Sign in to follow this  

For MX - To Use a Damper or Not to Use a Damper?

it's all up to the rider, most factory teams use them, but have works units that are small and out of the way. for most people, they probably would make a difference, but arent worth it IMO. i would definatly run them offroad though :applause:

The steering damper works best if the track/terrain is rough and choppy. It works great out in the desert during high speed sections too. That being said, you might want to consider setting up your suspension or having it re-valve rather then spending it on a Steering damper if it's just mx your doing.

Great.

So far it seems the concensous is not it's worth the money

for what I do.

Yeah, I've got Factory Connection front and back -bought the bike

2nd hand. I had a guy set it up for my big frame of 250 trackside.

More opinions welcome of course.

If you have suspension set up for your wieght and riding ability already, then do yourself a favor and spend the cash on a damper. The money spent will reward you with less fatigue and allow you to ride harder/faster longer. The rougher a track gets, the more you will appreciate the stabilizer. A damper is well worth the money, more so than anything else you can put on your bike now that you already have the suspension set up.

I didn't have one for years, but I will NEVER ride without one again. My suspension is very well set up, but the damper opened up a whole new world for me. Here are a few things:

1. Pothole in face of jump. The kind that rips the bars out of your hands, etc. no problem with damper.

2. Rough rutted corners. Front end remains planted and no headshake of any form.

3. Rough track with squre edged holes. I can relax my hands and not have any problems with the damper since the front wheel stays where I put it.

4. Sand. Yes, sand. Where sand normally will take your wheel wherever it wants, the wheels stays planted. Works for mud also.

5. Landing short or crossed up a bit on jumps. Not a good thing, but where the bars would normally get really ripped out of your hands, no problem with the damper.

Get the Scotts. Really is the best, especially with the high/low speed damping that the others do not have. Mount it on the fender if you value your teeth. This weekend, in fact, I was out at a fairly rough track. My buddies were getting a bit of shake through the fast rough sections and I was just riding along, no problems. I let them ride my bike and there are now 3 more dampers on order. LOL.

James

I have a RTT stabalizer. Got it used and then had it rebuilt, otherwise the price would have been rough. It has a switch so you can turn it 100% 50% or off. And that is relative to a 1-9 setting. For MX I dont like it on anything over 50% #6 If you try and make a quick turn with it on, sometimes it slows down your input and gets my ballance off. Also if you land a jump off ballance for all the reson one would land off ballance, it is harder to make quick steering changes once you land, and the bike kinda ghost rides itself out for a second. I imagine the pro's who use them, use only a verry limited valving to avoid the problems I mentiond.

For Grand Prix racing however it is great. I can leave it on through the desert and turn it off on the fly going into the MX. For streight MX it will only have minilan help

it's all up to the rider, most factory teams use them, but have works units that are small and out of the way. for most people, they probably would make a difference, but arent worth it IMO. i would definatly run them offroad though :applause:

When will the smaller units be available. I have an idea about putting a Scott fender mount under the fender so as not to see it. Some of the great minds from TT need to develop one. I know I care too much about looks- I'm shallow:busted:

WER makes a nice fender mounted damper that is easy to tune and install !

I googled WER and looked at the prices.

For that money, I'd have the Scotts!

I have a Scotts fender mounted damper on my '04CRF. It really helps the confidence to charge through fast, rough stuff.

But I bought if because I wanted the extra edge on my buddies for racing. If you're not racing then I wouldn't bother. On a scale of 1-10 of important things for riding and having fun, I give the damper a solid 5.

I just have found that with properly tuned suspension (clickers, etc), the damper doesn't make that big of a difference (for me anyway) unless I am tired. And if you are tired and you aren't racing, stop and take a rest!

I thought about the WER, but it doesn't have the features of the Scotts. Compare the two. There is a reason why the Scotts has been named "product of the year" in every single magazine for almost 20 years. It works, works well, everywhere.

James

I love dampers on the track. They work wonders. i just wish I could get a tiny little one that tucks under my front plate so nicely like the factory folks.

I run the scotts and love it but instead of going with the fender mounted system I run Renthal Twinwalls and put a slight bend in the cross bar so the stabilizer will fit just underneath. I then cut the crossbar pad to fit around it so it looks clean, I am protected from it, and is out of the way. I can post some pics if you want. The only down side is that I cannot change the settings on the fly but if you ride MX only this is a non issue. I am stoked on mine. Next to getting my suspension done it was the best thing for me.

I just got my suspension done and now my bike turns better but I have more headshake and the front end just wants to grab everything, which is fine while going slow. This is what Im buying in the next week, no crossbar bending needed! :applause:

513.jpg

It raises the bar approx an inch.

http://www.rttmotorsports.com/

I have been running this on my 06 CRFR. Super sleek and works like a champ. I didnt think the remote adjuster would be good and just get in my way, but its realy nice being able to adjust on the fly. I see lots of FMX guys running the WER and dont know why they dont run this RTT, it loooks and performs better than the WER.

Okay, I'm back after a year lay off from 3 broken ribs and a grade 3 AC separation. :lol:

What's that got to do with running a Dampener for MX? If I'd been running one I WOULD NOT HAVE CRASHED. I was leading my moto one second and on the ground the next.

I say again, I WOULD NOT HAVE CRASHED. Bold statement? People who saw me crash bars were ripped from my hands... The culprit was a little clay rut that had dried and hardened in a section of the RaceTown Vet track. Suspension, sure! Very important on both the performance and SAFETY fronts. I now consider a dampener "safety equipment" not just a "nice to have". If it's good enough for factory Honda, it's good enough for me. :applause:

I've run dampeners in the past, I ride desert all the time and have had a dampener on my "desert" bikes most of the time. But I will have them on ALL my bikes from now on!

So which one? The features I look at…. Adjust on the fly, High AND low speed dampening, Dampened or "free" return to center.

For me, the two separate circuits - having BOTH high speed and low speed is the discriminator. Unless you are factory Honda and your dampener monitors the ECU to modify the amount of dampening "on the fly".

GPR - Great service, nice unit but no High speed circuit and dampens on return to center which I don't like…

RRT - Seal leaking issues ( do a search on this site… ), can't be moved bike to bike and no High speed circuit.

Wer - never seen one, so I can't say.

Scott's - High and low speed circuit, no dampening to center.

To me, the Scott's is the hands down winner…. :applause: If I can't have the factory Honda unit. Why? Because I can set it to "0" and I feel nothing…no difference from not running a dampener and it will still STOP a high speed hit from ripping the bars from my hands. It's the only unit that we can buy that has this feature. Plus, they are known for being bullet proof and can be moved from bike to bike. The new "sub" mount is what I'll be adding to both my CRF250 and CRF450 before I see another track day.

http://www.rttmotorsports.com/

I have been running this on my 06 CRFR. Super sleek and works like a champ. I didnt think the remote adjuster would be good and just get in my way, but its realy nice being able to adjust on the fly. I see lots of FMX guys running the WER and dont know why they dont run this RTT, it loooks and performs better than the WER.

My buddy has had nothing but problems with his RTT. It leaks and the customer service he got was just horible. I have a GPR and love it. But you only here good things about the Scotts as well.

-Fu