Sign in to follow this  

What is your Favorite Vintage bike?

thats a pretty easy one for me... Honda XL 350, from '74-'78. If i had to pick one of THOSE bikes, itd probably be the '78 just because of the memories. The '74 and '75 are more vintage-ish and fun to play with though. The other reason i like them is cause they aint really anything special, parts arent to spendy or hard to find. Dang. cats out of the bag now!

I had a Redline Honda XL449 that was real run, also my Penda :applause:, just a great all around fun ride, it's my Elsinore beater:worthy: . Now it's my 83 CR480. Talk to me in a few months and it will be something different. :lol: We have a 100cc class we started a few years ago and I rode my 75 MX100 in that class, also a blast to ride, just rev and go. Now I just built my SL100 for that class so we'll see. :applause:

I have always wanted one of the bikes i watched raced when I was a kid. Their utter simplicity and KISS-desing is somethign I still like:

A Harley KR 750:

nix68KRmatzc.jpg

I guess all the Hodaka fans are coming out of the woodwork! Had a blast on mine in the 70's. Blue frame, orange tank & fenders (Preston Petty front)... you know, different! Wish I still had it.

Hmmmmmmm

Could be:

The 65 305 scrambler I rescued at a bone yard $20 from the frozen mud, all locked up. Re built it and raced it at Honda Hills in the AHRMA premier 500II class and getting a trophy.

OR

The 1971 Yamaha AT-1 from a bone yard $40 new piston and some tranny gears. I won the overall at the first AHRMA classic 125 class in Florida.

OR

My super hyper Elsinore 125 that I won the 1994 sportsman 125 national championship on.

OR

My Hoosk 125 that I won the 1996 classic 125 expert National Championship on.

OR

That HD Baja 100 I got from the bone yard that I have yet to restore.

OR

My first "real" bike, a 1973 XR75.

OR

My 1977 RM100B that had Mag Zokes, Fox air shox, FMF pipe, DG tall seat kit, Mototec ignition....I went 18 first, a second (got beat by Joel Andrews) and a fifth (CDI box failed) to win the Buckeye Raceway Overall Track Championship on

BUT ovarall, my 1969 Honda Z50 is my fav bike hands down.

A Penton Six Day. This is the bike that changed it all. The 1st out of the crate bike that could compete on a world wide level.

My 71 Maico 250. I got it in 73 and still have it. I learned how to ride and work on dirt bikes with it. I will always like the old Maicos, great bikes. Ed

I don't suspose a 1939 Supercharged V4 counts as a Thumper, but what a machine ...........

1939AJSSUPERCHARGEDV4.jpg

My BSA B50 MX. It handles great, is fun to ride, and makes the sweetest sound while making gobs of torque!

CharlieT,

That particular KR you pictured won ALL of the mile nationals in 1968 with the late Fred Nix in the saddle, even so, Gary Nixon won the Championship on his Triumph 500! Do you have, or do you know the whereabouts of that particular machine?

I don't suspose a 1939 Supercharged V4 counts as a Thumper, but what a machine ...........

1939AJSSUPERCHARGEDV4.jpg

That's a cool bike. Looks like it's water cooled??? I didn't know aJs went back that far. I had a Stormer in the early 70s

Yamaha RD400 air-cooled (red/white/black). A buddy had one in high school and he let me ride all the time. One word: powerband. When that thing kicked in, you'd better be holding on tight. I have since recovered from my adrenaline addiction. **sigh**

That's a great question, I haven't thought about that for years. I raced a DT1-Yamaha for a long time. It was a great woods and a motocross bike. Later I got a ride on CZ's with a distributer from Little Rock, Arkansas named Clint Cavin. I rode those for a long time and got off on the Elsinore Honda. There was a lot of bikes in-between and lots of the DT1's, CZ's and Elsinores. For that day, they were all good.

The CZ's had a lot of front fork seal leaks, the Honda's stopped all that, if I remember right I raced it for 35 heat races without a mechinacal faliure. The DT1's biggest problem was the transmission.

The bikes that I did not care for was about a 1971 Husky and the earlier 250cc pentons. There was something about the foot pegs on the Penton and the husky just didn't seem to be up to speed. The earlier bikes that I raced were on the verge of terrible. A 1966 Honda Hawk and later a 1977 Bultaco Pursang. Then a 238cc Green Streak kawasaki. The Bul would have been OK but I could never keep it running, but I do wish I still had it now.

I quit riding for 24 years and started back a few yesars ago and have settled in on the KTM,s, I now have a new 250ccXCF and I think it is the greatest thing going. The worst thing about the bikes is now if they were all the same color you could not tell who manufactured them. Back in the old days you could tell by the look a mile away. Hope I haven't went on too long.

CharlieT,

That particular KR you pictured won ALL of the mile nationals in 1968 with the late Fred Nix in the saddle, even so, Gary Nixon won the Championship on his Triumph 500! Do you have, or do you know the whereabouts of that particular machine?

Just found the pic by using google images for KR 750, I beleive.

Wasn't Nix killed in a non-racing accident the next year or maybe two after that? Been a long time...........but I do remember who ran the #9.:applause: