Sign in to follow this  

how to start with fouled plug drz400e??

I've got a big ride tommorrow, and just playing around in the yard some with the DRZ, and maybe I left the Gas on , I dont remeber, but I have IMS tank on, and stock petcock, so I should be able to leave the gas on? but anyway, it appears the bike is fouled..

I run the battery down trying to start it... I got the battery charging now..

I hate to have to pull the tank off, but I may have to.. Its IMS and pain in the butt.. Usually on my DR650 I can try to start it and twist the throttle and within a few tries it will try to start.

Thats not working on the DRZ at all.. I can have the choke on, then try to start, then turn choke off, and it will barley hit a small lick.. Not even close to starting..

How should I go about trying to start it when I get the battery charged? should I have gas on /off? choke on/off? throttle twisted ??? how long should I let it sit?

Take the plug out, let it dry. While the bike is charging, put it in fifth and push it to pump air in the and out the plug hole. Later tonight, put the plug back in and see if you can start it. Gas on, no choke, no throttle. If it does not start, choke, no throttle, still does not start, twist the throttle open slowly and crank it.

Or if you happen to be stuck at some point in life, an old farmers trick is to pull the plug wire up off the plug a bit, creating a gap that the spark has to shoot between. This will give you a hotter spark and will often cut through a fuel fouled situation. :applause:

This happened to me last week in the bush, I would take out the plug clean it and wait for your battery to charge.

its not clear what the actual problem is you say the plug is fouled but associated it with leaving the gas on.

if the bike is flooded hold the throttle wide open while cranking.

if the plug is fouled take it out and clean or replace it...

if you want to enjoy your ride and no break down just bite the bullet and replace the plug:crazy: if you havent or cant get 1 clean the 1 you have. nothing worse than being on a trail with a stuffed bike. be happy:ride: very :applause: that it happaned at home. biking is not just riding its maintenance. if this was me and i couldnt get a new plug and a spare, some new fuel also, i wouldnt go on my ride tomorrow:cry: