Sign in to follow this  

Trip to Taskers Gap or ??

I'm planning a riding/camping trip probably in June. Last year we went to Greenridge State Forest and camped at Rocky Gap in a cabin. We had a great time there and would not mind going back. Having said that I would love to try someplace new. We are mainly into trail riding and trying to stay within 2-3 hour drive. Taskers Gap looks nice. Would love to be able to ride to and from campsite but I see they only have primitive camping and I need a shower / running water, a cabin is even better for plugging in cellphones, battery chargers, etc. If we go to Taskers any suggestions on camping? Any suggestions on other places? We are not beginers but we are not experts either. Thanks, Guy

The Cove has cabins but not very much riding. They are good for a day trip but they also have a lake and other things to do.

Guy: Where are you in Maryland? Your situation sounds similar to mine, and we also have camped and rode at Greenridge. Taskers Gap and the Cove have terrain more difficult with Greenridge (rocks, rocks, and more rocks), and it may be a problem if you have younger riders. We went to the Alleghany National Forest last year and had a great time, but it's a 5 hour drive from the Baltimore area.

avnesq, I'm in Bel Air, Harford County. We really enjoy Greenridge but looking to try something new. Nothing around here and everything is way far. Is Taskers rockier than Greenridge? The whole backside of Greenridge is nothing but rocks. A nice Challenge! Where are you located? Guy

I too drive to GR SF from Baltimore area, decided one day to try Taskers Gap.The rocks were unmerciful, just not what I'm into.

The area and setup is great,just too brutal.

One hundred yards off the parking lot on the "easy trail" is the "rock garden"

it is called.&%$#@!.

' Best is the "tread lightly" pamplets to "stay on the trail". We could barely make it through the "trail" i was just curious where I was going to go "off?" the trail.

Somewhere online I saw a picture of a scenic smooth dirt trail with trees shading it , don't know where that was we never saw that part.!

Thanks for the replies. Maybe Taskers Gap is not such a good idea. Any other ideas? I would love to go to Hatfield-McCoy, just too far. Thanks, Guy

Hatfield and McCoy is only to far for those who don't know how great it is. The drive is worth every minute. I have been going twice a year for the last couple years and still find new trails. It is worth the drive.

There are great places to ride at TG - you just need to know where to go. Unfortunately the trails within the immediate vicinity of the parking lot are pretty torn up and rocky.

We always start with a ride down peters mill - it's a 16 mile trip out & back on a nice dirt road opposite Rt 675 from the main parking lot. Taskers gap road is a lot of fun too - taught my wife and daughter to ride there, but it's a little harder to get to.

With some luck, some RTP funds, and a proposed user fee system, the Forest Service will be able to do some tread work on the main loop this year, but it's definitely in tough shape right now.

I rode at Taskers Gap about 6 weeks ago. We went south for better weather but ended up riding in the snow. The trails were still good, but slippery. I plan to go back when they open back up in the spring.

I was thinking of planning a two day trip, one at the Cove and the other at Taskers Gap.

I am in Ellicott City. The backside of Greenridge is rocky, but nothing compared to Taskers or the Cove. You might want to try Tower City. It would be less than two hours from your location.

I am in Ellicott City. The backside of Greenridge is rocky, but nothing compared to Taskers or the Cove. You might want to try Tower City. It would be less than two hours from your location.