.

"The teens told deputies the man walked about 200 yards away, then started shooting at them with what appeared to be a .22 rifle."

That statement is clearly one sided and should be suspect until both sides have their say or an eye witness steps forward.

Even is cases of self defense, the person defending him/herself still has dealings with authorities and could end up with monetary issues if they need to secure an attorney. Court appearances, lost time at work, property held as evidence can be a hassle.

It can and does cost to defend your rights, even when the law states you are totally justified in your actions.

My opinon is that these youths were out target practicing and experienced an accidental shooting.

Right, an 'old man', carrying a weapon, walked out into the desert confronted them, walked away, shot at them and then just vanished. Hmmm...

The boy stated: "No clear description of the man was immediately available, but deputies said he appeared to be white."

That is because there was no 'old man'. It easier to keep stories straight if no one can remember what this 'old man' looked like.

I say, ask the parents if there is a weapon missing from any of the boy's homes.

There is way more to this tale. Let's wait and see.

I've got kids riding around my place all the time. Usually it's not a big deal, but sometimes they are asking for trouble. Balls out full throttle, wheelies down the residential street, etc.

It's Cal City in the neighboorhood. Shooting can not be condoned, but some of these kids need a serious spanking and have their bikes confiscated.

I once saw a kid racing down 25 St E thru the Pearblossom Hwy, doing at least 50 with no helmet on a quad. One foot in the grave. :applause:

My opinon is that these youths were out target practicing and experienced an accidental shooting.

Right, an 'old man', carrying a weapon, walked out into the desert confronted them, walked away, shot at them and then just vanished. Hmmm...

The boy stated: "No clear description of the man was immediately available, but deputies said he appeared to be white."

That is because there was no 'old man'. It easier to keep stories straight if no one can remember what this 'old man' looked like.

I say, ask the parents if there is a weapon missing from any of the boy's homes.

There is way more to this tale. Let's wait and see.

That sounds very possible. Cops can usually keyed in on the teenage phony BS real fast.

I think these three kids getting their stories together and sticking to them without exposing any loopholes to the cops is far fetched.

If the cops picked up on any inconsistencies in their stories they would not have had a SWAT team come out and search the area. Thats a lot of dough to call in a bunch of guys who are off duty and then getting a search going.

I think these three kids getting their stories together and sticking to them without exposing any loopholes to the cops is far fetched.

If the cops picked up on any inconsistencies in their stories they would not have had a SWAT team come out and search the area. Thats a lot of dough to call in a bunch of guys who are off duty and then getting a search going.

I don't think the cops can waste too much time trying to figure out the story very fast when a alledged shooter may be loose in the desert.

They will always error on the side of caution. Call out the big guns, secure the area and then figure out the details later.