2005 yz250f: What to look for?

Hey, I am prolly going to be getting a 2005 yz250f. The kid said he raced it a couple of times but nothing major. He said he just had the valves adjusted and it runs great, starting first kick. What should I look for when I meet up with this guy to look at the bike? Any specific things that 05's have that I should know about. I am comming from a 2004 crf450r so it is going to be a big change, hopefully for the good. Please let me know. Thanks:ride:

You'll love the 250F over the Crf450. I've ridden both quite a bit, the 250F is a great bike. If I were to name a top 5 of things I would look for:

1. At least test the compression. A leak down test is better, but for a quick over view, compression is OK.

2. Look at the oil. Crack the case open drain a cup or two of oil out of it, see how it comes out. It shouldn't be burned or black or anything. It should look clean at least. This by itself really only tells you more or less the last time they changed the oil, but its good to know.

3. Test the clutch and make sure it functions properly when the bike is cold AND when it's warm.

4. Check the spark plug for normal wear and make sure it looks good.

5. Check the air filter and air filter box, make sure BOTH are clean. It will let you know what kind of person you are dealing with. if the air filter box is dirty, chances are he didn't do the maintainance all that well.

You'll love the 250F over the Crf450. I've ridden both quite a bit, the 250F is a great bike. If I were to name a top 5 of things I would look for:

1. At least test the compression. A leak down test is better, but for a quick over view, compression is OK.

2. Look at the oil. Crack the case open drain a cup or two of oil out of it, see how it comes out. It shouldn't be burned or black or anything. It should look clean at least. This by itself really only tells you more or less the last time they changed the oil, but its good to know.

3. Test the clutch and make sure it functions properly when the bike is cold AND when it's warm.

4. Check the spark plug for normal wear and make sure it looks good.

5. Check the air filter and air filter box, make sure BOTH are clean. It will let you know what kind of person you are dealing with. if the air filter box is dirty, chances are he didn't do the maintainance all that well.

I dont think that I'll be able to do a leak down test or crack open the case. I'll check the oils, clutch, and air filter and all that. Anything else?

I dont think that I'll be able to do a leak down test or crack open the case. I'll check the oils, clutch, and air filter and all that. Anything else?

Tell the owner to take it to a dealer (of your choice) near by and you will pay for his bike to get a leak down test and check the valves. Its cheap insurance and that way you will know. I don't know how many times the seller of the bike have said to me, We just check that or I replaced that and when you ask for a work order or receipt the give you a blank stare.:applause:

check for an hourmeter and ask what his oil change interval is.

If he says" I use only the best motorcycle oil and change it per the manual which says 15 hrs" then be wary, very wary. If he brags about changing it every 2 rides then give it a check in the pro column.

How old is the kid?

I know this is kinda lame because of my age, but be weary of younger riders (especially if they look like they don't ride)

I went to go check out a bike and it was owned by a 17 year old punk, who had pants past his ass, a diamond studded earring, and claimed the bike had never been raced. I look at the numbers on the bike, and find a plethora of stickers on the toyhauler with the number on it.

I also found a lot of stripped bolts, missmatched bolts, and bolts in spots that shouldnt have even been there...

http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_0504_10_things_when_buying_a_used_dirtbike/