Sign in to follow this  

16.5" - Old hat?

I have heard that 16.5 rims aren't as good as everyone hyped them to be... I am getting ready to lace up a second set of wheels (currently have a 17 front). Should I lace up an additional 17 front? Are 16.5 fronts on their way out?

I have heard that 16.5 rims aren't as good as everyone hyped them to be... I am getting ready to lace up a second set of wheels (currently have a 17 front). Should I lace up an additional 17 front? Are 16.5 fronts on their way out?

Makes all the difference in the world on both of my bikes, I would never go back to a 17' on the race bike and I have since put a 16.5 on the street legal (yeah right) version and while I do not ride nearly as fast on the street as I do on a track, it makes the bike feel much nicer at full lean.

The main difference I notice is that the chatter is virtually non existent where with the 17 it was ALWAYS there.

It may not seem like much but the difference is in the height of the sidewall of the front tire and thats what does it, the sidewall is much more pliable and absorbs more of the small sharp edged stuff.

Makes all the difference in the world on both of my bikes, I would never go back to a 17' on the race bike and I have since put a 16.5 on the street legal (yeah right) version and while I do not ride nearly as fast on the street as I do on a track, it makes the bike feel much nicer at full lean.

The main difference I notice is that the chatter is virtually non existent where with the 17 it was ALWAYS there.

It may not seem like much but the difference is in the height of the sidewall of the front tire and thats what does it, the sidewall is much more pliable and absorbs more of the small sharp edged stuff.

:applause: :applause: :lol::cry: i would never go back either ,anyone want any 17inch rims let me know i have 3 front for a crf {2 new}and 2 brand new fronts for the aprilia never been ridden on ,16.5 is the only way to go

16.5 will be around for awhile. and i think the gains are worth it. like they said chatter pretty much gone.