Sign in to follow this  

Tubes - Standard or Heavy Duty?

Standard tubes or heavy duty tubes.

Which tire tubes do you use and why?

:applause:

Bridgestone Xtra Heavy Duty tubes....

I am a big boy I need all the help I can get. :applause:

They feel twice as thick as Moose Heavy duty tubes....not all heavy duty tubes are alike.

I agree, Moose tubes are a great product though.

I agree, Moose tubes are a great product though.

Oops I didn't mean to say they are not. I have a couple (fr and rr) in my tool box just incase I need them but I have the Bridgestones in my wheels. :applause:

Thanks for clarifying.

Is there a downside to using standard?

It's not much more to get the HD in most cases...why wouldn't everyone do it?

I assume they don't fold up as small as standard. If you are carrying into the backwoods, a standard is probably lighter and easier to store in a back or fender pack.

I use Pirelli Scorpion heavy duty tubes (around 3mm thick). I often run very low pressures in a couple of my local areas, slimy mud and clay with harder stretches with big sharp loose rock, I found I get less pinch flats there with them. I did notice that I had to drop pressures even lower with the heavy tubes to get the same effect. In soft stuff I used to run maybe 8psi rear / 10psi front and with the heavy tubes I get the same feel with 6psi / 9psi... and less flats.

4mm HD. Riding woods, I almost always run low pressure in my tires. Typically 6-9 psi in the rear and 9-11 psi in the front.

Bib Moose tube insert in front and tire/tyre balls in rear. I run H/S and Tire balls come in handy, I run around 8 PSI and almost never have one pop. I belive the bib moose insert is around 11 PSI

Bib Moose tube insert in front and tire/tyre balls in rear. I run H/S and Tire balls come in handy, I run around 8 PSI and almost never have one pop. I belive the bib moose insert is around 11 PSI

Ive been thinking about trying those, but figured they would be hard to get in. Anyways Michelin has some pretty good heavy duty tubes!

I always thought HD tubes helped prevent flats too, but some one told me all their really good at is lasting longer before they get thin from abrasion within the tire! I used to run only HD with a little "slime" inside but it doesnt work real well for offraod abuse I dont think!

MOOSE Heavy Duty :applause:

Same here. Asked for a tube at Royal Distributing and they gave me a heavy duty. Haven't looked back since. Also haven't had any pinches, just a little harder to install over regular tubes.

I'm changing a tire for a first time so i bought the cheap tube...Is it a good idea to cut the old tube and put the new one inside it then you have a double thick tube?

Ive been thinking about trying those, but figured they would be hard to get in. Anyways Michelin has some pretty good heavy duty tubes!

you mean the inserts right? I got both wheels for a little over $220, But gave the rear one to another bike and forgot to take it out when resale time came. They cost about $150 per tire and last a long time. If you are worried about not being able to get in it, take it to your shop.

For any weekend racer wanting tire balls, don't do it, its not worth the time/money. You will never half to buy tubes again, but just go with the insert.