When rebuilding OEM muffler should I reuse that metal screen wrapped around the core?

My '05 CRF450 was getting really raspy sounding so I pulled apart the stock muffler to repack it and I did a pretty good job or tearing up that screen thing that wraps around the core.

Should I use that thing or what?

What does it do?

Thanks.

It prevents the packing from getting burned due to direct contact with hot gases/fire (like the backfire screen in your airfilter cage does on occasion)

Start up your bike in the evening and you see your bike breathing fire when you twist the throttle.

When you remove it the packing won't last long.

My '05 CRF450 was getting really raspy sounding so I pulled apart the stock muffler to repack it and I did a pretty good job or tearing up that screen thing that wraps around the core.

Should I use that thing or what?

What does it do?

Thanks.

YES :applause:

I would leave the stock layer of stainless wool and knitted wire on the core as it will improve the durability of whatever packing you put around it. These thicker layers of wool like that in the stock Honda mufflers serve a few purposes. Primarily, they work like a filter to protect weaker glass fibers from the pulsing push and pull of exhaust gas pulses. It also serves as a sort of heat sink, conducting the most intense heat away from the front of the muffler. Honda didn't patent it for nothing!

I would leave the stock layer of stainless wool and knitted wire on the core as it will improve the durability of whatever packing you put around it. These thicker layers of wool like that in the stock Honda mufflers serve a few purposes. Primarily, they work like a filter to protect weaker glass fibers from the pulsing push and pull of exhaust gas pulses. It also serves as a sort of heat sink, conducting the most intense heat away from the front of the muffler. Honda didn't patent it for nothing!

good info , thanks for the tips you gave me the other day :applause:

Awww Sh@t!!! That things long gone to the landfill.

Wanna hear something really neat? Fire up your bike with the core out. I did when I was repacking my Thunder Alley. Shortly after I turned it off, God called and said if I do that again, it dont matter how or what I do, I aint welcome... :applause:

I know , these little muffs on these things really do knock the noise way down , did your ears stop ringing yet ?

I know , these little muffs on these things really do knock the noise way down , did your ears stop ringing yet ?

My ears have been ringing since the early 80's from tuning all kinds of stupid 13:1 C/R open headered motors. Its amazing the noise a 440 inch big Chevy makes at 7000 RPM right at the header. Its also a stupid thing to time a Super Stock Flatbottom that pulls off the nose of the crank without head phones. :applause:

My ears have been ringing since the early 80's from tuning all kinds of stupid 13:1 C/R open headered motors. Its amazing the noise a 440 inch big Chevy makes at 7000 RPM right at the header. Its also a stupid thing to time a Super Stock Flatbottom that pulls off the nose of the crank without head phones.?

I know what your talking about , Im in the same boat :applause: pun intended